Zetaboards

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by Conor, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Conor

Conor Participant

+0
    http://s1.zetaboards.com/zb/index/

Zetaboards is a free forum software which is hosted by the creators for free on the site above. Im surpised not more forums use it, its actually quite good and compatible, i'd use it over any free forum software. It has a really big community, massive skin db and a massive mod db.

This site just shows what you can do with ZB - http://zbcode.com/index/

2. HarryWx

HarryWx IPB 3.0+ User

+14
    Thing is you can only grow your forum so far on a system like that. I am not even sure they offer database backups or whatever if you do decide to switch to another system and this is one of the main HUGE downfall's of using such systems. Plenty of places that now offer free hosting ( even WITHOUT ads ) that you can get all the needed database stuff etc so when you do need to move up you can.

3. Conor

Conor Participant

+0
    Yeah true is a downfall, but Is still a nice piece of sofrware.

4. Jura

Jura Devotee

+236
    No database access.

Never seen a forum grow too big for Invisionfree/Zetaboards.

5. XuanZhongda

XuanZhongda Aspirant

+0
    While I wouldn't say I've seen massive forums on Zetaboards... there has been some pretty damn big forums on it, one off the top my head over 3x bigger than this one.

Zetaboards is indeed a nice piece of software; I use it.

6. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Adherent

+7
    i dont like the domain names that you get-their name comes first, then the name you chose, which is just really hard to remember. i prefer the ones where your name comes at the front.

7. adbrad

adbrad Habitué

+16
    I would much rather use a free software such as mybb and host it my self that way i have full control over the board.

8. el canadiano

el canadiano But I said ███████████

+31
    I'd personally be interested in actually having Zetaboards setup on an external site.

Unlike most of the other remotely-hosted software, they actually care about all this stuff.

9. catomite

catomite Neophyte

+0
    Another recommendation here for ZetaBoards. Been running the free version 3 months now and can't say enough good about it. They have very active and helpful users and coders forums with requests for modifications often filled at no charge. Whenever we've had even the smallest problem, personal support tickets have been answered quickly and thoroughly.

Maybe you don't realize you can purchase your own domain name and use that for a ZetaBoard forum. Very easy to do and it makes your forum look really professional.

10. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+509
    Is invision free Zeta Boards now?

:)

gogo

11. XuanZhongda

XuanZhongda Aspirant

+0
    You can still have an InvisionFree board, but Zathyus released Zetaboards as a newer board software.

12. gogoblender

+509
    There are some massive boards in invisionfree/zeta... have u guys seen rpgdirectory?

http://rpg-directory.com/

The owner showed up on Taz here about a month ago, they are looking at options now to pay for url, move dbase buy software and finally hosting.

Makes you think about moving away from free everything huh^^

gogo

13. XuanZhongda

XuanZhongda Aspirant

+0
  14. gogoblender

+509
    Wow...that is super impressive! I LOVE seeing super successful boards like these, that just through massive effort, passion and content pwn.

Jake, are there any other big forums you know like this on invision free of Zeta? Maybe we can make a reference list for Taz community? Presenting options like this to fledgling members trying to build forums is a great way to show free options to peeps that may not have money or perhaps just want to see if running a forum is for them.

gogo

15. Bernie

Bernie Aspirant

+1
    All invisionfree users were offered to switch theyre boards to zetaboards when it was launched. I chose not to as i would have needed to make adjustments my members might not like, but i have to give the owners props for an exellent layout with very little downtime.

16. Coyso

Coyso Aspirant

+0
    Huh! That Outlineforum is STUNNING. I rarely see a theme that good. When I first loaded up the site I was like "what forum software is this?"... then I scrolled to bottom and noticed it was ZETABOARDS.

I actually didn't go to outlineforum through this thread, I found the url from an article here, and it didn't mention it was zetaboards. I found this thread by doing a search for outlineforum here.

But brilliant looking site. Absolutely brilliant.

