Yuku and FreeForums.org migrate to native Tapatalk platform

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by Hogarth, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Hogarth

Hogarth Aspirant

+15
    Has anyone else noticed this happened? I wasn't even aware of the fact Tapatalk had their own platform to even use like this. It seems they're trying to break into new markets or something.
    FreeForums says the reason they switched was a lot of bugs and outdated code pretty much causing the system to all fall apart. I'm not really sure why switching to a whole new platform instead of just upgrading to a more current version of phpBB was the way to go. But hey, if it works for them, why not?

Overall, I don't think it looks that bad besides having a lot of wasted white space. I haven't tried it from a user or administrator standpoint though so I can't speak for any of that.

2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,594
    Yuku sucks... there is a nice Martin guitar area on it and I REALLY hate the interface.

3. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+212
    My first forum ever was with ezBoard. Here's the first post from my first forum:
    http://80sxchange.yuku.com/topic/664/Hi-there

I eventually went on to work with ezBoard as a contractor for awhile. Once investors became a part of the picture, it was over.

4. Hogarth

Hogarth Aspirant

+15
    What's so bad about it? I've never actually used it so I'm kinda curious. Is it just really dated or poorly designed in general?

Seems to be somewhat of a common trend. I feel like almost all forums hosts that were once their own brand are owned by a few large advertising/community website companies today.

5. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,594
    Think a really crappy vB type interface with it's klunkiness.

6. Mouth

Mouth Enthusiast

+108
    It was flagged several months back, http://support.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=146384
    And with TT creating their own communties/groups features a couple of months back, the lighthouse was burning very brightly :)

7. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,031
    It seems like they're creating their own private network and forum platform.

They went headfirst into mobile, got installed on over a hundred thousand forums as mobile portal, and now they're making the move to desktop and getting their hands on as much forum data as they can along the way.

Some people don't seem to be happy:

https://www.change.org/p/tapatalk-g...t-let-us-leave-with-our-property-our-database

https://androidforums.com/threads/tapatalk-is-being-discontinued.1125895/

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tapatalksupport/limited-access-to-old-yuku-board-needed-t37150.html

Interesting, in their TOS it say's at least 70% of your forum content needs to be public, I guess that's so they can monetise it

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  8. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,031
  9. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,181
    Going by the link you posted I'd assume Tapatalk.

10. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,031
  11. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,031
    This is pretty clever, the app automatically detects what device, apps and games are installed on your phone and automatically connect you to the relevant forums. What a great feature for an Android forum app getting installed on Android phones.

12. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+172
    So wait...TT has a native platform, but they still use phpBB for their own forum? Or whatever they converted to (away from XF which broke all their links, no redirects, SSL setup was hosed for days, etc). For as much as those guys seem to try to muscle their way into things...they sure are idiots about some things.

13. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+212
    I'm so glad I left that lunacy when I did. What intelligent forum owner would want some other company so deep in their data?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Hogarth

Hogarth Aspirant

+15
    Ew

This is even worse. Sucks for anyone who had their communities hosted on any of these providers since they're now owned by a company with zero respect for you or your users' privacy. Guess it's not much different from most other free online services though.

15. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,179
    If this is true, that beyond the functions expected of and desired from a mobile forum browsing app. I wonder if its selection criterias for the promoted forums are not highly biased towards or exclusively promote forums hosted on its platform at the detriment of normal selfhosted forums.

16. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,031
    To both of you guys above, I'm pretty sure that feature is only in the new custom forum app that it looks like Android Forums developed themselves, specifically for their website. Nothing to do with tapatalk.

I can't test it as I don't have an android device, but it could be as simple as suggesting relevant forums to subscribe to after installing. For android enthusiasts in an android app on an android phone It's a great idea and makes sense.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.