XenForo mastered the forum software. Now is time to go beyond with a road map.

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by palhanow, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Dubbed Navigator

Dubbed Navigator Adherent

+97

I think we have different views on what is blunt.

Chris is answering a question, which seems a fair one as it feels quite a black/white sort of action.

He has said its not easy, but possible and provided a solution. The next poster also demonstrates a potential reason why that may have happened that way.

I havent used it personally, so cant really comment further.

IMO If you are forcing a user (new or current) to make a decision that determines their continued use of your forum, you are should be damn sure about doing so.

2. BigIG

BigIG Aspirant

+6
    Come on.

He's throwing it back on the paying customer instead of just admitting "we made a decision not to expose any control panel method to undo this feature".

3. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+227
    BigIG I'm afraid I can't see anything wrong with that response either, it goes into quite a lot of detail about how to fix the issue the OP asked about.

4. Dubbed Navigator

Dubbed Navigator Adherent

+97
    He explains how to get around it, I’m not seeing the issue at all.

5. BigIG

BigIG Aspirant

+6
    Yes, sprinkled with snark.

We're not going to see eye to eye on this, no doubt.

6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,236
    It didn't read as snarky to me. Text, it's far too easy to misinterpret intent and emotional context.

7. BigIG

BigIG Aspirant

+6
    Oh that one is mild compared to many others.

But anyway, some people won't agree and it's wasted energy trying to convince them.

8. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,330
    I don't see a particular problem but I can see how it might be taken out of context.

I would assume asking a user why they did something unexpected is a genuine question rather than to imply it was not the correct thing to do. The answer to that question was met with rather a sarcastic reply from the user (unless I've taken that out of context :)).

I do agree that ideally there should be an option to disable the function but Chris did provide a solution.

9. BigIG

BigIG Aspirant

+6
    But it is a totally expected action. It is a featured they designed, implemented, and promoted. Then when users encounter issues with the feature, they get snark while asking how to back out of it.

It's definitely a part of the support process to trace the sequence of events leading up to an issue arising, I agree.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.