Feedback XenForo License Validation (Split)

JordanH

Imperial Majesty
I agree with Sheldon, the postbit is getting pretty heavy with banners now
I don't think we need banners for license holders, it doesn't really make any sense, the postbit is for displaying information about the users status here, not what software they own.
Well what software they own is a stat. IMO it helps identify people when they post in a specific forum.

Lets say someone asks for help in the XF or vB forum, you have no way of knowing if you are helping someone who is running pirated software.

A good alternative is to display a "XF License Holder" bit inside messages inside the xenforo sections which can be easily done.
Example:
ai.imgur.com_fL2najh.png

Not saying it has to be like that. As it could have been done a lot better but you get my drift This forum can do the same with a XenForo type thing and only display it in the XenForo Sections on users who havea valid xenforo license. Which can be easily achieved.

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
What about those of us that wrote our own? :p
A "custom" banner? I like the idea of picking one group, having that banner show up and sticking to it.
I don't really think there are that many people around who have a custom software.
And then, there are the people who have a custom software for one specific site where the code-base is closed off like you and software that have very tiny marketshares (ElkArte, Wedge, AtomBB, Misago, etc.).

For free, people should probably pick one banner instead of a dozen. For paid, it might be useful to have multiple to ward off nulled scripts.
Off the top of my head, the paid ones are:
  • vBulletin
  • Vanilla
  • IPB
  • XenForo
  • Woltlab Burning Board
And the free list is much longer and I'll probably miss some but..
  • phpBB
  • MyBB
  • SMF
  • Vanilla (the free version)
  • Discourse
  • NodeBB
  • AtomBB (again)
  • EsoTalk
  • Flarum
  • Wedge
  • ElkArte
  • Misago
  • And many more..
And then, there are the free hosted custom platforms..
  • Proboards
  • Forumotion
  • Facebook Groups
  • Google Groups
  • And many more..

Last edited:

dieKetzer

Adherent
sorry, but i think the postbit is starting to look a bit goofy. ive never liked post counts, karma/rep, and user ribbons cluttering up the page. i think id stuff it all on the membercard overlay and in a profile tab.
i wont likely bother validating either, and im not really the type that likes to police others, so i wont bother taking note of who has been vetted or not.

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
sorry, but i think the postbit is starting to look a bit goofy. ive never liked post counts, karma/rep, and user ribbons cluttering up the page. i think id stuff it all on the membercard overlay and in a profile tab.
i wont likely bother validating either, and im not really the type that likes to police others, so i wont bother taking note of who has been vetted or not.
Some of the banners are fairly useful. It was very hard for me to tell who was an admin and who was a mod before.

The Developer badge for the most part shows representatives from forum software projects and you can quickly get an idea of who is from where, although there are some here and there who aren't.
Active Member tells me whether a specific person can view the chat / hidden areas or not, so I can tell whether to tag them from there or to call them out from the chat. Same with premium, etc.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Good golly Ms Molly ==> User rank overload.:LOL:

I'm sure this will start a chain reaction of other users wanting WBB banner, VB banner, IPB banner, phpbb banner, SMF banner, etc....

I like the idea, but soon you are going to have a 13" long postbit.

No argument from me, really.

I just know from the crowd here it will be seen as "XF Fanboy" behavior. Those with a license getting a special banner...

Like I said, I have zero issues with it myself.

I tend to agree.
The first thought on my mind was, "Well... Can I validate my vB & XF licenses as well?... That 13'' long postbit is calling me name.." :whistle:

What about those of us that wrote our own? :p
taz-developer.png

:p

Nah, we have a plan.... :D
Now I'm curious. What's the plan and when will we see it implemented?
Here's what I'd suggest anyway - Something like this:

taz-postbit.png

On mouseover you could have a Tooltip show what each rank represents.
Easy peasy...

J.

R44

Asperger's Network? Absolutely.
Option to put project name and/or its icon here would be awesome.

Can only agree. The developer rank is sort of a global rank that encompasses plugin devs and us...

Joel R

Habitué
I feel so awkward seeing all of my posts in the IPB section as an XF Licensee!

c5ee58dd7962d26613aa1afb4071e3310aef84f59b2610a84e40ce536f99c70b.jpg

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
Can only agree. The developer rank is sort of a global rank that encompasses plugin devs and us...
I remember reading a post from Morganna that said it covered major plugins rather than every plugin on the face of the Earth.
It's hard to imagine them coming up with dozens of new banners though or to come up with a custom plugin or to mess around with the templates.

Tecca

Fan
But how will ordinary folk be able to tell that a user posing a question, is licensed?

I understood that was the main point of the exercise. Though I stand corrected if not.
I was under the impression that it was for downloading resources, and peace of mind for those that upload them that their stuff is being downloaded by confirmed license holders.

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
And not having the badge is going to change that perception?
Probably not, as people will always find other fuel.
At the end of the day though, it's a badge. It's not a massive loss and it saves everyone wanting badges for x software.

Sheldon

Fan
I want a badge for getting a platinum trophy when I beat Britney's Dance Beat on the PS3.

tomk

Adherent
I want a badge for getting a platinum trophy when I beat Britney's Dance Beat on the PS3.

Sorry Sheldon no can do, if they give you a badge for Britney's Dance Beat game, the ShapeUp Xbox cry-babies will come out of the closet whining why they didn't get their own badge.