Feedback XenForo License Validation (Split)

Sheldon

Fan
I'm sure this will start a chain reaction of other users wanting WBB banner, VB banner, IPB banner, phpbb banner, SMF banner, etc....

I like the idea, but soon you are going to have a 13" long postbit.

Sheldon

Fan
We'll be happy to verify them as well if they have an api we can use.

No argument from me, really.

I just know from the crowd here it will be seen as "XF Fanboy" behavior. Those with a license getting a special banner...

Like I said, I have zero issues with it myself.

Maxxamillion

Gaming Geek
No argument from me, really.

I just know from the crowd here it will be seen as "XF Fanboy" behavior. Those with a license getting a special banner...

Like I said, I have zero issues with it myself.

i am an XF FanGirl :p

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
I'm sure this will start a chain reaction of other users wanting WBB banner, VB banner, IPB banner, phpbb banner, SMF banner, etc....
We'll be happy to verify them as well if they have an api we can use.
Nah, we have a plan.... :D
Well, everyone is technically a phpBB licensee or a SMF licensee since they're free. I remember using those.. A very long time ago..

Last edited:

AdamD

Devotee
I agree with Sheldon, the postbit is getting pretty heavy with banners now
I don't think we need banners for license holders, it doesn't really make any sense, the postbit is for displaying information about the users status here, not what software they own.

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
I agree with Sheldon, the postbit is getting pretty heavy with banners now
I don't think we need banners for license holders, it doesn't really make any sense, the postbit is for displaying information about the users status here, not what software they own.
The problem is that it sets a precedent for having banners for just about every software. If any software is left out then, people are bound to cry out censorship or favouritism. They probably could do the groups without the banners?

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
Well what software they own is a stat. IMO it helps identify people when they post in a specific forum.

Lets say someone asks for help in the XF or vB forum, you have no way of knowing if you are helping someone who is running pirated software.

DirtRider

bah humbug
I like seeing the banners and it is not as if it really causes such an issue when members have a load of them

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
I am sure there is some sort of postbit tabs in the works, so everything won't be shown at once.

Sheldon

Fan
Lets say someone asks for help in the XF or vB forum, you have no way of knowing if you are helping someone who is running pirated software.

So then, a VB ribbon, WBB ribbon and IPB one will all be needed. You have no way of knowing if they are running nulled either.

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
Right, the other software companies should do the same thing. I for one as a developer would love it if vB did it. As I make mods for it, and have my own site, I want to be sure the members I am helping have a valid license.

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord

How would you determine a phpBB licensee? Someone who used it once? Recently? Currently?
How would you prove that you've used phpBB? Internet Archive?

I have made many test forums throughout the years.

Sheldon

Fan
How would you determine a phpBB licensee? Someone who used it once? Recently? Currently?
How would you prove that you've used phpBB? Internet Archive?

I have made many test forums throughout the years.

Really?

I kept listing as an example, nothing more. If you are saying there are those that wouldn't want the banner, you are only kidding yourself. I don't have any license, so the banners mean nothing to me.

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
Really?

I kept listing as an example, nothing more. If you are saying there are those that wouldn't want the banner, you are only kidding yourself. I don't any license, so the banners mean nothing to me.
Exactly. And people would be able to rack up a nice big list of banners, as the barrier to entry to free is non-existent and the free people would likely push for it.
As for IPB and WBB, it sounds like it would be difficult to verify it, according to some of the other posts, although I'm sure that there would be people going on about favouritism, if that doesn't happen.

I'm not saying that banners are bad, but it seems like a slippery slope to me.
Honestly, a big list of software banners isn't really a big deal to me. It's just another dozen banners.
Drama is boring though.

AdamD

Devotee
Having or not having a banner, would not affect people offering help.
I've never seen someone ask for help, then people replying asking for proof their forum is licensed, before they're willing to assist.
On my forum, if a user had multiple groups, we opted instead for ribbons, of sorts, so if someone was in an admin group, they would have an admin ribbon next to their name, if they were in additional groups, like people who donate, or VIP's, extra ribbons would go under their name.
adm.gif

Deathstarr

Forum Owner
I think you are taking the license banner alittle far. Its just something to show. Sure you could add in all the free softwares but I think you should only be able to have one in the postbit and list the others in your profile. So its your pick of which one to show. But first there has to be demand for the license banner, then you can pick which one you want to use.

Good?