17. ShinLi

ShinLi Participant

+8
    There are a lot good quality resources for both IF and ZB out there, skins, graphics, codes, mods etc. Personally my big board is still on IF, although now the downsides are starting to outweigh the upsides.

I've used Zetaboards once or twice as an admin a year or two back, and it is a powerful piece of free software. However I never opted to change my IF board to ZB because there's a big difference between the two pieces of software.

18. DreadfulGlory

DreadfulGlory Aspirant

+1
    I've been with Zetaboards for years and am just now switching over to IPB.

Here is the issues with Zetaboards. They host the software for you and will not give you the database if you want to switch. Since they first came out with Zetaboards, they have been saying they will start offering purchaseable databases. Its been what, 7 years and nothing. However, there is a crawler script out there where you can convert to phpbb or SMF. So you can in fact switch to another forum.

Zetaboards is probably the most customizable of all the free softwares IMO. They don't limit anything except you access to the database and the basics of the server. I have seen themes that are some of the best on the internet, made only on ZB.

The reason I am switching is because they are not keeping up with competitors. ZB use to be in first place for free softwares. They have quickly fallen behind all the rest. They put AJAX restrictions on the servers because certain codes where bogging everything down. So some of the nicest codes no longer work. You can't even send out a mass PM anymore without all sorts of troubles.

Their 3rd party codes are nice, but are just codes that should already be included. Rep systems, multi quote, users online today, ect. Further more, I find that these codes are riddled with bugs, and aren't nearly as flexible as most forums need them to be. And virtually none of the coders both to update their codes or build on them.

ZB just came out with an update that they are raving about. "UPGRADE." It's not an upgrade. It's an update. They fixed like 90 bugs within the software that were so noticeable. Not little minor ones. I mean huge bugs. It took them over a year to fix all these. The features they did add aren't going to be used by the majority. Very few people will use them. Maybe someone will find a good use for them but not anytime soon. The only real thing they added was the multiquote feature which sucks. It's an ugly check box sticks out like a sore thumb. Most people don't even know what it is for. They say they didn't want to make it a button because all themes that have been made for ZB will have to be updated. IPB and VB requires updates for themes all the time. It's a fact of life. It makes things better. Everyone says you can go and get a 3rd party code from ZNR to make the checkbox a button. Guess what? There was already a multiquote code out there. If I have to go to ZNR to get a code for the multiquote, I'm not going to use Zetaboard's ugly crappy feature.

The same themes are made by the same people with the same design. Cody is the only guy that is actually progressing his themes into something better. And he is moving VERY SLOW at it. The codes are all made by the same 6 people; Reid, Pro, Quozzo, Slayer, Viral, and Joe. Viral and Slayer are MIA since like 2009. Pro and Quozza are making the basic ones and are usually riddled with bugs and require more maintenance then they are worth. And Reid and Joe do a good job but don't output codes often enough to build the ZB reputation up by themselves.

Zetaboards premium is complete crap. I have had it for two years now and I don't really know why. Extremely overpriced with no content. Two features are nice to have. The ability to read members PMs and to add more characters into your board wrapper. Well personally, I don't read member's PMs unless I absolutely have to. I don't think it is right. And the board wrapper, just host the codes externally and you use one line of coding. So not even worth it. For all that money, they should at least have an automatic refresh on the shoutbox.

Their ad removal is the worst I have ever seen. You pay per page reload? Most codes that are made for ZB eat up ad credits like nobody's business. You would have to be flipping crazy to buy that ad removal for that price. At the very least, do it for a set time. Like buy it per week.

ZB had so much potential. But with their egotistic community, poorly written modifications, repetitive theme style, so many restrictions now with codes, horrible built in features, and their obsession with over stuffing every single forum onto servers 1 and 4, Zetaboards sucks now. If they get their act together, I will gladly return, but until then, they are one of the worst softwares out there.

19. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,806
    ZetaBoards has only been around a little less than 5 years.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.