Your thread ideas that get your users to talk?

Discussion in 'Members & Staff' started by cpvr, Jul 22, 2009.

1. cpvr

cpvr Tazmanian Master

+151
    I know this topic has been brought up before - but I believe its been a long time and TAZ has a lot of new forum owners now, so let's talk thread ideas.

I'll post mine:
    What are your listening to?
    What's your favorite food?
    What's your favorite game?
    What do you do for fun?
    What do you do online?
    How old are you?
    Etc..

Let's come up with a nice list so that new forum owners can seed their new forums with content that'll spark more activity.

2. EthanJ

EthanJ La Belle Époque

+30
    One of the easiest ways is post something you know most of them are going to disagree with, there's nothing like the possibility of an angry rant to get people posting :p

• Like Like x 2
  3. cpvr

cpvr Tazmanian Master

+151
    Well drama doesn't always work - don't you think so?:lildevil:

4. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,007
    Baby names, I kid you not. :)

5. Abbott

Abbott Enthusiast

+1
    1) What does your screen name mean?
    (This one I've actually tried, I got pages of replies)

2) What's your favorite alcoholic beverage?

This usually works, since most people drink at least sometimes.

3) Post Your System Specs Here.

This can work if the forum is technical or computer related in nature. I made this very thread right here on TAZ.

4) Ask the Next Person A Question Game.

It works by having the OP post a question. The next person who replies answers the question, and then asks a question of their own. The next poster replies to that question, and then posts a question of their own. And so on.

5) Word Games of various sorts.

One word game is an association game. Like, the OP posts a word. Then, the next person who replies posts what word they think of, when they see that word. And so on. Example:

OP: Dogs
    Reply 1: Pets
    Reply 2: Cats
    Reply 3: Scratching
    Reply 4: Vinyl Records

And so on.

Another has to do with the letters in the words. That is, post a word where the first letter is the same as the last letter of the previous word. Example:

OP: Dogs
    Reply 1: Sun
    Reply 2: Nice
    Reply 3: Egotistical
    Reply 4: Lies
    Reply 5: Schema

And so on.

6. heyitsElyse

heyitsElyse Aspirant

+0
    A few that have worked on my forum:

What Really Pisses You Off?
    What's On Your Mind? (Similar to making a facebook status update, but in posts)
    What's Your Irrational Fear/Hate?
    Story Time (When someone begins with the first paragraph to a story, then the next person posts another paragraph)

7. Electro

Electro Aspirant

+0
    What did you have for breakfast?
    - Yes people do answer and it's quite funny sometimes.

What's the latest movie you watched?
    - nice when people actually recommed some and others go watch and give feedback

What's you favorite TV show these days?
    -Compared to what was on a couple of years ago... gets people on memory lane which can be nice

The last post wins
    - the never ending game that goes on and on

What turned you on today?
    - can be dodgy and not for all forums for sure lol

8. Impulse

Impulse Aspirant

+0
    How's the weather where you're at?
    - always gets a lot of replies and keeps people coming back just to make small updates

9. tracymw

tracymw Habitué

+15
    Stop in and say hello

Word Association

Current event debates always do well

Last text message

What made you smile

Last thing that made you LOL

10. MrT

MrT Neophyte

+1
    Yep I certainly agree there.
    A good bun fight gets the post rate shooting up, but does put off new posters, and you have to learn how to stop it before it goes to far and people storm out for good.

Good ones for getting heat going is anything on religion, politics or homosexuality. Any two out of three are a sure winner. Homosexuality and the bible can get boisterous especially on an American site.
    Are all christians going to hell because they worship Jesus instead of God, or why are Christians called Christians and not Jewish like he was.

Ask about opening a virtual villages/pubs etc or a gay section, is bound to get people going as people tend to be either on one side or another.

Asking how they see the site going is another, or debating a name change, such as from debate to serious discussion, that can go on for months.

All strategies where you are using conflict is high risk to boost posting and generate passion and interest is high risk, and you will see the bad side of people, but it sure does boost the posting stats.:lildevil:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Computer_Head

Computer_Head Poor Helpdesk Bloke

+3
    Usually we get activity with the three word game, random chit chat, and word association game.

12. MrT

MrT Neophyte

+1
    What really annoys you is a good one for a rant and people will tend to agree, disagree and add to the thread.

13. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman The Motormouth

+1,248
    The best! :p

14. Computer_Head

Computer_Head Poor Helpdesk Bloke

+3
    We also have a Gas Price thread at our site where we give updates on the price of gas in our areas.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kms1167

kms1167 Aspirant

+0
    this is some really good stuff. my off-topic forum needs help, lol.

16. zildjian

zildjian Aspirant

+0
    I disagree with this very much. Not really the 'conflict' to boost posts, but bringing up realigon or sexuality. These are serious things in people's lives, they dont need to be brought up on a forum which they go on for fun. You will alienate people doing that, and just loose more posters, and bring out the worst in what would first appear to be normal posters.

17. Estima

Estima Neophyte

+1
    Another good one is "What gets your goat?" - Like Americans who expect everyone else to understand that when they say "gas" they aren't talking about the stuff that comes to the house in a pipe.:Peek:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Estima

Estima Neophyte

+1
    That simply encourages people to whinge about the site and that's the last thing you want.

19. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,007
    I made this thread on a forum I'm a member on, it's titled "Today's Music," and it's been really popular so far. I started the thread off with explaining how today's music is so much different to what was broadcast only 9 years ago, less 20 years ago. Surprisingly, the younger members of the forum who are at least 14/15 even agreed that today's music sucks.

A lot of them are into bands from the 60s-late 90s. So there's another thread idea you could try out. It's a fun idea and you get to learn about new artists.

20. NYCGuy76

NYCGuy76 Fanatic

+5
    Those are some good tips. A good one which worked on my forum is famous people that annoy you. Try that.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted