XenForo mastered the forum software. Now is time to go beyond with a road map.

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by palhanow, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,403
    I didn't say I didn't understand roadmaps and the reasoning behind them, just people's obsessions with them :ROFLMAO:

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,098
    The obsession is that people can start planning more and more, when they have access to a roadmap.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  3. Andro

Andro Aspirant

+11
    Upcoming XF 2.1.3 seem to be a big update as well with a quite a lot changes. This year XF has been releasing lesser number of updates but with many fixes at one go.

I don't see them going near 25 releases with third point releases for 2.1 or any future version (only unless upcoming versions become flop, like happened with vB 5). Before XF 2.1.10 (or even quicker 2.1.5:D) surely 2.2 will make its way.

• List
  4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,585
    Look at how nuts folks went when XenForo 2.0 was released. The developers plainly stated that it was going to be targeted at feature parity, but so many of the admins started on about it "should" have new features (which there were a few that were not in XF 1.x). Then they got their panties in a twist when 2.0 didn't have a lot of new features to it. Guess they had to much wax in their ears and TP over their eyes to understand what the developers of the script stated clearly.

• List
  5. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+129
    We love our crystal balls, both developers and admins.
    Well, it did kinda break every plugin and theme, just so mods can ban users.

• List
  6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer

+1,746
    You’re entitled to your opinion of course but I’m getting rather frustrated that almost every single one of your posts appears to be some presumption about our software that is profoundly wrong.

I’m not sure if you’re just making assumptions, or being deliberately facetious or if we’ve done something specific to you that you don’t like but might I suggest you contact us and discuss it further instead of essentially making things up to make us sound bad.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • List
  7. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,206
    Now now everyone, lets play nicely. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  8. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,585
    Again, that fact *(breaking styles and 1.x version add-ons) was clearly stated for those that can comprehend the English language - and even most that English is a 2nd or 3rd language for them.

Hell, the IPS rewrite to 4.0 did the same thing....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,177
    Upgrades often break addons. Nothing new or special with that.

In my opinion, this is more reason to go with a more robust 1st party system like IPS. The updates are all inclusive.

Alao, even if you don't want Commerce or Pages today, who knows what your community will mature into next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP TechArena.IN

+15
    Being a little long time customer in forums Industry..
    Unsure about respected palhanow Sir.

I am still ASSOCIATED with VBULLETIN.. though if they lack features.. /support etc. etc.

SECURITY BEING VITAL, WHERE VBULLETIN.ORG ADMINS/MODS still assist to trust..
    And Truly appreciate them for same..

(Unsure we have same freedom on xenforo) ??
    But, If we have time to spend to change enough on our domains to other software.. we have XENFORO and few alternatives..

TILL THEN we are completely satisfied with VBULLETIN support..
    not on .com but alteast on .org

I am somehow little dissatisfied with accounts/billing thing.. these days ..
    from vbulletin.com

But will change to xenforo till my support truly dies..
    It means lots of forums / -sites..

Still a VB FAN.. not offending anyone around.
    LAST to best vbulletin is still good for us..

11. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP TechArena.IN

+15
    We tested almost most of top 10 forum software(s) on laucnhing/existing topics..

Xenforo sounds good enough for features we missed since vb 3.x
    But we have time to wait / request..

12. Haltech

Haltech Aspirant

+9
    Personally, I’ll stick with WordPress to drive my frontpage and use XF for the forum portion. You can find WP devs at a drop of a hat on fiver or Upwork that can easily connect your user table from both WP and XF.

With the ever changing landscape of SEO, Google has shifted to quality content. Forums simply do not compete in SEO against Wordpress with the same type of success they used to. WP offers the ability to target keywords better by using meta more effectively. You will also find higher quality content indexed on WP sites than forums nowadays.

The forum only days are kind of gone for most site owners. You are going to have to compete harder for traffic which will require better written content for the main page. Forum topics for the most part contain thin content when you consider the length of most replies.

It’s very competitive out there as a site owner. You have to learn by your mistakes that placing all of your eggs in one basket for traffic is a bad thing. Example, is all of your traffic coming from Google? Do you have good sources outside google organic traffic? Diversify is the best advice I can give.

Using a mixed stack of technology is the only way you can successfully compete with other sites (forum/web/marketing stacks)

I think IPB sucks and always have. I’ve been using VB since late 90s and supported XF from day one. I don’t have any issues with the software or features. I’m pretty sure XF knows it’s hard to compete against a CMS.

I used to have 100s of users who hung out on the forums I run all day long to kill the boredom at work. Things are changing and you just need to adapt and understand the shifts you need to make to pivot, that’s all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  13. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP TechArena.IN

+15
    Wordpress can never MATCH WITH ANYTHING, unless you have ............... security ...
    and/or

14. BigIG

BigIG Aspirant

+4
    This has not been our experience.

15. sanction9

sanction9 Enthusiast

+122
    Okay....

16. BigIG

BigIG Aspirant

+4
    I had a much longer post but dumped it. We have raised issues and they are ignored.

Xf need a chirpy young customer service person to get the doco and support responses up to scratch.

Developers doing customer support is not often a good thing.

17. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,218
    Not sure what the age of someone has to do with providing support?

18. BigIG

BigIG Aspirant

+4
    It's just an example. Grumpy and old vs young and chipper.

Don't get caught up on it.

19. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+991
    Broad brushing. Ageism bigotry. Appeal to stereotype.

Young or old, people can be either grumpy or "chipper" depending on the circumstances.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. sanction9

sanction9 Enthusiast

+122
    Well, you quoted me and what you quoted didn't have anything to do with support or customer service, so I'll still say, "Okay...." :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.