Apache PHP XF1.x: Bulk Emailer sends one at a time

Discussion in 'Servers and Control Panels' started by Floyd R Turbo, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+164
    So mid-August I switched an XF board I manage off of GoDaddy to a new VPS, and migrated all my other sites (forum and non-forum) over. After a weird glitch that arose but was remedied by upgrading to php7.0, I soon discovered that the Xenforo bulk mailer was sending messages one at a time vs in larger batches.

I posted about that on Xenforo in this thread but haven't received an answer. The rebuild still happens in the same amount of time, but with each refresh of the screen, the number on "sending message ###" only increments one at a time. As you can imagine, this is rather maddening seeing as before, emails sent maybe 10-15 or more per refresh.

Site #1 was on GoDaddy on a VPS
    All the rest of the sites were on the same host, reseller package.
    Combined them all to a VPS on the same host with the reseller package.
    Upgraded to php7.0 with php-fpm enabled

Site #1 previously had been using Pepipost for sending messages due to the GoDaddy Sucks factor on email delivery.

On the other sites, one XF forum still uses Pepipost so I haven't tested that yet. So in reality, I have no idea how long this has been occurring. I do have a "delivery" sub-domain set up for Site #1 still, that was in place to allow a feature of Pepipost where they would then prevent a little "sent via Pepipost" from showing up in received messages on the user end (like gmail, etc). I also have some other domain records in the zone file related to Pepipost, but I don't think these are the cause (but what do I know).

All I did was remove the Pepipost connection and changed over to the default with the -f parameter.

Is this one-at-a-time issue something that anyone else has encountered, and if so, how did you address it?

Incidentally, I run User Mentions Improvements by Xon and when I mention a usergroup that has ~200 users, those mentions go out really fast, like all at once. So this seems to be specifically limited to the Bulk Emailer.

TIA
    Bud

2. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+164
  3. Brad

Brad Charter Member

+1,193
    Xenforo just passes control to whatever you have php configured to send them with. Check your sever configuration/Message Transfer Agent as it should be able to process batches of 1,000+ at a time. Do you use Postfix?

4. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+164
    Yes I get that - what's odd is the behavior of it. When you are on the "sending" screen, and that's updating/refreshing every X seconds (8 by default I believe) in the past that number that reflects how many emails have been sent would jump 10 or so with each "pass". Now it's only doing one with each pass

I guess I don't understand one thing, when XF "passes control" on, it has to "know" how many emails it can "pass on" in a given period of time, right? So there has to be some setting on the server side saying "send me another message now" or something?

You'll have to forgive me because I'm in a territory I don't really understand. But I'm damn good with google

No idea what that is

5. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+164
    I'm not getting anywhere...trying to find anything in WHM, can't. I have root access, just needing a point in the right direction. It has to be a setting, or something that has changed with WHM within the last few years, never had this problem before I switched to Pepipost, now that I've switched back off Pepipost, it's happening.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,623
    What type of error logs are you seeing if any? There should be something to go by.

7. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+164
    I'm not getting any errors in the ACP logs. If you're referring to server side error logs, I honestly wouldn't really know where to look (that's where the whole newbie thing starts to kick in)

It's not that the emails are not sending. They are, but they just go one at a time with each ACP refresh, every 8 seconds. So it takes 3 hours to send 900 emails.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,623
    Do you have anything special in your config file for XenForo maybe left over from when you were using Pepipost? I'm not that knowledgeable with mail settings (I had MattWMattW set us up with AWS).

9. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+164
    Nothing that I can think of. I set up a "delivery" sub-domain, but that's specific to Pepipost, so if I'm not using Pepipost, then it shouldn't affect anything

I have some zone file entries that allow pepipost to send (SPF record includes pepipost.net, there is a pepipost._domainkey entry in addition to the default._domainkey, things like that)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted