XenForo mastered the forum software. Now is time to go beyond with a road map.

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by palhanow, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,189
    Ok, move on from this pointless bickering.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,023
    Having read through this whole thread, I have a few thoughts.

1. Tea is the only proper beverage for a human.

2. Forums do need to evolve, but I wonder why so many feel they need to become Reddit or Facebook clones? If that's what's truly wanted, just get rid of forum software and use those two established platforms. We need to focus instead on the strengths of forums and build on those to create something that stands out from the others.

3. Adding a CMS to forums. That's been a call to action for a long time but it's backwards thinking. A better concept is to start with a CMS and build the forum functions into it. This is the way that corporate intranet CMS' have done it for years.

4. The problem with roadmaps is once you've opened them, you can never get them folded back up again. They just become a source of frustration. This is doubly true of development roadmaps, where often there are plenty of signposts but very few clear paths between them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. BigIG

BigIG Aspirant

+4
    All well and good.

The central point is the guys are more often than not grumpy and short with support requests. They don't keep any central, organised reference or knowledge base of common questions. Multiple threads on the same issue go unanswered when merging and giving a definitive reply would do the job. They actually seem to have deleted a ton of discussions about the development of XF2 that might be useful to developers.

Instead of changing or getting someone in who can deal with criticism better, they demand that their customers just deal with it.

4. BigIG

BigIG Aspirant

+4
  5. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,086
    There is no guarantee of any official response on the forums. The topic seems fairly niche, also it isn't quite clear what the user wants.

6. BigIG

BigIG Aspirant

+4
    It is the "Xenforo questions and support" board.

A board for people to ask questions and seek support.

A dedicated customer service/liaison person would pick these up and formulate a response, point to resources, doco and so on.

Of course some requests just don't make sense or are vague or what have you. That's where a support person comes in to help refine the question, work out the actual issue, get the customer some help.

You don't leave people hanging for days without even an acknowledgement.

7. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer

+1,735
    We reply to what we can as soon as we can on the forum but it is primarily for community support. We have to prioritise our time towards the Ticket system where the majority of tickets are responded to within an hour.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+115
    It's the same reason NodeBB and Flarum are copying Discourse, even though people don't really want that. Because it's popular.

If Flarum tried to be it's own thing rather than an inferior PHP version of Discourse, then perhaps it would get more traction. And NodeBB isn't too bad as a software, but the theme is far too close and it seems a little... confused?

9. BigIG

BigIG Aspirant

+4
    "Hi mate, best to try opening a ticket and we can help you out."

Easy. Everyone leaves happy.

Also... you have a tickets system?

10. ips_doug

ips_doug Aspirant

+9
    Xenforo is overrated imho. Ipb is much much better.

11. phatcows

phatcows Enthusiast

+129
    Can you elaborate on how you came to this conclusion?

12. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+115
    I assume he works at IPB, judging by his name.

13. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,087
    As far as i know he is not staff of IPS.

14. ips_doug

ips_doug Aspirant

+9
    I loled at this :D

Seriously, I am not affiliated with Ipb in any way, shape or form. I am just sick of hearing that Xf is the best thing since the sliced bread. xf is a decent software, but saying that it mastered the forum software, it is going too far imho.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  15. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,252
    I don't think any forum software is a clear winner. I think it really comes down to what you need to keep your members happy and in my case that's mostly a combination of free to use products such as SMF and XenForo. In my view both platforms are slow to evolve but they best suit my needs.

Invision Community or whatever you choose to call it is in my opinion the most innovative and evolved product available but it doesn't tick enough boxes for my requirements. Of course my requirements may well not suit anyone else's needs so I have to make the best of what's available.

16. Dubbed Navigator

Dubbed Navigator Adherent

+83
    I'd happily vouch for this. The replies through the ticketing system are everything that can be expected, and often more.

Occasionally the replies through the forum are a bit slow, and maybe a bit blunt, but overall fine.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.