XF 2.1 stable

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by GoingRight, Jan 11, 2019.

1. January

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. February

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. March

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  4. April

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  5. I don’t care

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. Give up on waiting

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  7. 1.5 forever

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,663
    For trivial functions yes. Essential functions: no. Therefore a review of all this is in in progress.
    Some addons can be partially replaced.

2. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+953
    Out of curiosity, what are the essential ones that you're don't wish to remove and can't find replacements for?

3. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,099
    We have a few in security that where not ported from 1.x to 2.x so that needs to be addressed by looking for other solutions.

4. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,663
    Without talking about TAZ addons, the following addons are not available for XF2.1 and are important to my sites:
    1. live feed. There is no way I am going to downgrade to a static site after having a live newsfeed for years.
    2. social groups. It took years before social groups were buggy but at least somewhat usable. Will likely take years before there is a solution.
    3. Stripe Full. This addon works on xf2.0 and I'm not sure yet if it will work on 2.1 It would cost income to upgrade without it.
    4. filter links included in Bobs addons are used daily and bring in income that I don't want to lose. Now that xf has custom fields a solution is needed for core fields.
    5. Meta Mirror prevents dead links and brings in external attachments.
    6. NixFifty tickets. We need our helpdesk
    7. Calendar
    8. Vaultwiki is currently in alpha, but will take some time to reach stable: https://www.vaultwiki.org/xf-wiki/index.php?wiki/
    9. I need to have my reputation system, registration essentials and a few other custom addons rewritten once the above is in order.
    10. bd attachment Store caused 140k broken links which first need to be fixed before I can upgrade.
    So my guess is 2020. Until then development for XF1 is ongoing.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Banxix

Banxix Enthusiast

+55
    1. I always use latest posts statistics for that. For me live feeds are fine but redundant.
    2. I don't know why there have not a good social group, maybe you are nit-picking. What missing features / improments do you need?
    5. XF 2 have Image Proxy, and it is built in. I didn't use XF 1.
    7. There already some calendar addons and 2.1 is not different from 2.0, should run fine.
    9. I also miss reputation system from vB.

6. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,663
    I'm not sure what you mean. Could you please explain.
    There are 2 addons. Nobita groups for xf1 has plenty of features but very buggy. It took 4 years and 100+ releases for the most problematic issues to be resolved while there are still plenty of bugs left. Each release brings new bugs. Some of which broke the site or addon.There is a XF2.1 version, but as you might imagine I have no desire to go trough the same experience again.

There also is one by snog which is basic in comparison. I had the xf1 version audited and it turned out to be a bad idea to use that code. After posting about the audit here I was 'accidentally banned/discouraged' from the developers site for a year. I have not had the XF2 version audited, but some of the same problematic approaches are used that came up in the XF1 audit. See the post I linked to for more info.

So to me the two only addons are not a current solution. Maybe these may turn out better than they now seem. Who knows?
    Correct, but its not the same function. Plus the XF proxy gave me a lot of trouble for my server setup.
    I agree. I already built out the vb reputation system when I was still using vb. For XF my reputation system is much more advanced than vb. :)
    The latest version even sends 'thank you for posting quality' emails to members and allows you to bulk clean up low quality threads.

7. Banxix

Banxix Enthusiast

+55
    I referred to the addon Brivium Modern Statistic. (link is censored here)
    I know some people don't like him but I just use what is good for my case. I just started since XF 2.
    However I mistook it with Live Feed so nevermind.

So the two seem unusable.
    I'm just curious. Did you get troubles with Snog's addon like high cpu usage, bugs, exceptions so you decided to take an audit of it?

8. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,663
    I was using vbulletin and needed to have an importer and some additional functionality built, so I needed to know what the optimal solution was. So I had both audited to make sure I choose the optimal addon. Which was Nobita combined with 3rd party fixes because despite all the bugs, the code design scales well. I did not use snog groups live.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  9. Snog

Snog Enthusiast

+241
    You are incorrect. The permission approach that was used in XF 1 (which was only really an issue in the back end, not the front end) is no longer used in the XF 2 version.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,663
    Thank you for that information. This was not clear to me.

11. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,585
    It is not so much that people don't like him... but more like he was a software pirate and also had backdoors and special code that called back to his sites and allowed him the ability to install code remotely in his add-ons.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Cyburbia

Cyburbia Fan

+17
    I'm using XF 2.0.12 -- I converted from vBulletin 4 a little over a month ago. What's involved in upgrading to 2.1?

13. we_are_borg

+2,099
    Have an active license, test site to test then go live, backup database, backup file system backup backup really important. Disable add-ons and make sure you have add-ons that also work on 2.1 then update.

14. palhanow

palhanow Enthusiast

+109
    Working fine here.

Some users are complaining about the performance on mobile, but in my tests (a lot of smartphones) no problem at all.

Probably this is happening on very old Android phones.

Don't had any problems with the upgrade too. Didn't even did a backup (Yeah, that's my level of trust on the plataform).

BUT, i had to disable some incompatible addons. Waiting for new versions.

15. Cyburbia

Cyburbia Fan

+17
    Thanks! I think I'll hold off until a three-day weekend, when traffic will be light.

I was used to the old vBulletin way of upgrading -- backup everything just in case, unzip the scripts, upload overwriting all the old scripts, run an upgrade script, delete the upgrade/install script, and profit.

16. we_are_borg

+2,099
    Its the same thing from 2.0 to 2.1 only you’ll need to make sure theme and add-ons will work 100%.

17. Dan18

Dan18 Fan

+262
    Same here, about lag and slow mobile performance.

18. palhanow

palhanow Enthusiast

+109
    Let's wait the 2.1.1. Maybe they notice this.

I just don't report on XF official Forum because they don't sound like much receptive and in good mood people.

19. sanction9

sanction9 Enthusiast

+123
    The only thing I've seen on the XF forums related to poor performance on mobile had to do with emojis loading, which should be solved by disabling "Show emoji in smilie menu ." But other than that, you might have to give them something more concrete to go on than "some members report some lag."

20. palhanow

palhanow Enthusiast

+109
    Totally agree my admin friend. You are right.

But if i disable, i lost all the new emojis, right?

People are complaining about the Emojis, quote: "It's a terrible experience on mobile". But people complain about everything everyday.

I don't know why XF chose to host this images in a external service.

I hope there is anyway to import all of then with a XML file. Do you know something about it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.