Zetaboards is going

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by IntoxNitram, May 8, 2018.

1. vbgamer45

vbgamer45 Adherent

+81
    Yes, I do some work with MyBB run createmybb and mybbhacks, elkarte, phpBB as well.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  2. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    RoseCruz, you raise some interesting points in your response to me above.

First of all, yes, to be truthful, there is indeed a factor of disappointment and frustration involved here, and I would have to imagine that I am not the only one from Zetaboards who feels that way.

But why?

Why the frustration and disappointment?

In my case, there are two main reasons, with the first being how the "migration" process totally screwed up all of my hard work, by changing all of my formatting to the point of making my work look like the work product of an idiot, so in my case, that comes across as a personal insult.

Such it is - as the more experienced in here say, suck it up and move on, which is what I am doing, leaving Tapatalk and the cheap sell-out Brandon Kopetzky further and further in my wake.

Interestingly, in my SPAM this morning there was a message from the piece-of-crap Tapatalk site, with the title Top Discussions from Your Feed, and the first item on the list was entitled "Bold text not appearing in posts, which read as follows:

Tapatalk Support Group - james73_2007 It doesn't work on my forum or on this forum. The bold text shows up in the WYSIWYG editor but not in the actual post (or preview). Honestly, code testing on live websites simply isn't a good idea, folks.

end quotes

True to form, to illustrate how crappy that platform actually is, when I clicked on "Read More," nothing happened.

And that is my second disappointment - just how crappy that site actually is - a huge step down from Zetaboards to be sure, to the point of where it was ridiculous for me to even try to post there.

That was my incentive to leave.

You state that back in around 2004/2005, you had a forum which had around 1000 active members and 340000 posts on a free forum host, and back then, phpBB2 was very popular and free forum hosting was really a business.

In that same time period, I was a member of a site called CommonGroundCommonSense, where little of either was to be found and that was phpBB based, although I did not know that terminology back then, having no background in this field.

I was paying a monthly fee to post on that forum, so it was not "free."

You say you could see many free forum hosting services around, most of them featuring phpBB2, which is how I came to InvisionFree when I left CGCS, which had degenerated into nonsense and endless flame wars.

You say your free forum host was sold to a greater company and that was your first disappointment and that is when you gave up on free forum hosting, but let me ask you this - was it really "free?"

Or did you have to allow advertising on your site?

And did you have to sign for your board and agree to terms?

Which brings us to your statement, "I do not know the terms of service of ZetaBoards nor the details of it in a law perspective."

As to the "terms of service, as I have posted elsewhere in here, when I got my board from Invision in 2010, this is the "contract" I signed with them:

end quotes

As to the terms of service, they were as follows:

I think we can all agree in here that that is all just a bunch of mumbo-jumbo, gibberish and garbage, because it means nothing and is unenforceable.

A life's lesson learned.

And you stated you used the word "customer" as is since they are providing a service, although it is free, but in truth, RosenCruz, in the case of Zetaboards, it was not "free."

I had to host their advertising on my site, which I objected to, so instead, I was paying them to keep the advertising off my site, and I still have those mail order receipts, for what they are worth, which is momentos.

You say on world wide web, if something is for free, probably you are the "product" itself, and that is very much the truth.

As I proved with my new site, there really is not all that much involved in setting up a new site, pretty much anybody today could do it, with the phpBB platforms available, which are cook book simple.

But a site alone and fifty cents buys coffee.

It is the content that matters, and that is where people like you and I come on the scene.

Without people like myself, Zetaboards was nothing, literally.

People were not coming there because of Brandon Kopetzky.

If anyone came to Zetaboards to visit my site, it was because I worked hard to make it worth their while.

So do not be sorry to put it that way, because it is the truth itself that people should know.

As to my new phpBB installation, it is up and runn ing and it serves my simple purposes.

