XenForo to vB5 - A viable option?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Paul M, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,234
    [Edit: Split from this thread: https://theadminzone.com/threads/guidance-requested-xenforo-to-vb5.144569/]

I dislike VB5, and always will - due to its basic design.

However, to be fair, its nowhere near as bad now as the early 5.0.x versions.
    It still has bugs, and management still seems to prefer adding new stuff rather than fixing existing bugs, but it is genuinely better.

(FYI, only three people work on it now : Kevin, David & Jin).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,800
    vB5 is not a viable option.
    If you want out of Xenforo, try IPB 4.2 or WBB.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Adherent

+127
    o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Why?!?

ai.imgur.com_iWKad22.jpg

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Meh x 1
    • Something Fishy! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • List
  4. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+250
    going backwards, below is 100% correct

• Something Fishy! Something Fishy! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,234
    Of course its a viable option, its just as viable as any other choice.

6. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,512
    Either you're contradicting yourself or you have a very low opinion of IPS and WBB.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,234
    What absolute rubbish, are you trolling ?

Just because I dont like vB5 doesnt mean its not a viable option.

I have no opinion on IPS or WBB (whatever that is) since I dont use them, and never have.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Popcorn Popcorn x 1
    • List
  8. The Sandman

+5,512
    It's not that you don't like vB5... why would that matter. It's the reasons you gave for not liking it... they were persuasive.

9. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,234
    It still has bugs ? What software does not ?

vB5 is a perfectly viable option, not one I would choose, but it will work just fine (and does work, for many sites)

10. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,476
    It seemed a lot faster when I visited the vB forums the other day.

11. The Sandman

+5,512
    You questioned its basic design, its bugs, and the way it is being managed/developed. Your words not mine. You did also say it was nowhere near as bad as it used to be, a left-handed compliment if I've ever heard one.

12. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,806
    I don't like SMF at all, but that doesn't mean that I have to believe that it's not a viable option for anyone else just because I don't like it.

Paul clearly doesn't like vB5 - but that doesn't mean that he has to believe that it's not a valid option for others.

I could give some persuasive reasons for why I think Evangelion is a mediocre anime at best... but I'd probably be lynched by the fanbase if I did.

Part of the problem with vB is the fact that so many of their former customers are still too salty to be able to accept that some people may prefer vB5 to XF or IPB. Honestly, I don't understand why someone would prefer vB5 - but I do know that there are people who do, and I hold nothing against them.

To each their own.

13. The Sandman

+5,512
    Paul isn't a former customer of vB, he's a former developer for vB. I take his criticisms of vB5 seriously.

He is salty at times though... I'll grant you that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. TrixieTang

+2,806
    Does a former developer have to be of the opinion that they'd use the product? Do former developers have to be of the opinion that the product wasn't without its flaws?

I'm not really sure where you're going with this - Paul's opinion here seems to be clear and not all that contradictory.

15. The Sandman

+5,512
    I pointed out where I saw the contradiction. You and Paul disagree with me. In a nutshell, that's it.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  16. TrixieTang

+2,806
    I'd be agreeing with you if I actually saw the contradiction - but sometimes it really seems like Paul's posts end up getting a bit over-scrutinized due to his whole history with vB.

Anyways, do you have an opinion on whether vB5 is actually a viable option?

17. The Sandman

+5,512
    Well then I expect you'll get plenty of like/agree ratings on your posts in this thread and I won't.
    I do have an opinion, but opinions of vB5 viability wasn't actually what the op asked about - that was a tangent that took the thread off topic. If you have questions about whether people think vB5 is a viable option there are plenty of old threads to peruse or you can start a new one since vB5 isn't nearly as bad as it used to be I'm told.

18. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,456
    Is there even a converter for XenForo to vB5?

I think most of that is cultural. People from England have a way of speaking that often seems salty / combative to US people. Remember, the British and Americans are two peoples divided by a common language.

Whether vb5 is viable depends on your needs and your definition of viable. For me, it is absolutely not viable. It (still) lacks the performance, features and addon development I need and want.

Viable, perhaps, subject to my above statement. However, considering vb5 is (I think) the most expensive of the commonly available/used forum software out there, you have to ask if the quality justifies the price compared to other software. or in other words, the value.

In the end, its my belief that there is better software out there for less money. So as a value question, IMO, vb5 is NOT a viable choice.

19. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
    XenForo to vB5 - A viable option?

Answer would be for 90% of forums, no way, because of the below:

No!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  20. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,733
    It's only the most expensive in upfront costs. Not long term.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.