Your first forum software development

Discussion in 'Forum Software Development' started by Shawn G, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Shawn G

Shawn G Tazmanian Addict

+232
    For you software developers out there... What was your first forum software project or have you only developed one?

2. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+604
    The first forum software project I did was a mod for SMF... and then I wrote many more mods. Most of them are still out there somewhere.

3. Shawn G

Shawn G Tazmanian Addict

+232
    So was SMF your first? as in first forum ever using.

lol sounds like sex talk...

4. Pete

+604
    Nope, before that I used PunBB but not for very long and I didn't write any mods for it.

5. Shawn G

Shawn G Tazmanian Addict

+232
    How is PunBB? No Pun intended? :p

6. Pete

+604
    It was 2006, it did the job but I remember we left because I didn't want to rely on addons for something as fundamental as polls.

7. Shawn G

Shawn G Tazmanian Addict

+232
    Looks like the project is dying... no updates since 2012 and they just turned 10 not too long ago too.

8. Pete

+604
    I seem to recall that there was a schism in their team and it got forked to make FluxBB.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  9. jessewillem_aaf

jessewillem_aaf Neophyte

+1
  10. Shawn G

Shawn G Tazmanian Addict

+232
    Not too bad looking, Jesse!

PuBoard huh? Like poo? :p

11. jessewillem_aaf

jessewillem_aaf Neophyte

+1
    Not too bad looking, Jesse!

PuBoard huh? Like poo? :p

Thanks for your reply ;)

And no, Pu is the symbol for Plutonium :) But I do know that it can cause confusion when somebody doesn't know that ;)

12. emanuele

emanuele Bugs Developer

+200
    I wrote some custom code for phpBB 2 when I first installed it.
    Used it for about 3 years, then moved to SMF 1.1 (just before January 2010 LOL) and still using it. I ported my code from phpBB to SMF, but then I've been so lazy that I've never upgraded to 2.0 because I didn't want to rewrite my own code... :ph34r: (As partial justification I have to say that the code should be **so** bad that look at it may burn my eyes, so in order to preserve my sight I'm not touching it B) )

13. Shawn G

Shawn G Tazmanian Addict

+232
    I remember the PhpBB days, in fact, that is what made me really learn more advanced coding. Of course I am no expert now...but to install a modification back in the days of PhpBB1 and PhpBB2, it took a few hours :p I'm not sure how v3 is...

14. emanuele

emanuele Bugs Developer

+200
    No idea either.
    When phpBB 3 was released I had to decide: jump to 3 or go with SMF? I choose the second option.

15. Shawn G

Shawn G Tazmanian Addict

+232
    I'd use SMF over PhpBB any day :p

16. emanuele

emanuele Bugs Developer

+200
    TBH I don't remember my first impression with SMF, I just remember the other admin suggesting it, I tried it on my localhost and then I started thinking "mmm... they are working on 2.0, if they can release it soon it would be just one step instead of two!" (that was early 2009), then one day I did a test conversion of the live forum on another directory to show it to everybody and... we just decided to rename the directory and start using it! lol

At the time we were facing a terrible (for the time, now it would look just normal) amount of spammers, and SMF gave us several months of calm.

17. Shawn G

Shawn G Tazmanian Addict

+232
    I originally found SMF from a guy known as TwistedWeather back in my weather forum days. I used it in the 1.0 days for a while but I had a lot of trouble with adding mods. I then found MyBB and used it for a long time, then drama happened... then I went paid software and finally back to SMF. AAF was SMF first, I went to IPB over some issues (which you may or may not be aware of) but I still see SMF as the best free software online, by far. :)

18. emanuele

emanuele Bugs Developer

+200
    Darn Opera, I tabbed to cancel instead of preview and lost the version I was going to post... :'(

It seems I lost that reply... lol

You mean drama happened at MyBB?
    SMF is not the only place drama happens? :blink: Really?

Yup, I remember you were using SMF for AAF and I remember a heated discussion (not the reason of it, not that it matters ;)) and your decision to go IPB.

Okay, you may think what I'm saying is just because I'm developing another one, but code-wise, SMF is far from being perfect.
    I'm not saying SMF is a bad software, but it suffers terribly of two things:
    1) the number of different developers that wrote its code,
    2) the proud of wanting to be compatible with everything.
    The first means that SMF is a patchwork of different styles and different ideas (and I gave my good contribution to the patchwork, I'm not going to hide behind a curtain, even if most of my contribs have been removed in the last 6 months). On top of that there is the terrible practice of not using functions, so the code is not re-used except in very few specific cases (there are tons of queries used over and over and over again, so that if you have to change something you have to start searching around and change it in many places with the risk of missing some).
    The second means that SMF has to rely on a number of hacks both code-wise and theme-wise to be "kept together" (that may sound an exaggeration, it may even be, all depends on the point of view).

Well, now I'll stop, I rewrote it... five time now (with the help of Opera LOL) trying not to make it look like an attack, but I suppose it will sound like that anyway, so let's just post it. :p

/me now uses the mouse and not the tab.

No, seriously, that's not Opera's fault! That's IPB fault!
    The preview post button doesn't have the tabindex!
    add reply is 50, and cancel is 52, so preview post should be 51, but it doesn't have the attribute and so is skipped...bad accessibility. *sagenods*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.