XenForo to vB5 - A viable option?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Paul M, Jun 25, 2017.

1. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,735
    Only going off what I was told by people here after one of the hacks a year or two ago.

2. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,477
    It just surprised me, is all.

3. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,242
    It equally contains many inactive licences from people who have long since quit running any sort of forum, not a great surprise for something thats been running for about 17 years now. I would imagine XF, IPS etc also have many inactive licences (for starters, mine on XF, not renewed since 2011).

4. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,477
    True. I have three xf licences - none of which are in use right now. I also have 2 vB5 licences - neither of which are being used either lol

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  5. insaneadmin

insaneadmin Enthusiast

+198
    ^ same. Got 1 XF licence that was used a while ago but as that project didn't really go anywhere it's just sitting waiting to be renewed for something else.

6. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,735
    As a forum user I do not want to see that- it's just spam, I don't like it. I know what forums I joined, if I wanted emails I'd subscribe to threads or forums. I delete them immediately (that means you TAZ.)

7. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,280
    I've seen it work many times to drive traffic, and those that don't want I gave them an opt-out at signup and at the bottom of each email.

8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,127
    Well its newsletter so people need to opt-in or opt-out, i myself rather have opt-in system.

9. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,800
    I like a newsletter 3-6 times a year.
    Not weekly !

10. HostXNow

HostXNow Aspirant

+8
    I agree to this. May also offer weekly or monthly option for those who prefer monthly or even quarterly. You would be surprised what even quarterly can do.

11. Shimei

Shimei Fan

+289
    I'm running Vb 5.3.1 at the time of writing this. The board has been on Vbulletin 5 now for a little over two years.

One of the issues a new board has is not enough posts or members. Statistics are not something I usually display when the board is growing. However, I ran an Adword campaign the other night and within the first 15 minutes there were hundreds of people online with no apparent slow down on the VPS from A2 hosting.

The stats on my board are actually now displayed on the Activity page:

Activity.jpg

And here's the real time activity when the Adword campaign became active:

ad.jpg
    I was really surprised to see so many which access the site through mobile devices.

Enjoy,
    William

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.