Zetaboards is going

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by IntoxNitram, May 8, 2018.

1. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    I have registered the domain name, mysiteguy, and have space on a private server that is supposed to be secure, unlike the Zetaboard server.

So now I need the phpBB software.

Any suggestions?

And thank you in advance.

2. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
  3. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,031
    You can download it here: https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/

4. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  5. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Interesting.

I just visited my site where it has been moved to on Tapatalk, and it has been cheapened up even more in the last hour or so.

It no longer states that The Livyjr Files is an educational and informational place in Cyberspace for one thing.

That has been stripped away by Tapatalk corporate management for unexplained reasons.

And the header on the face page has also been reduced to a mere bar.

Whatever few option that were there, including the ability to upgrade, has been removed.

The ability to use the search engine, a feature I depended on, is now gone.

So the piece of crap I was handed at Tapatalk has been now reduced to being nothing more than a very cheap, highly flawed word processor that would be like taking Microsoft Office for students and stripping it of pretty much everything but the ability to move the cursor.

6. southernlady

southernlady Coder/Designer

+189
    Sounds like it's time for you to move on. Accept that this happened, learn from it, and move forward.

7. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Indeed that is so, southernlady, and with some help from those in here, I am in the process of doing so.

In the meantime, until I get a new board up and running, I have to maintain my files which are captive at Tapatalk.

The main lesson I learned here is that internet web-hosting companies are not to be trusted with our data files.

And again, this discussion has been taking place at the direction of The Sandman, who asked me to share these thoughts with whomever chooses to read them, for whatever they may get from them.

I came here in the first place by "following the angry fish," as it were, who were fleeing from Tapatalk, which tracks were left for me to follow when I googled Tapatalk.

And I am thankful to The Sandman for giving me the permission to use this site for feedback.

8. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    I do however believe that in giving me permission to post on this subject, that The Sandman wanted Tapatalk analyzed to the nth degree, especially its business model.

Hence this continuing discussion.

9. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+953
    Looks fine to me, on you sure you weren't looking at it in a small window or on mobile? In smaller responsive views, often certain elements are hidden.

upload_2018-8-26_10-59-6.png

upload_2018-8-26_10-59-20.png

10. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Thanks for responding, Robin Hood.

Point 1 is that I do not have a mobile, so no, that would not be the cause.

I am viewing the site on an HP desktop.

As to "small screen," I have the site open in another window, and what I am seeing is what you have posted in your lower view - the plain bar.

Since I have already admitted to being quite ignorant here, I must say I can't find anything there on my screen that would allow me to see what you posted in your upper view.

May I ask how you did that, or found that?

11. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+953
    If you gradually reduce the width of your browser window, when it reaches a certain threshold it will change from the top image in my previous post to the bottom image in an attempt to try and make the site more readable and easy to navigate on a small width window. This often means hiding or reordering certain elements. All modern websites do that these days.

If you can’t see all the info, make sure your browser is maximised.

12. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    But I have not touched the width of my browser window, to my knowledge, anyway.

Again, being ignorant here, how would that have happened?

More to the point, how would I know it happened?

Normally, I have several windows open at once on Microsoft Windows, and there is no change in any of them other than The Livyjr Files on Tapatalk.

And thanks for your patient answers!

13. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+953
    That's a bit strange. The threshold from changing fro the normal view to the compact view is a window 700px wide, which is pretty narrow. So if your on desktop, I don't know why you're seeing the compact view, unless your window isn't maximised.

upload_2018-8-26_12-4-51.jpeg

The other possibility is that if you have zoomed in on your browser window to increase the font size. If you do this then it will change to the compact view at a larger window size. You can usually use the ctrl key combined with the + or - keys to adjust the zoom level.

14. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    BINGO, Robin Hood!

Yes, I had zoomed in to increase the font size so I could read it.

I just went there after reading you post, and decreased the font size, and lo and behold, as you said, the screen did change.

Thank you so very much!

While I have you on the line in here, I have a spot on a private server, and I have a Wordpress screen established http://thelivyjrfiles.com , but my research seems to indicate that Wordpress will not suffice to serve my purposes.

The Livyjr Files was exactly that - a series of files going back to 2010 that was inspired by the yearbooks that used to come with our encyclopedia set when I was young.

