Zetaboards is going

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by IntoxNitram, May 8, 2018.

1. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Thank you so very much for the feedback, salem.

And yes, the main content would be in the forums.

I'll tell you that I have a lot of respect for you people who can make heads or tails out of any of this jargon associated with what makes a forum like this appear and be easy to use by people like me who were born in an age where we didn't yet have televisions and telephones in our houses.

I find no underlying logic that I can even get a grasp on.

So all of this feedback is appreciated, even if it is largely Greek to me right now.

I am still trying to figure out how to get to the actual WordPress control panel.

When I open the admin. section, I don't get the control panel or dashboard.

Dashboard
    Dismiss
    A new, modern publishing experience is coming soon.
    Take your words, media, and layout in new directions with Gutenberg, the WordPress editor we're currently building.

as.w.org_images_core_gutenberg_screenshot.png_72c8847acc161f1d6d2871d238a8e664.png
    Test the new editor today.
    You can take Gutenberg for a spin (and share your feedback, if you’d like) before we officially release it, by installing it as a plugin. You can help by testing, filing bugs, or contributing on the GitHub repository.

Install Gutenberg

Learn more about Gutenberg

Not quite ready?
    The new editor will be enabled by default in the next major release of WordPress. If you’re not sure how compatible your current themes and plugins are, we’ve got you covered. Install the Classic Editor plugin to keep using the current editor until you’re ready to make the switch.

Install the Classic Editor

Dismiss
    Welcome to WordPress!
    We’ve assembled some links to get you started:

Get Started
    Customize Your Site Customize Your Site
    or, change your theme completely

end quotes

So I'm going round and round in circles, always ending up right back where I began.

Maybe when my 3 year old grandaughter gets a little older, she can walk me though this.

2. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Right now, I'm hyperventilating!

3. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    And you are some truly great people in here!

Tell me, doubt, off the top of your head, when the Zetaboards lay-out was so successful, having been in development since 2010, why would they scrap that successful product that so many people were comfortable with and replace it with the piece of crap lay-out Tapatalk offers?

Why is there this tendency to take things once simple to understand and use, and to then make them cumbersome, like the convoluted path one must take to get to the Tapatalk control panel, which is not called a control panel for some idiotic reason, but instead "administer user," when Zetaboards had a button on the face page to click on that said in a straight-forward way, "admin CP?"

It seems every time we are told something in the cyber realm is going to be "improved," and here Yahoo Mail and Windows come right to mind, in addition to Tapatalk, the improvements are really a downgrade in that the sites become more clunky and cumbersome to use.

4. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Are you saying, salem, that that would be a separate download independent of the WordPress?

5. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    When you talk about the hosting control panel, where is that located?

6. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,014
    Yes.
    Only your host can give you access to it.
    Provided it's cPanel you can install phpBB and Wordpress from there by clicking on a few buttons.

7. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Thank you so much again, doubt.

What a confusing mess this is, and I say that as a graduate engineer licensed to practice professionally who has beat the New York State Attorney General and other top-flite-in-their-own-minds lawyers several times in court battles.

A maddening mess, I must say, and there I am referring to WordPress right now.

I want a simple set of instructions.

Instead, I get page after page after page after page of all these superlatives about EVERYTHING under the sun that WordPress can do for you, when I don't want to do everything under the sun.

I wan t to know how to get to the control panel.

I don't want pages of endless verbiage about how I can customize my site when I can't even get to my site, because of all the verbiage about how great the site is.

I started life on a computer with a very simple, very effective word processer.

Then, like what happened to the Datsun 240-Z, this had to be added and that had to be added and the seats had to be made wider for the people with fat bottoms so they could have a sports car, too, and things get tubbier and tubbier, and fatter and fatter and slower and slower, and less comprehensible.

In a word, they get STOOOPID!

But enough about the world that is being imposed on us by TWITTER and FACEBOOK and now Tapatalk, which is imposing STUPID and MINDLESS on what used to be Zetaboards.

Back to the drawing board.

Thanks again, doubt, for taking your time to answer these questions.

8. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+844
  9. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Let me reiterate that WordPress IS installed on the server, and it is titled The Livyjr Files and it can be accessed by anyone through this link: http://thelivyjrfiles.com

So that part of the equation is solved.

I don't need to worry about getting WordPress installed.

And I am finding out through my friend about the phpBB being installed.

I am in a rural area of upstate New York and by friend and the server are in New York City which is miles away, so there is a communication issue there, as I transfer these comments by e-mail to my friend,

So to put a hierarchy in place here while I find out if the phpBB can also be loaded, as there is some type of constraint with the contract between my friend and the server provider as to how many different things can be stored or whatever, my goal right now is to get the WordPress functioning beyond just the first page.

There is an on-line publication in Virginia that I have been following, The Cape Charles Mirror http://www.capecharlesmirror.com/ , which is uses a customized version of WordPress.

That publication is somewhat similar to what I am doing, except I collect news and categorize it by subject, like a library with the Dewey Decimel System.

So certainly, the potential is there in WordPress.

The question now is how to get past all the garbage about customizing the site, so the site can actually be used.

10. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Robin Hood, you certainly live up to your name, helping the poor and the weak as you do.

Yes, I clearly understand that that link takes me to me admin panel, and NOT anything on the server that I don't care about.

If you click on that link, however, you don't get a control panel or dashboard - you get a bunch of verbiage that takes you exactly nowhere, and further and further away from the dashboard.

This is what it says:

Get Started
    Customize Your Site

When I click on that link, then I end up wandering through an endless maze of all these great things you can do with WordPress.

I open the tutorial, which shows a picture of the actual dashboard, but I can't get to the actual dashboard because I all keep getting is that same crap page about customizing my site, which then simply takes me back into the endless maze of all the things I could do to customize my site, if only I could ever actually find t dashboard in all the other dreck and clutter.

Way back in my Fortran days, they would call that a "do-loop," where the computer simply spins round and round and round and goes the same nowhere these ridiculous instructions are taking me at WordPress.

The problem for people like me is that these people who write all those superlatives about all the great things you can do with WordPress assume that everybody is already an expert and thus, they think all this stuff they write is comprehensible.

It is not.

11. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    And let me again apologize for being quite dense here.

I just got out of the hospital after undergoing abdominal surgery, so my mental capacity to assimilate all this is degraded, especially as this is the very last thing I thought I was going to have to confronted with, so that I am literally seething with anger, which does not do any good for healing or moving forward.

12. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Navigation, Robin Hood.

Simple commands like "back to home page."

That is what is sorely missing here at WordPress.

13. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+844
    Ah, so you are successfully logged into the wordpress ACP. The way they have it set up is that you will be presented with a load of widgets in the main body of the page when first logging in, some will be introductory ones trying to guide you on how to do certain things. It seems to be getting busier and busier with each Wordpress upgrade.

This is the Wordress main admin dashboard on the right 80% of the page. You don't have to use it the widgets inside it. If you simply want to make your way through all the various settings yourself and explore them, use the menu on the left instead:

upload_2018-8-28_11-2-19.png

Here's a basic video guide. There may be better ones if you search youtube, just be aware that the look and feel may change with each update, so a video 1, 2 or 3 years old may look a lot different from what you're seeing. If you search YouTube for Wordpress Tutorial, Wordpress Dashboard Tutorial or Wordpress Admin Tutorial you'll find many more videos

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  14. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+844
    To go back to see your home page, a link can be found in the drop down at the top left hand side fo the screen:

upload_2018-8-28_11-10-29.png

15. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Welcome to your site!

This is your homepage, which is what most visitors will see when they come to your site for the first time.

end quotes

WOW!

Who'd a thought it!

That is what I get when I open my site and see on the first page the words "Welcome to your site! This is your homepage, which is what most visitors will see when they come to your site for the first time," and the click on "edit," which just takes me to an empty page that tells me what I already was told on the first page before I clicked on "edit."

Pardon me in my seething anger thinking that that has to be something a moron would provide me with.

16. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+844
    When you click edit on that paragraph it brings you from the front end of your website into the back end admin control panel where you can edit that page.

You can then edit the title and that text yourself to change it. Then preview it to see if you like those changes, then save the changes.

Then when you visit the home page again you'll see your new content.

Like so (I've blurred out the custom content on my site)

upload_2018-8-28_11-25-11.png

It might be worth finding a good video tutorial course on Wordpress to follow a long with.

17. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    What you call busier and busier, Robin Hood, I call stupider and stupider, more and more ridiculous, aggravating and time consuming.

I have found all kinds of tutorials for WordPress, scads of them, in fact, and they all presume or assume that you have actually been able to find the Dashboard you show above.

After hours and days of trying, I still have not managed to get to the dashboard, because I cannot get past that verbiage I get when I sign in about "customizing" my site.

18. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+844
    You may want to try something like this course so you can follow along with the videos. Lynda.com is very good, I use it a lot myself.

You can sign up for free for 30 days (just set a reminder for yourself to cancel it in a few weeks if you don't want to stay subscribed)

You can easily skip and jump and rewind between video chapters too if you want to find out about something specific without watching every chapter.

https://www.lynda.com/WordPress-tutorials/Welcome/372542/437297-4.html

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  19. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Robin Hood, I realize that that is what it should do.

And let me say by way of background that when I first got my own board (which really was not my own board, afterall, I was silly enough to think it was, when it really wasn't) from InvisionFree, I had to go through the whole process of setting it up through the admin control panel, something I had never done before, and it was SIMPLE.

Do this, do this, do this, and le voila, in a very short amount of time, less than an hour, I had a functioning board.

Over time, I was able to go back to the admin cp and change my format which was expanding as I gained experience.

So I am familiar with the concept of what should be happening.

But we are back to the instructions being as clear as mud.

Click on that "edit" button on the first page, and show the page you get, to see if it the same page I get, and then please, show me where there is anything on that page about actually changing your front page.

It is nothing but incomprehensible gibberish to me.

20. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Yes, Robin Hood, that is very true, and necessary.

And that is advice I have followed, so that I am literally wading through a stack of tutorials, NONE of which tell me HOW to get past that page of worthless crap that blocks me from actual access to the Dashboard.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.