XF Permissions System Sucks

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Joeychgo, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,594
    Which was most likely controlled by the post image I attached above

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 1.07.03 PM.png

The point of using a banned group as primary would be so that there is NEVER any possibility of the ban being lifted by the system since all settings are set to NEVER, which cannot be over-ridden by any secondary groupings that they may be a member of.

2. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,518
    Wouldn't all permissions set to "Never" in a secondary group have the same effect regardless of the permissions set in the primary group and any other secondary groups?

3. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    Yes, but it's immediately observable by having it in the primary account and if it's the singular account group setting you don't have to worry about styling priority.

4. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,518
    Not something I would do but I understand what you're saying.

5. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+172
    styling priority has no effect on permissions though, are you referring to other effects guided by styling?

6. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    If you had a user that had a Primary as Registered and secondaries as
    Banned
    Limited
    Whatever1
    Whatever2

you then have to maintain appropriate styling priority for each one. By simply setting their Primary as Banned (a user group manually created) you don't have to worry if the styling priority is such that the BANNED group has the correct placement in the chain to be applied. Further those secondary groups may also have permissions that may override the "banned" group unless you have set NEVER across the board. The BANNED status is the primary way to ban, but usergroup is used for styling for a BANNED member specific to that group.
    This would allow you to assign a specific style to them (if I remember correctly as I don't run XF any more) and other style related activity that is specific to that group (say certain template modifications).

7. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+172
    Why not just put Banned styling priority as the highest? Then if everything is set to "never", your perms and styling priority issues are all covered....right?

8. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    You can... but then again you have to make sure that it's always the highest. KISS principle applies. One group to rule them all! ;)
    Also by making the group the only user group they are a member of they are assured of only being "unbanned" by a definitive manual intervention.... or pretty sure as I don't think the promotions allows the changing of the primary group, only secondary. I've closed the demo account out over at XF and don't have an install active so not really sure.

9. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+604
    You know, I actually even gave an example where this was outright done.

Go look at SMF 2.0. They have this. It routinely confuses people.

10. gilmoreren

gilmoreren Participant

+49
    I agree with this. Cloning or being able to export/import permissions would be massively helpful.

I've set up a spreadsheet with each usergroup permission listed in columns. Made the move from Xenforo to vBulletin last week. Once the data had migrated I sat with my spreadsheet printout (A3 naturally) and laboriously updated each usergroup and then each node permission. Took about 2 hours!

I've been getting my head around the permissions system on XF for a few months now. Once you realise how it's intended to work, it makes sense but it does take time to understand it.

11. Igneous

Igneous Participant

+15
    I'd just like Vbulletin's permissions system on XF. I wonder if it's possible to create an addon that would essentially do this.

12. Amaury

Amaury Habitué

+414
    Only problem with that is that banned users don't see the proper banned message or whatever it is. I know I had issues with this when we first moved now terminated KH-Flare to XenForo in January 2014. The fix was to set everything to Not Set (No) for the additional Banned user group created only for styling.

Unless you want to apply different styling to make banned users stand out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.