So you could pick a date in time subsequent to 2010, and find what was happening on that date, as I used to do with those yearbooks, which I still have from the early 1950s.

Or you could search by subject or topic, as well.

So it seems phpBB is the way to go, and it also seems that Wordpress and phpBB can be linked to each other.

My question to you has to do with the next set of steps after downloading the phpBB software you linked me to.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

15. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+953
    Great! Glad you got it sorted :)

I'm slightly confused about how you did things before, it seems the majority of posts on your Tapatalk site are by yourself - was that how you previously posted these files or content?

Or were you sharing actual files, such as PDFs?

If you want to continue as you did before, you could just get someone like mysiteguy to help you to migrate to another forum platform, that you self host on a private server so you have complete control over your data, and continue exactly how you did before.

If you want to completely rehost and categorise all your data by year, date, topic, tags etc. to make it more easily browsable like an encylopedia then Wordpress could be a good way of doing so. But I imagine it would be incredibly time consuming and labour intensive to try and port all your forums posts to well curated wordpress content. It may however be a better choice for posting new content going forward.

You can indeed link most forum software to wordpress these days, so I'm guessing there's probably a phpBB bridge. If your budget concious, then it would be a good free option. If you have some money to spend and want a more modern site though you could migrate to something like XenForo. The latest version also has a couple of good Wordpress bridges.

https://xenforo.com/community/resou...dge-for-bringing-wordpress-into-xenforo.6551/
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xenword-pro-2018.5819/

Or you could keep it simple and forget wordpress, categorising all your files as forum threads in various categories by year or topic, and you could tag these threads. If the forum only format worked for you in the past, you may be fine continuing on in that manner, no matter which forum software you choose.

16. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Yes, indeed, the majority of posts were by myself, and that was based on my prior experience on the failed CommonGroundCommonSense forum, which I was invited to join after being on the John Kerry forum in 2004.

In its latter days, CGCS had roaming gangs going around and trashing as many threads as they could, and the moderators were doing nothing about it.

I have never been a "chatter," so my threads, which as I bill the site, were intended to be either in informational, as in "current events." which I was taught when young we as American citizens had an obligation to keep up with, or educational, as in my ta'i chi section.

Having a bunch of people clomping around in there, as was the case on CGCS, served no purpose for myself, or those who followed my threads.

Initially, I did have people being able to comment, but that began to rapidly degenerate, as people from CGCS who had succeeded in wrecking that site migrated to my new site on Invision, soon to become Zetaboards, to pull the same crap.

So yes, I pretty much closed down the site to extraneous chatter.

One of the purposes of that site was to give me as a disabled veteran a voice as an American citizen without financial means or political clout to "combat" "fake news," which has existed in America since Tommy Jefferson was in the White House.

At CGCS, posters would run around screaming, "did you hear what such-and-such said," without ever really pointing to their sources, and that would result in flaming wars, and other people saying, "no, that isn't what was said, something else was really said," which was infantile, and ridiculous, such is political dialogue in America today.

So I began the Livyjr Files, where each day, I would gather in the news as posted by the various media, and I began to use those actual news stories, which were all attributed, with links, and I would use those stories to refute later claims in other stories, or claims other posters were making.

I had plenty of readers, who use the internet to inform themselves, as opposed to posting selfies.

So that is what I am trying to recreate, and am trying to wade through my confusion here, which is a result of my admitted ignorance about these things.

The John Kerry forum was on an Invision platform (if that is the right word) and that platform was excellent for my purposes.

It had a search engine for each separate topic, which is a feature I would hope to duplicate on my new site.

CGCS then used a similar Invision platform, although without as robust a search engine, which is why I went to Invision when I fled the chaos of CGCS.

Then Invision somehow became Zetaboards, but the platform did not change in terms of functions.

Obviously, what I am looking to replicate is now quite old, given that the same platform existed in 2004.

And pardon me, Robin Hood, for sounding ignorant in here as I try to digest what you are posting above.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  17. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    What you are seeing on Tapatalk, in an admittedly degraded manner due to the loss of my formatting on Zetaboards, is exactly what I have been doing since 2010 on Invision and then Zetaboards.

That is exactly what I wish to continue doing.

I am not going to continue with Tapatalk, because their word processer is a total piece of garbage that is very tedious and frustrating to use, being limited as it is, and the rules at Tapatalk are very restrictive.

