Xenforo OneSignal Push Notifications - Now With Simple Install 1.1.10

Exclusive on TAZ One Signal notifications for Xenforo

1. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,528
    OneSignal provides a free service and makes money by aggregating data. Specifically they resell information to adverting platforms & related parties about your users interaction with your website (likely content that they post and read), which URLs they visit, email addresses, browser & device information (likely a fingerprint), location, alert content.

When using this service it would be wise to add a provision to your privacy statement and if you are in the EU, you may need explicit consent from your users.

2. pierce

pierce Fan

+559
    It's in the readme with the mod explaining privacy.

The enterprise edition is $440 a year for 500,00 subs across multiple accounts and sites making it the lowest costing service around.

3. pierce

pierce Fan

+559
    (likely content that they post and read) - yes they have that from referral data

which URLs they visit - same as above

email addresses - my mod doesn't use email anywhere it's optional in the config but I don't use it and wouldn't like to see it used

browser & device information (likely a fingerprint) - browser from referral data and some method to create a unique id in order to identify the device your targeting the alert to

location - has to be granted by the user in chrome I'm sure we all see Google wants your location. This mod shouldn't ask.

alert content - ah yeah if you want to use to send the alert with them they need to know the content obviously

The only data i communicate is:
    User id
    User name
    Hash - an encrypted version of your user id
    Last forum id

Everything apart from hash can be discovered by guests.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku Adherent

+200
    Pierce, would you say that my privacy policy covers it?

https://www.nikoncafe.com/help/privacy/

My app doesn't request location info, and your addon doesn't use email, so the only specific example I gave of PII was the mobile identifier.

5. pierce

pierce Fan

+559
    That should be fine. It does collect IP too.

If your mobile apps take off and the Onesignal intrergration works well would you not consider paying for it?

Edited a few hours later - im just being curious you can tell me to mind my own business :)

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  6. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+73
    Yes, thank you Pierce - it's a great addition to forums and will help us compete with social networks...

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  7. Kintaro

Kintaro Enthusiast

+28
    Shin RyokuShin Ryoku do you confirm it?

A solution could be mass alert all the users warning them about the duplicates notifications and how to unsubscribe to the mobile browsers ones. Is it possibile right?

Is it possibile also to filter users that subscribed to app and mobile browser without annoying the others?

8. pierce

pierce Fan

+559
    You can send to segment and see app id> 0

This also means you could segment users on old versions and send them links to the play store.

This is done within onesignal site.

9. Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku Adherent

+200
    So far I haven't been able to get Pierce's addon working with GoNative. With the latest code I'm seeing GoNative app users tagged by user ID in OneSignal, but I don't seem to be getting notifications.

10. pierce

pierce Fan

+559
    I updated the code a few days ago in the thread. That is the one you have working?

11. pierce

pierce Fan

+559
    Cool.

Let me know if you start getting alerts through the app. I'm keen to know in order to put it into the core.

I don't use gonative myself, but I understand the importance of extending the add-on to work with other addons.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  12. Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku Adherent

+200
    I've started getting them! The only thing is that they were notifications for posts in watched threads/forums but instead of saying that, they say "________ liked your post!"

Also, I don't seem to be getting notifications for new conversation posts.

13. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+73
    If there's any possibility of getting something like this working for other popular platforms - like vBulletin - that COULD really turn things around for forums...

14. Kwiik™

Kwiik™ Neophyte

+0
    Thank you for sharing i am looking for an addons of kind

15. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,528
    Is there any benefit in having PUSH notifications for guests? I understand that you can send custom messages, but I assume that guests cannot subscribe to any content?

16. K Papas

K Papas Neophyte

+2
    piercepierce in library/OneSignal/Model/Conversation. PHP

You can replace
    Code:
    $url = $options->boardUrl . "/conversations/".$mid['conversation_id']."/#message-".$mid['last_message_id'];
    With
    Code:
    $url = $options->boardUrl . "/conversations/".$mid['conversation_id']."/unread";
    It will take user directly to the last unread message and also on correct page of conversation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  17. pierce

pierce Fan

+559
    Its all about re-targeting.

I find a lot of blogs, shops etc are auto prompting me for notifications. I assume its in the hope to let me know about a new post or a product I may be interested in.

So its also a careful balance between too much information and too little.

This is why push notifications from some companies are quite expensive. Its also specific to the forum type.

If you were a computer forum, you might want to alert every sub to the new amd ryzen processor.

Or a camera forum, the new nikon d5s plus.

Or a car, the new Ford GT Mustang

etc etc

And the goal from there is to get conversions to affiliates.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  18. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Fan

+227
    • Like Like x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  19. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+73
    Hey. I'm getting a lot of "liked your post" notifications that are actually not likes but responses to discussions I'm subscribed to. Is this normal?