You start a web hosting service

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Let's say you have the income to start a basic web hosting service (but your not extremely wealthy either)...

How much would you charge for your hosting plans? Why type of hosting services would you provide?

ARG_aaf

Devotee
If you desire time to do other things online or with life in general, and I cant state this strongly enough, DO NOT start a web hosting service!!!!
It really doesn't take a lot of money to get started but one will soon find that it does take a lot of time to constantly manage, update and offer customer support.

royalduke

Aspirant
If you desire time to do other things online or with life in general, and I cant state this strongly enough, DO NOT start a web hosting service!!!!
It really doesn't take a lot of money to get started but one will soon find that it does take a lot of time to constantly manage, update and offer customer support.

I agree with this.

Web Hosting service is really easy to setup by simply buying a reseller account but in the long run, you won't make that much money. The only way to make a decent profit is to be backed by investors and compete with brand names such as HostGator, LiquidWeb, GoDaddy, etc.

One man operated web hosting services don't last very long and aren't that successful either.

ARG_aaf

Devotee
I actually offer (unadvertised) hosting space on my server (annually, not monthly) complete with full cPanel and in fact I currently have seven customers. However, they are informed before hand that they are responsible for any and all of their hosting operations including their own backups and restores.
In short, pay me for a year of hosting and I will set you up within an hour. Keep in mind that these customers are normally database and web savvy. They normally don't need assistance but if they do I will usually offer advice even though they know I am not obligated to do so.

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict

If you are serious about it and have people to help you with it, it should be a lot better than you describe it :p

Dilip

Devotee
It would be good to have our own host. But doesn't it give legal issues like offending content, malware etc ?

ARG_aaf

Devotee
It would be good to have our own host. But doesn't it give legal issues like offending content, malware etc ?

That is normally up to the host you are hosing your servers from. Just have a good TOS and check your customers sites once in a while and it should not be an issue.

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Got a full plate these days. ;)

Well shucks lol :p

But no, I do hope to own my own business one day but it won't be hosting... I'd rather have a shot in the defense contractor industry ;)

jessewillem_aaf

Neophyte
I wouldn't start a web host here in the Netherlands either. There's no way I could compete web hosts charging 50 euro cents (0,67 usd) per month for 1500 MB space and 20 GB transfer. And most people have enough with that for running their sites, even if the servers are oversold to death.

So I wouldn't even dare to do it. It's just financial and time killing unless you're lucky and get popular enough with it.

bauss

Adherent
I'd make my plans cheaper then the competition, it's the only way to gain market share. You can raise your prices when you have customers, and list something like "Limited Time Only" next to the prices of the hosting plans.

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Indeed but would you grandfather your current customers in to keep their original rates or would you raise them for them as well?