XF 2.0 Screenshots & development update

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Joeychgo, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer

+1,833
    Sure. But when it takes less than half a second with LESS, that's a no brainer when LESS gives you a fairly comparable feature set.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
    I would call that a win, :)

3. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    Yeah, I just meant it doesn't bother me having to wait 5 seconds while a theme compiles changes made

4. John L.

John L. XenForo Enthusiast

+256
    The only reason I'm focused on Sass (SCSS) is because even CSS frameworks that have been huge LESS supporters (Bootstrap) are dumping it for Sass (Bootstrap 4). I think there has to be a reason behind that no? However if it really is causing too much overhead for you guys and the process time is too costly then I perfectly understand your stance on it. It's just unfortunate :).

Edit: Looks like Bootstrap went with libsass because that's supposed to be faster and the community is much more active than the LESS community. At least that's when been reported.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  5. Chris D

+1,833
    Doesn't libsass require C/C++? That's a pretty big dependency that isn't really feasible for us.

6. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,518
    Maybe for XF 4.0.4.0.4?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  7. John L.

+256
    Libsass is a C/C++ port, but there are some PHP extensions that are on github using it. I haven't looked too much into it though. https://github.com/sensational/sassphp

8. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,800
    Word on the street is Xenforo 4.0404 is going to be released soon maybe.

9. Goodfella

Goodfella Adherent

+217
    Chris D Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to come here and answer our questions.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  10. Tatl

Tatl Developer

+15
    I'm diggin the new style. I like it a lot more than the 1.x default.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. John L.

+256
    Hey Chris, I did a convert of my site CSS to libsass and OMG lol. It literally compiles the second I tap S on my keyboard. I had no idea it was that fast...

Plus using libsass with Bourbon is really nice. It's basically my replacement for Compass since it's dead anyway. I know you guys are far along in your development, but man this was an eye opener for me. Wow!

12. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+644
    Shouldn't this...
    Code:
    <div class="block">
        <div class="block-container">
            <xf:if is="$trophies is not empty">
                <ol class="block-body">
                    <xf:foreach loop="$trophies" value="$trophy">
                        <li class="block-row block-row--separated">
                            <div class="figureRow">
                                <span class="figureRow-figure figureRow-figure--text figureRow-figure--fixedSmall">{$trophy.Trophy.trophy_points}</span>
                                <div class="figureRow-main">
                                    <span class="figureRow-extra"><xf:date time="{$trophy.award_date}" /></span>
                                    <h2 class="figureRow-header">{$trophy.Trophy.title}</h2>
                                    <div class="figureRow-minor">{$trophy.Trophy.description|raw}</div>
                                </div>
                            </div>
                        </li>
                    </xf:foreach>
                </ol>
            <xf:else />
                <div class="block-body block-row">{{ phrase('x_has_not_been_awarded_any_trophies_yet', {'name': $user.username}) }}</div>
            </xf:if>
            <div class="block-footer">
                <span class="u-pullLeft">{{ phrase('total_points') }}: {{ number($user.trophy_points) }}</span>
                <span class="u-pullRight"><a href="{{ link('help', {'page_name': 'trophies'}) }}" class="button">{{ phrase('view_all_available_trophies') }}</a></span>
            </div>
        </div>
    </div>

be this (nesting changes only):
    Code:
    <div class="block">
        <div class="block-container">
            <xf:if is="$trophies is not empty">
            <ol class="block-body">
                <xf:foreach loop="$trophies" value="$trophy">
                <li class="block-row block-row--separated">
                    <div class="figureRow">
                        <span class="figureRow-figure figureRow-figure--text figureRow-figure--fixedSmall">{$trophy.Trophy.trophy_points}</span>
                        <div class="figureRow-main">
                            <span class="figureRow-extra"><xf:date time="{$trophy.award_date}" /></span>
                            <h2 class="figureRow-header">{$trophy.Trophy.title}</h2>
                            <div class="figureRow-minor">{$trophy.Trophy.description|raw}</div>
                        </div>
                    </div>
                </li>
                </xf:foreach>
            </ol>
            <xf:else />
            <div class="block-body block-row">{{ phrase('x_has_not_been_awarded_any_trophies_yet', {'name': $user.username}) }}</div>
            </xf:if>
        <div class="block-footer">
            <span class="u-pullLeft">{{ phrase('total_points') }}: {{ number($user.trophy_points) }}</span>
            <span class="u-pullRight"><a href="{{ link('help', {'page_name': 'trophies'}) }}" class="button">{{ phrase('view_all_available_trophies') }}</a></span>
        </div>
        </div>
    </div>

Just seems easier to read to me. I don't think conditionals should add indents. They are part and partial to the code block they encompass.

13. lordi

lordi Adherent

+28
    congratulation, :tup::tup::tup:

14. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    Wow, those look great. XenForo looks much more modern there. Can't wait to see what that translates to in terms of theme design in the future. Take notes, IPS.

15. dtdesign

dtdesign Developer

+658
    Chris D The performance of the raw libraries don't matter, it all comes down to the PHP implementations. The speed difference between them for large amounts of LESS/SCSS are insignificant, but the most common PHP-LESS-compiler has a significant amount of bugs and the development speed isn't what it used to be. On top of that SASS/SCSS has almost become the de facto standard when it comes to CSS preprocessors, I have no idea how you could still stick with LESS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  16. Chris D

+1,833
    In our testing, they were far from insignificant and the only solution was to take a very different approach to how we compile templates, especially surrounding dynamic information that could be inserted.

At the time LESS was chosen (probably over a couple of years ago now), the PHP implementations for LESS were far more viable.

It's worth noting that XF1 currently has no CSS pre-processor at all so regardless of anything, LESS is still a vast improvement over that, and that's the important thing.

17. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    So you stuck with LESS all because you picked it over SASS 'years ago'. Can you not change your mind again since, especially if you can see the de-facto is SASS today being used and better supported than LESS?

So because XenForo 1.x didn't use a pre-processor before, that makes it's okay because even using LESS means it's still better than using no pre-processor at all. That doesn't really make sense when you're still opting years later to go with an obvious less popular LESS over SASS. Is this really not because it would set back development if you changed it now?

18. Chris D

+1,833
    No. We stuck with LESS because the performance of SASS absolutely bombs. We intended to make the switch earlier this year, tried it, and it didn't work for us - we're not prepared to make compromises in other areas when LESS is perfectly viable.

It makes perfect sense. LESS is the only viable option and still represents a huge improvement.

19. Nuno

Nuno Participant

+13
    Hi Chris D , I know this thread is about the design, but any news regarding translations? Can xf1 translations be used in xf2? Will we see inline translations?

Thanks

20. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,127
    I have to agree with GTB on this it makes no sense to use a system that does not undergo steady development and has many bugs. I rather have to wait a few seconds and have a good system then a system that is fast but can have issues with. What you forget is that Style development is not a process done daily by many and people should do this on a test environment first then export the style to live server. So speed is not a real issue here it's more in the heads of developers that everything needs to be as fast as possible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.