Your Web Browser

Dyonis

Real Sugar Certified
Here's how my browser history goes - I've started out with Internet Explorer 3.0 back in 1997. It was pretty crappy, even back then. It crashed with javascript and it seemed to have issues rendering pages. Nevermind the fact websites were already having trouble deciding which browser to cater to. Netscape was interesting, but it was at best a side browser to content with Internet Explorer 4.0, which had a nasty channel bar - I liked that channel bar as a quick shortcut of sorts - now we have it in the MetroUI (LOL).

I finally switched to Netscape 6.0 (gecko, bloated, clunky), and it made me cry - but it's eye candy was so much better than Internet Explorer 5.5, which also had issues. Even IE 6 made me weep. Then came Firefox, which was the new kid on the block. I didn't trust this browser. But oh man, once I learned to deal with the streamlined interface, I learned that web surfing can actually be fun without needing to be work. Mind you, I'm a geek, so this kind of stuff is actually a turn off. If I can't work for my website, what's the point? Anyway...

Firefox was my browser of choice for a very long time; there was a point Netscape fell into disuse and Netscape.com was eventually sold or bought by AOL (remember them?) or something. I think there was a big commotion about Firefox taking a bite out of Internet Explorer (at long last), which not even Netscape could so - so leave it to Netscape's offspring to do the job for it.

Firefox started jumping around and getting really, really excited when Chrome came out. Chrome was made by Google, which was otherwise Firefox's friend. Firefox didn't like this new browser, not at all. Chrome actually started to see release on 'Chromebooks'. Chrome started to get speeds just a snitch faster than Firefox. Firefox is suddenly unpopular with the bloat - suddenly Opera, Chrome and dare I say Internet Explorer are better than Firefox. This reminds me of Mac OSX gaining popularity when Vista came out, ditto with Ubuntu. Didn't Mac suck at one time? I guess not any more!

Now we have Dolphin Browser, Skyfire, Bolt, Opera Mobile, Opera Mini and I don't see Internet Explorer on this list, nor do I see Chrome. Hmm. Dolphin loads faster than any browser I've ever seen. The rendering seems to be a bit better too, too bad it's on mobile.

Lately Opera is pissing me off. Can't place my finger on it, might be the fact one instance of Opera disrupts another, or the fact opening multiple offline development pages makes Opera hiccup. Opera also has an odd interface - Firefox has a better interface, and with that snazzy number of 18, Firefox will go down in history as the one piece of (software) that became legal. Not even Windows Media Player has hit 18 yet, and it was the highest of all software versions. Final Fantasy has just now hit 13... and it's been around since before web browsers.

Welcome home Firefox! I've missed you!

Lunda

Neophyte
I always prefer Google Chrome. I like it due to its speed and unique feature. Google Chrome can open all type of site even othere can't. So my vote for Google Chrome.

oldsoldier

Enthusiast
I use FireFox, Chrome and Opera to check compatibility. IE is not an option on Linux so I farm out any IE issues to other staff members to investigate. None of my staff are allowed to moderate using IE. IE is only to be used to check things and on non privileged accounts.

crazygal

Neophyte
According to me Google Chrome is the best browser, when i first downloaded it, my internet browsing was running at a lighting speed, i even checked my speed at ScanMySpeed.com and it was normal 5Mbps , i was using firefox which chocked my browsing capabilities .

1.when you close a tab, you are virtually terminating the process. This seams to have some interesting implications on the security of the browser
2.Google Chrome also implements a new privacy feature. They call it incognito. Basically if you browse while being in incognito mode, nothing ever gets logged.
3.Another interesting feature which I need to mention is that popups are not blocked but they open in a minimized window.
4.It has a very simple design, which allows us to browse faster than any internet browser out there.

Ld762

Participant
Chrome most of the time - one big advantage is most plugin like flash is already built-in.
I shy away from IE since it's more susceptible to attack & sometimes it just won't load rite not to mention developing anything compatible with IE is a pain in the butt.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
I use Opera 12.x (not the new 16.x based on Chrome) for day to day use. On my phone and tablet until recently I used the "Android" browser but have switched to Dolphin. I test compatibility using Browsershots.

stevep1970

Aspirant
80% Firefox at home and chrome just to translate pages in Chinese as based in Hong Kong. Can't run IE on Mac and haven't used it for years.
At work it is mainly chrome for google drive and Firefox for non admin accounts and very rarely safari.

chevp

Neophyte
I have over 6 browsers, i mostly use opera and firefox because of its strong and complex structure

Yomuchan

Aspirant
Firefox 4.5 - lightweight and compatible with both adblock and noscript.

and Chrome when I want to engage in shenanigans.

R44

Asperger's Network? Absolutely.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.63 Safari/537.36

I have used Firefox, Maxthon (On a school laptop, until they patched it, bastards), IE, Opera, etc.

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
Now a days, I love Firefox more than Chrome. But both of them are equally good.

Nogitsune

Unleash The Beast....
Internet Explorer 11

Google is spying/stealing information on those who use it and selling it to advertisers and i am not with that.

I use firefx as well.