XF2.1 alternatives to Brogan's CTA Featured Threads

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Karll, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Karll

Karll Adherent

+143
    Does anyone have any suggestions to alternative add-ons to Brogan's CTA Featured Threads that will work on XF2.1?

Some have suggested XenPorta 2. If I remember correctly, there used to be some issues with the compatibility of that add-on with other add-ons, and the developer didn't use to be the most reliable person in the world either. But it does say it's already compatible with XF2.1, so that's something.

2. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+788
  3. Karll

Karll Adherent

+143
    I saw that, but it sounds like a one-off job, it doesn't exist in the resource manager, and does he even have the right to distribute a derived product like that?

I would prefer an add-on with long-term support, and developed by a reputable developer.

4. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+788
    Maybe it's just not ready to release until 2.1 is finalised. It looked good though from what I remember when he originally posted it, and closest to the original add out of other alternative suggestions I've seen people post.

5. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+788
    Ahh, that first link is the one I was thinking of originally.

6. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,152
    ... and for the tech inclined, the XF2 demo app is a great start as well. https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/dev/lets-build-an-add-on/ (at the very bottom is a link to download a packaged version of it). I know there are a few people using that for the basis for the own implementations.

If you need something that will look & act nearly identical to the original add-on by Brogan, get a hold of Brent W (https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/dev/lets-build-an-add-on/). The developer working on the project for him is somebody that is well known and, from the last beta I played with, is nearing completion. I don't know if they'll be packaging it up for general distribution or will continue treating it as a private add-on but knowing the dev involved I wouldn't be worried too much about using it.

For what I need for the front page of Cameraderie I'm going with the first option of using the demo as a starting point and then building my own add-on for featuring attachments on the front page.

7. Matthew S

Matthew S Adherent

+188
    I ended up just spending the $40 on XenPortal 2. I haven't bumped into any problems as yet, but I don't really use a lot of add-ons. In fact, just this, XFRM, and a PixelExit style so far.

It's simple enough to use. I don't personally need more than what this provides, and the fact that it doesn't have an annual renewal fee is a bonus (just like CTA FT&P used to be). I'm fairly self-sufficient so I don't really need to worry too much about JaxelJaxel 's abrupt support style. He has an FAQ and a couple of YouTube vids that tell you pretty much everything you need to know, anyway.

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.