Xenforo is faster

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by Krazy12, Feb 14, 2018.

1. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,252
    Was that the same with previous versions (caching guest pages)?

2. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,023
    Ignoring the rest of the sentence: Yes.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,252
    It's something I never noticed even on large active forums including my own. I often used to log out to see how my forums appeared to a guest and if there was a disparity in the response time it was never at all obvious.

4. Shimei

Shimei Fan

+294
    I visited your forum for the first time and it loaded between 3-4 seconds. I am located in California though.

Quite a difference between our forums (I'm using VB 5.4) regarding page size. Also, I noticed you're using Canadian Test Server Region. Any reason for that?

CF.jpg

5. Dubbed Navigator

Dubbed Navigator Adherent

+83
    At the moment they are, look at the ratio of free / paid on XF1 mods - I dont think it would be unreasonable to assume that once developers have a framework for thier mods they can reuse that it will go the same way.

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,252
    As far as I'm aware the test sever location and browser type are automatically selected unless you take out a subscription.

7. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,189
    I dont remember exactly, but some of it has been there since very early versions due to the poor performance.

From memory, I think there is even a special setting for the homepage caching.

8. Banxix

Banxix Enthusiast

+55
    I like the lite / pro model, more resonable for users. Might be easier if you are already using XF 1 or start a new XF 2 forum, but if you want to migrate from other softwares it would not because everything are paid

https://www.wappalyzer.com/technologies There are still more vB than XF. I believe in this stats more than any above.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  9. Cyburbia

Cyburbia Fan

+17
    Old thread, but for me, XenForo 2 is saving my board. VB 4 was slow, and I’d have to regularly clear caches to keep it from slowing down even more. Server loads were consistently above 1.0, even with little traffic. XenForo — pages load nearly instantly, and server loads are almost always far below 1.0. Should have made the move a year ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+907
    GTMetrix locks you to Canada unless you have a subscription.

You can choose your location to get a better idea of page speed if your forum is localised using https://tools.pingdom.com/

I tested a site earlier today and it came in at about 3.5s load time with GTMetrix and a Canadian server, but 0.5s through Pingdom when I chose a London server closer to where the site is hosted

11. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,197
    It is not really that much an issue, even free GTMetrix accounts let you choose a location.

12. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+907
    Ahh, so you can. Last time checked you couldn't. You do need to be a logged in user though.

13. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,197
    Site speed measuring tools can be a two-edged sword. What matters most is not the scores, but rather how quickly the page renders.

I can tell you how many times I've heard "my scores are a D and a C, what do I need to do to fix this?" when their pages render in under a couple of seconds. And often, raising their scores might actually increase page render spends! I try to tell people to pay attention to how quick the pages come up, and not to panic over individual items in a score.

That's not to say some things shouldn't be addressed, but rather spend 20% of your time on the things which take care of 80% of the speed issues, instead of 80% of your time for a 20% (at best) gain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+33
    There are some issues with xenforo though. I often see that xenforo does not post my comment. It often just does nothing when we click on the post reply button.

15. vbgamer45

vbgamer45 Enthusiast

+79

16. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,179
    If that was a XF issue you'd have a bunch of admins complaining, sounds more like a slow server.

17. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,252
    I agree with KevinKevin, that sounds like a server issue or possibly a browser/ad-block issue. I've never seen or heard of the software respond in that way.

18. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,023
    Disable the addons.
    Use the default XF skin.
    Use another browser.

Can you post your comment now?

19. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+33
    No idea if it is slow server. I have noticed that here as well. I have also seen that on many other forums too. Some say it's adblocker issue. Some say browser issue. No idea.

20. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+115
    Xenforo.com seems to use Cloudflare, which means that resources are served from where ever is the nearest data-center to the user, while vBulletin.org seems to serve it directly from the origin server which may be very distant from the user.

Additionally, vBulletin.org is using slow HTTP/1.1 instead of HTTP/2 or HTTP/3.
    Just something to mention. Not an apples to apples comparison.
    Wappalyzer misidentifies many Blackboard / Moodle instances as "MyBB" in it's top sites lists.
    I'm not sure how reliable it really is.
    Any errors in the browser console?

Last edited: May 9, 2019
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.