Featured Xenforo is offering discount

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Threadloom, Dec 5, 2018.

1. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,863
    Nope you are raised in the northern hemisphere and live there put yourself in the Southern Hemisphere and it will become summer. :)

2. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+548
    That's good they're raising the price, and it's only a very modest amount too. It's still good value.

3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,824
    In reality I believe this discount is a cynical ploy to interfere with the smooth passage of Brexit and further evidence that the world is indeed flat.

Or maybe it's just a discount... o_O

4. Neutral Singh

Neutral Singh SPN Administrator

+18
    And... what were your expectations? :whistle:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  5. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,682
    Pretty sure the summer bit is just a lighthearted joke like what they posted: Black Tuesday Cyber Saturday :D

I mean they haven’t raised the price in 8 years so this is a nice gesture before it goes up.

6. zoldos

zoldos Lord Malleus

+85
    Not much of a discount. :(

7. Neutral Singh

+18
    IMHO, not raising the price in eight years was an invisible discount, this blowout is just an icing on the cake.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+922
    Far higher than what was delivered. But hey, Que Sera Sera - not my beef, not my problem and not my money going into their coffers. It is what it is and I can make my choice and lay my hat wherever I call my home. It really doesn't interest me at all. If people love it, good for them!

;)

9. Neutral Singh

+18
    Care to elaborate! :russ:

10. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+922
    Not really as it would be a pointless exercise, let's just say that their diatribe when 2.0 was released led to expectations of amazing things to come with 2.1, which they haven't, which in itself is no surprise. XF as a forum only software is excellent at what it does, but beyond that it pales in comparison to the competition.

You pays your money and you makes your choice - whatever floats your boat.

;)

11. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,499
    I would be most interesting in what expectations were led to.
    Personally, I find that XF2.1 offers a lot of valuables, while missing important details of those features which would have made it matter as much as I hoped. i.e. API without oAuth. But it also offers some idea of direction.

12. sanction9

sanction9 Enthusiast

+95
    Would have maybe been better (for them) if they could have released 2.1 in conjunction with the sale, for those people who might need to be tempted by both something shiny and new and a sale, but yeah, if you're going to need to renew soon, might as well do it now.

13. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,911
    Does it have now a function to find all soft deleted posts? (Not deleted threads)

14. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+922
    I was never in any doubt that 2.1 would fall flat in fulfilling the areas that most people at the launch of 2.0 were bemoaning about, in how it was lacking new and interesting features and the devs were saying "wait until 2.1" as though something amazing was going to be forthcoming ... so we waited, and zilch. All of those expectations of something great and brilliant that were 'implied' by the rhetoric of the time never came to pass. I could list a whole bunch of expectations, but to what end? Expectation often leads to disappointment and in this instance that is a truism.

If XF floats your boat and tickles you in places that other forum software fails to reach, great, I'm happy for everyone who is happy with XF, but it leaves me cold and I've moved on.

;)

15. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,499
    Solely to appease my curiouscity of course. :)

16. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+88
    The world is flat thing reminded me of this....
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,560
    Whiz-banger features never seen before that nobody has an idea of what they could be..... or simply what some people wanted <stomping of feet heard several times like an angry 5 year old) right now.

You can give up on a 1st party DB (like IPS Pages), a customer portal ( IPS Pages) and a commerce setup (very weak one with IPS) for awhile from XenForo.

18. maksim

maksim Serial Entrepreneur

+138
    So do you actually need to renew XF? Or can't you use it without paying for renewals and only pay for updates?

Gotta give VB some credit... at least you only pay once and cry once... =P And have access to all of the versions.

19. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+548
    You get perpetual access and use of the version of the software up to the point where your licence expired. You only need to renew if you want the latest version after your licence expired.

20. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,095
    As robinhoodrobinhood said, your license is perpetual but there are optional renewal fees if you want access to the updates. If you don't pay the renewal fee and let your renewal date lapse then you still have full access to the support forums and you can still download any version of XF that was released up to the date of your last renewal date. I don't know if it has changed or not but I think if you lapse you also can't submit support tickets; the forums are still available, just not the private ticketing system.

It's not uncommon to see people who lock themselves into an older version of XF (due to custom add-ons or other reasons) and then let their renewals lapse for some time until they are ready to upgrade to a newer version at which time they'll then pay the renewal fee. If you renew before your current date lapses then you pay a cheaper price than if you let it lapse and renew later so there is a slight incentive for doing so, especially if you have multiple licenses.

As for giving vB credit, that stopped for me many years ago around the time they utterly stopped listening to their customers regarding the vB4 rollout. If something drastic happens and I need to switch off of XF then I'd go straight to IPS (who also has a renewal fee structure ;)) and not even give vB a glance. WBB might make me pause to consider it but if lack of time was a concern then it'd be straight to IPS without stopping.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.