you need to reply to the message on the site this was just a notification email

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by fixer, Aug 11, 2017.

1. fixer

fixer I'm Your Huckleberry

+129
    again and again they just do not get it, ive been getting replies to my email from my forums for 10 years from people replying to the private message notification email, auto responders are not pro-active

cant any of these forum softwares just allow reply by email and solve this problem

reminds me of the rock bottom episode of spongebob squarepants where he had to speak by going pfffft in between words
    for them to understand what hes saying

doubt anyone would catch this refrence?

2. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,712
    No, they are not going to.
    Should you request at XF, IPS, VB for such function you will hit a concrete wall.
    VB3 used to have a hack to do that but the developer gave up on it.

3. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+744
    Aaaahahahah.

Good ****. That's an amazing episode and I cracked up reading your post!

4. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+8,202
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  5. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+3,026
    I've never been a fan of the replay by email process. It's works OK for blogs and the like, but for a forum, you (as the admin) really lose out in reality from your users not actually coming to the site as often and relying on the email reply ability.
    There is less incentive for the user(s) to visit as regularly to the forum and therefore they may miss out on newer content that they may participate in.

As for the users responding... simply set up an auto-responder in your email config to reply back to them letting them know in "polite" way that if they want to respond, to visit the site or turn off their email notifications until they become more intelligent than a bowl of jello.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  6. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+535
    You could edit the email template so that the first words they read are something along the lines of:

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL - THE INTENDED RECIPIENT WILL NOT RECEIVE IT!
    VISIT THE SITE FROM WHICH THIS EMAIL ORIGINATED TO REPLY TO THE SENDER!

At some point in time the message may sink in.

It is a PITA, but you often need to spoon feed users.

;)

7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,937
    IMO reply by email is not a good idea. We had a support ticket system with email piping. A member would post a ticket and receive a reply from staff. For example asking the member for specific information about their request or by posting an extensive informational reply.
    For some reason the member misses the notification email and posts another request for help. The staff member replies again and this is again missed by the member. A new angry reply is added by the member which again totally ignores the staff posts. This goes on some more until the member stops replying or becomes angry.

Email is broken for many people.

8. fixer

+129
    the staff has to keep telling the members the samn damn answers over and over they asked me to do something so i added icons on the top of the site so the staff can just say

CLICK ON THE MAP AT THE TOP!

IMG_4715.PNG

9. fixer

+129
    going back to hieroglyphics for communication

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted