Yahoo Groups Is Shutting Down

Discussion in 'Other' started by sbjsbj, Oct 17, 2019.

1. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Fan

+320
    https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html

I am not sure how many of you used yahoo groups, which predates vB.

I am a member of one and it was founded and has messages from the year 2000.

Right now I am looking for ways to backup the whole group's posts and attachments, so I can save all the unique information which cannot be found anywhere else.

Damn, if only they would close it some months later. I was preparing to introduce my site to all people and was preparing some important stuff for those people (mainly professionals), now I have to rush my announcement without having sth. to show.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+757
    I've been soliciting Yahoo groups for the past 24 hours to move their groups over to clubs on my Invision Community community.

I've already talked to six groups and launched three new clubs.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  3. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Fan

+320
    Does IPS have a migration script for them or is that custom made by you?

Will you be able to get everything, so they can log-in with their yahoo accounts in your community?
    Attachments, messages, files etc?

4. overcast

overcast Adherent

+69
    At this rate I want to ask when is yahoo shutting down?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Fan

+320
    That would suck in my case. I am using yahoo mail over a decade now and I am very happy with it.

Specially it allows me to set junkmails in my mail account and I use those junkmails to register on the web. My real name I only use in official cases such as government or real persons I know. For everything else I set up a junk mail, even for forums I am registered at, and use that.

In case I will be flooded with spam mails (which never happened, their spam filter is great), I can just delete the junk mail and nothing can reach me.
    Or to protect my identity it is a great tool. They can only get my junkmail in their databases.

I can't say anything negative about their mail service. Haven't used any other of their services.

6. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+252
    This is the side of it that saddens me, corporations changing and closing services (usually for commercial reasons) that contain information and data going back decades that means so much to their respective communities. Another good reason IMHO for everyone to host independently.

We'll be having this exact same discussion about the closing down of Facebook / Facebook groups in about 40 years time. Mark my words ;)

7. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,180
    The biggest news here is Yahoo still existing :eek:
    Never really used Yahoo's groups but they had many nice services. Too bad they stretched themselves too thin to remain financially viable.

8. Somniloquent

Somniloquent Enthusiast

+118
    My forum started out originally as a yahoo group, and that was over 15 years ago. It's hard to believe the groups have stuck around so long.

Yahoo is one of the most popular sites in Japan, so it'll still be here for a long time even if people in western countries never use it. Yahoo Auctions are used there instead of Ebay.

9. ENF

ENF Participant

+26
    Yes it is... Yahoo! is to Japanese people what Google is to a lot of westerners. :)
    Mercari, however, is taking a chunk of business out of Yahoo! Auctions here in Japan.

Yahoo! Japan provides a host of services... while Google is just seen for searching and mail. (a light example of comparison...)

I'll have to check to see if I still have my Yahoo account that was connected to a few groups... I wonder if they still are active, haha.

10. overcast

overcast Adherent

+69
    I have recently moved many of my yahoo mail contacts to outlook. You never know when the old titanic goes down.

11. \o/

\o/ an oddity

+51
    Just wait until Outlook is shut down.

12. overcast

overcast Adherent

+69
    I don't think so. Outlook in fact is growing stronger. Microsoft is not 90s microsoft anymore.

13. Papa Tango

Papa Tango Aspirant

+12
    Our self-hosted sites are no more immune to disruption than commercially hosted venues.

Several of the Yahoo groups I have belonged to for years have now (or are) in the process of migrating to groups.io

Same sort of feature set that members are accustomed to, and by ponying up 110$US the admins there will transfer the contents & membership of a Yahoo group.

Keep in mind that a whole lot of mailing list type users do not want to be part of something that has a forum structure. I have seen too many precautionary tales leading to the extinction of a whole community by attempting to move it from LISTSERV to a forum board...

14. Butch97

Butch97 Aspirant

+7
    Note that groups.io provides an e-mail listserv, same as Yahoo... although hopefully one that functions better and without the delays of three, five, fifteen, 24 hours or longer between sending a message and the message actually appearing.

Yahoo's generous two-week notice of eviction seems to have created among Yahoo forum owners/admins quite the panicked land-rush to belatedly make the move to groups.io , and created quite a backlog for groups.io to accomplish all the data transfers from Yahoo. For any Yahoo forum owners reading here, you still have time to make the move, but it's not gonna get done overnight.

15. Countrycandy

Countrycandy Neophyte

+0
    Yahoo was my first email, but now I use gmail I thought Yahoo groups shut down a long time ago. I have no idea how to look and see if I'm still in any. No big deal!

16. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+757
    Wait, why are you transferring to Groups.io?

The email functionality of Yahoo Groups is not going away.

17. Papa Tango

Papa Tango Aspirant

+12
    The first one to transfer over was "Amateur-repairs", a group created in 1999. It is dedicated to the repair and maintenance of amateur (ham) radio gear and test equipment. Over the course of the past couple of decades, it has accumulated literally thousands of schematics, manuals, and photographs.

As Butch97 pointed out, Yahoo groups have been fraught with issues--delays in sending, lost posts, etcetera.

This was a good move for AR, and will be for several other groups of a similar bent. The swap over took the groups.io CST about 4 days to move all of the uploaded materials and membership (~6300) over--and is now fully functional.

There are a lot of folks out there that like the LISTSERV style of topical communications. Some of us came over from the USENET days... For whatever reason, longstanding groups such as these are not 'forum folks' and want to sift through things in their email inbox. Each to their own! My personal lesson was in 2006 when I stood up a beautiful Joomla/SMF site in an effort to bring members into that sort of venue. Let's just say that did not work out! :(

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Wes of StarArmy

Wes of StarArmy Adherent

+142
    Because the groups archives contain up to around 20 years worth of archived content, discussions, and knowledge that's about to be deleted.

19. radicalmom

radicalmom Neophyte

+1
    i volunteered to take action and save ten years of archived postings from a group i joined long ago. i've saved all posts to a desktop folder, mostly text, some pdf files, and the like. SO....i have to find an easy-to-use format for a group whose users are slightly above the luddite/newbie stage. is there any liklihood that groups.io will stick around for a while, and,most importantly, will it be easy for YG users to adapt to?

that all being said, what would anyone recommend for a bunch of old fogies to transfer to? i can do the transfer, but the format has to be "learnable".

thanks in advance

:)

20. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+757
    Groups.io would be the easiest service that is most comparable.

Keep in mind that Yahoo Groups is not "shutting down", they're limiting their web functionality but the email listserv will still go on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.