And thank you for your feedback, it was very much appreciated![/URL]

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  3. ReallyOldSchool

ReallyOldSchool Neophyte

+1
    I will not comment or judge here about the quality of the services provided by Tapatalk in the field of forum hosting, I leave that to their end-users.

Many forum owners who have migrated to Tapatalk have come fairly uninformed about certain things. Among the first is the one that caused the greatest dissatisfaction - the ways and possibilities for visual customization of the new forums, because people did not like their default white forum theme.

From the very beginning of the new Tapatalk message boards, the main problem was the lack of any documentation regarding the custom CSS.

In response to such a situation, some users offered free and independent solutions to the problem. I'm one of them. My contribution was/is the development of a free WYSIWYG editor in the form of a desktop application that generates CSS codes for these new forums. It exists since mid-2017 and is still available to everyone free of any charges.

They allowed me to promote this application on their support forum for over a year, but they recently decided to hide from people that it exist, although it's not a commercial project.

So I think that it is not fair for them to try to put a monopoly on the CSS codes used on their forums, which is more than infantile for someone who pretends to become a serious Internet forum company.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Since Tapatalk took over Zetaboards, the platform has become infantile.

And Tapatalk can pretend all they wish, but they are not by any stretch of the imagination a serious online forum company.

It is a slip-shod. juvenile lash-up, at best, but that is something it is best not to speak about on Tapatalk, for fear of becoming in violation of this Tapatalk Rule, to wit:

Do not complain about our or a moderator’s decision regarding your post in a post.

end quote

As to the services you are providing, they were not needed on Zetabords, and the damage done to all my files by Tapatalk during the "Great Migration" has to do with them totally ******* the formatting, which isn't something you can fix.

5. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    I have been actively involved as a "user" of "hosted forums" since 2004, and let me say unequivocally that of all the boards I have been on, hands down, Tapatalk's is the biggest piece of crap, ever.

Whatever the trade calls the screen where you do your actual typing of a post, or placing of a link, that is nothing more than a word processor, to me, and the word processor Tapatalk uses has to be some piece of garbage from back in the early days of word processor development that never saw any commercial success because it was so lousy.

So Tapatalk was probably able to pick up the rights to it for a song, and thus that piece of garbage has become the centerpiece of the Tapatalk site, and defines its very cheapness and fly-by-night nature.

On this board, as I am typing, the previous words getting typed are scrolling upwards, so if I wanted to use the command bar above, it is always right there in sight.

On Tapatalk, it is the command bar itself that scrolls upwards, so after just a couple of lines, the command bar has gone out of sight, which means that if you want to use the command bar, you have to take the time to scroll back up, which means you then have to scroll back down to resume typing, which is a waste of my valuable time.

On no other board, and this is going back to 2004, have I seen something so primitive and cumbersome, and there is no excuse for it, because Zetaboards did not function in such a primitive manner.

Thus, Tapatalk is a huge step backwards, not forwards.

Where that scrolling issue becomes a real problem had to do with font size.

For some reason, all of a sudden, the word processor function on Tapatalk would start changing font sizes in the middle of my typing something.

Then I would have to go to the top, and highlight the entire writing, which took me to the bottom of the page, and then I would have to scroll back up to hit the font size on the command bar.

More wasted time.

Time that was not wasted using Zetaboards, because Zetaboards was not a piece of crap like Tapatalk.

6. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Now when I try to view my files at the piece of crap Tapatalk site, all I get is a page with nothing on it except the words "Choose Display Mode" and a box that says "Original," and in true piece of crap Tapatalk fashion, when you click on the box that says "original," nothing happens, which is an indication of just how stupid that site has become since Brendan Kopetzky sold us out to Winter Wong of the piece of crap Tapatalk, and when you try to scroll down to see if there are other options, again, in true piece of crap Tapatalk fashion, nothing happens.

So now, I cannot get to any of my files!

And that piece of garbage is supposed to be a state of the art upgrade!

HAH!

7. ReallyOldSchool

ReallyOldSchool Neophyte

+1

This pop-up window also has a button named "Done ". You should press on it to make that window disappear. If you don't see that button, press and hold the CTRL keyboard button and simultaneously press the minus sign button on the keyboard until the mentioned button appears.

8. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Thank you very much for conveying that information and I hope you have a very peaceful Thanksgiving day.

You are a real resource here, for which I am very thankful.

And no, I have not seen that "done" button.

It must be further down the page, which I could not get to scroll.

I'll try your method, because I want access to what is my intellectual property in the form of my files that Brendan Kopetzky breached his trust and let Tapatalk steal, mangling them in the process.

9. ReallyOldSchool

ReallyOldSchool Neophyte

+1
    You can also click on the empty space outside the pop-up window, this will close it too.

10. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    I tried that, and it didn't work, but then I tried your first suggestion and that did the trick, so again, thank you for helping us out here.

And I am not the only person confronted with that problem.

In the latest communication from the Tapatalk Support Group, a poster named kevair40f posted "I am logged into one of my groups via the Tapatalk App, when I select Forums, Discussions, and Messages they all come up as blank grey pages (No Forums) (No Topic) (No Messages) respectively."

That is the same issue I had.

Another poster named Jerome.mps posted, "Hi I cannot seem to access certain threads on a group i am subscribed to."

"I get the error message 'cannot connect please try again later get_ config'"

"How do i fix this problem?"

end quotes

My suggestion would be to quit Tapatalk.

11. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,059
    Livyjr Have you tried to use [*QUOTE]end quotes[*/QUOTE]without the asterisks?
    It would look like this:

12. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    I'm unfamiliar with that usage, doubt.

I've never used the asterisks before. so don't know that method.

Normally, I just use if I was quoting someone in this forum and that works just fine.

Above here, being older, I dropped into the more archaic method of simply writing end quotes because I was quoting someone from Tapatalk, and didn't want to cause any confusion.

What does the addition of the asterisks do?

13. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Administrator

+2,279
    ^^^ Remove the asterisks, he was simply putting them in his post so it wouldn't turn it into a quote. :)

14. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Thanks, mysiteguy.

Then we are on the same page.

15. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,059
    Instead of writing "beginning quotes" and on the end "end quotes" try to type:
    Code:
    [QUOTE]Whatever you want to quote[/QUOTE]
    No matter upper or lower case.

It would look like this:

16. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    I learned to communicate in writing a long time before there was such a thing as the internet and HTML, doubt.

It was standard practice to let the other readers know that a quote had ended by writing in the words "end quotes."

Old habits die hard, so I still communicate that way today.

17. zoldos

zoldos Lord Malleus

+92
    I've participated on several forums running Zetaboards and honestly, the platform is junk. It's missing several key features, is generally slow and cumbersome, and one Zetaboards forum I was on appeared to be infected with malware. No thanks.

18. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Not to worry anymore, zoldos, because Zetaboards is now gone, and if you thought that Zetaboards was junk, one can only wonder at how you view its replacement, Tapatalk, which is plain garbage.

And depending on what one does with a site, say, aggregating news versus playing games, any platform out there could be found to be missing what the user would consider "several key features," and could also be found to be generally slow and cumbersome.

Personally, I never experienced Zetaboards to be slow or cumbersome, but that was a function of what I was using Zetaboards for.

If it had been slow and cumbersome, which Tapatalk is the epitome of today so far as I know, then I would have kept searching for something better.

But that is all moot now.

As an aside, we keep hearing politicians blathering about foreign agents getting access to Facebook user data.

Here we have a case of Brandon Kopetzky selling the personal information of millions of Zetaboards to a Chinese company, Tapatalk.

So why isn't Brandon sitting in the House of Representatives "hot seat" explaining what that was all about?

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  19. zoldos

zoldos Lord Malleus

+92
    And just to be clear, this was only my personal experience having used just about every free and paid forum script including Zetaboards and Proboards. :)

20. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    So what do you think of Tapatalk, then?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.