Before on Zetaboards, I would post an item in the news, and then re-post it in "Issues Which Affect Our Lives" in whatever categories I thought it appropriate.

On Tapatalk, that is forbidden, by their arbitrary rules.

So again, that is what I am looking to re-create.

Linking from a new site back to Tapatalk to me is not a viable option for many reasons, which I will forego discussing here.

My goal would be to simply continue on as I have been doing on a daily basis with a Zetaboard-like layout, except on a really secure server, if such a thing even exists anymore, given the sell-out of us by Brandon at Zetaboards, and to then somehow try to retrieve all my files from Tapatalk.

18. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    As an aside, while we are talking about roving gangs and Harpy Swarms having the ability on a "moderated" site where you have no contact with the moderators to come in and trash your site, which destroyed CGCS, the same thing is now happening again on Tapatalk, as can be seen from this link to Tapatalk https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tapatalksupport/viewtopic.php?p=210622&utm_medium=email#p210622 :

Ceratodromeus
    how do you keep deleted members from coming to your forum and using your chatbox

Ceratodromeus
    i have this problem right now.

2018/8/24 13:00

drinka

Ceratodromeus - are you referring to the Tapatalk chat? or your forum chat/shoutbox?

2018/8/24 22:33

Ceratodromeus

obviously my forum.

2018/8/24 22:54

drinka

I'm trying to understand - if you delete a user, it no longer exists as such, so how can they be posting in your forum's chat? Have you double checked the members you deleted are actually gone from you members list?

end quotes

On Tapatalk, as has been stated above, we are no longer "site administrators," and what were our forums on Zetaboards are now "community property" on Tapatalk, so previously banned people can now come in and trash our sites, with us being helpless to prevent it, and Tapatalk calls that forward progress.

But in that same sense, forward progress is also an airplane in a flat spin heading towards the ground at a rapid rate.

19. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    With all due respect to mysiteguy, who seems to be very much on the inside of the management side of this equation with his very apparent contempt and disdain for users like myself, I would not trust him as far as I could throw him to not screw me over like the cheap sell-out Brandon did on Zetaboards.

If you go back and read his posts where his contempt for us former site administrators on Zetaboards fairly drips in a torrent off the page with his mocking tones about how easily we were gulled by Brandon at Zetaboards, you will discern why I would not trust him on anything, and I will be damned if I would pay him a dime to get back what I had on Zetaboards.

Clearly, from his posts, mysiteguy had a lot of background inside information on this transition that could have only come from Zetaboards or Tapatalk or both.

His message to me in those posts was "suck it up, fool, we screwed you over big time, because you were so stupid and gullible as to believe that a secure server was really secure."

So no, I am treating mysiteguy in the same way I would a viper in my grandchildren's bedroom.

20. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+953
    After a bit of research it seems that the Invision you're referring to is an old forum platform called InvisionFree. I wanted to clarify this as there's a very popular premium forum software currently called Invision Community.

The word processor you're referring to is the post text editor, and an important consideration if you format your posts a lot.

I don't know how powerful the phpBB editor is, but it would be worth registering on their support forum to test it to make sure it's suitable.
    XenForo has a powerful text editor it utilises called Froala. It's also quite customisable using add on such as this one, to add further features.

Once you're on your own server and have your own private forum install, you will have 100% control over everything on your site. So no restriction or rules imposed that come from being hosted on a 3rd party platform or server.

If you're happy with the old forum format, it sounds like you just need someone to help scrape all your data as best as possible so that it can be imported to a new site of your very own. The only problem with scraping (as opposed to using a dedicated export, which I don't think is available) it is that I imagine may lose even more of your formatting. To what extent, I'm not sure.

Honestly, I think you're being a little too harsh to mrsiteguy. He was only explaining that when you put all of your faith, content and data into the hands of a third party to host and power your site, there's a lot that can go wrong and there's not a huge amount we can do when some of these companies get sold and passed over to new management.

It's a truly awful situation for many forum owners who have ended up in this situation with little recourse and no way to export their data.

He may be your best bet, while there may be other people or companies that can do it, I don't know of anyone else who can offer to completely scrape a Tapatalk site and also successfully pull all member data and then import it into another platform. I'm still not sure how he can scrape the member data without gaining access to the email addresses of the users in order to verify them when they log into the new site, but if he can do it, then good on him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.