XenForo License Validation!

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by The Sandman, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+604
    Ah, see, that wasn't obvious. I somewhat naively assumed it would be shown to other people as well...

2. Igneous

Igneous Participant

+15
    How comes it isn't shown to everybody?

Surely if you validate your license, you'd want everyone to see that little dot.

I thought the same!

3. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,127
    When this first was made we has a badge now we have a dot only people can see if they validated their license.

4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,594
    If I remember correctly (and I am getting older and forgetful), there was whining because the XenForo admins were getting "special treatment" and TAZ was becoming a XenForo only site... never mind the fact that the other scripts did not have an API in place to do the same for them. Apparently it was decided to make the "validation tool" a little less conspicuous. It also probably helped the whining from the "Why do XenForo admins have a special badge and we don't" that was coming from other script admins - again, never mind the fact that their script developers did not have an API present to check against.

5. Pete

+604
    That said, the free packages don't need an API to check against, meaning it's just IPB, vB and WBB, and to a point IPB doesn't need one because IIRC they do all their addon stuff via the main site meaning that an API isn't a thing. (Don't know, didn't fall in love with IPB enough to use it again). I also vaguely thought WBB did something similar there too.

6. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    Both IPS and WBB have packages (3rd party add-ons) that are resourced outside of their respective sites.
    WBB has the ability to check against licenses if I remember correctly, but there is not an API per-se that allows validation to occur like the XF add-on.
    Of course, that add-on (for here) would be required to be coded for XenForo to pull in those API's and I doubt that WBB would be interested in coding an XF app.

7. Pete

+604
    If there were an API, I'm sure someone here could do the legwork to implement it.

8. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    And therein lay the biggest issue... none of the other scripts have an API that offers the ability that XenForo does.... and some whined that it "wasn't fair" like TAZ (or XF developers themselves) should resolve it. They apparently had difficulty understanding that it was the other script developers that needed to develop and offer that function.

9. Transfor

Transfor Neophyte

+2
    ooo nice, ive validated mine

10. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,127
    Your not showing up as validated

11. NobleMan1969

NobleMan1969 Aspirant

+5
    I tried to validate mine but i get this
    The Admin Zone - Error
    The requested page could not be found.

12. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,517
    That feature is currently disabled. You can download XF resources without validation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    Hopefully it will permanently disappear from TAZ.

14. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Adherent

+203

15. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,191
    For now anyone wishing to have access to the XF resource section here will need to PM an admin with license token for verification.

Along with the XF resources then too?

16. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    No.
    Until TAZ's address is not XF.org there is no need here to have an XF licence for the XF resources.

17. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,191
    You're obviously exaggerating why we implemented license verification. It is merely a way to help protect what XF resource authors share from ending up on the many sites that charge after stealing other's work. There are some authors that have submitted here that haven't on XF.com.

So instead of beating around the bush with the jabs maybe come up with a constructive reason why it should be disabled here.

18. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    vBulletin is another script which has addons here and not one is policing who can download-use them.
    Who is forcing TAZ to validate users license to be able to use the addons listed here on TAZ?

Downloading an XF addon without a license is stealing, downloading a vBulletin addon is fair?

Today I validate here my two XF licenses, tomorrow I'll sell them.
    Does it mean that I cannot download XF addons here anymore?

19. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Adherent

+203
    I don't do XF add ons but I do appreciate protecting resources, submitted by honest XF add-on devs, from those who may exploit these add-ons when they have no reason to download if they are not using the XF platform.
    Perhaps if VB devs were more concerned about their add-ons being exploited by non VB owners all they would have to do is ask TAZ to set up the same protection system for them?
    It also protects TAZ members from non XF validated owners uploading questionable add-ons.

20. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,191
    Before the validation option there were really no XF resources here.

There were basically no vBulletin resources here until vB.org had it’s issues removing the many staff members that made that place possible.
    No, currently the validation is done once but that could change in the future.

If other software devs gave the option to check licensing we probably would but currently only XF has the ability to do it and does it discretely.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.