Xenforo is faster

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by Krazy12, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Krazy12

Krazy12 Enthusiast

+4
    I am really impressed with the performance of the xenforo. It's quite fast and produces quick results. Being an IPB fan, I wish IPB would work this way.

What do you say?
    How is VB5 performance?

2. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+460
  3. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,126
    Poor.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+764
    Xenforo out of the box probably the fastest of the mentioned forum softwares in this thread. Xenforo reminds me of the good old vB 3 days of speed. It's been a real joy squeezing out as much speed out of Xenforo as I can for my Centmin Mod forums which turns 4yrs old in ~3 months !

5. Banxix

Banxix Enthusiast

+54
    These answers are somehow showing hatred toward vB.

Frankly, vB5 before 5.2 was not a stable software, but it has become better and I think it is ready for production right now.
    I do not have chance to benchmark the latest version but it should run fine.

vB still have built-in Social Groups which I see that XF doesn't, vB5 have an ok Site Builder feature which may save you much time in forum frontpage customization.

But again, be careful if you have a large forum.

6. djbaxter

+460
    vB5 is still slooowwwww - a "slug" as I said before. You don't have to be a license owner to see that that, either.

Go to https://vbulletin.com - see for yourself. One should be able to presume that the company site, run by its own coders and support staff, is putting its best foot forward there, showcasing what vB5 can do as it tries to sell more licenses. But it's still a slug.

Compare it with https://vbulletin.org - or https://xenforo.com - or any forum site NOT running vB5. The difference in performance is unmistakable.

7. Banxix

Banxix Enthusiast

+54
    I was a license holder, not anymore. I was aganist vB5 since its first launch because I really feel bad for a good software. However I think we should be honest and give user a fair choice. Some might still love vB5 because of the site builder, simple enough, you can use it without any addons needed.

Yet when I saw XF 2 mods, 80% of them are paid.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  8. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,090
    Just did a compare on GLmetrix. Surprisingly vb5 (5.4.0 in particular) didnt perform noticeably worse.

The result regarding performance and recommendations was unexpected, but I presume everyone would agree a reason XF is appreciated is a lower footprint and ressource consumption on shared hosting, and higher consumer trust (in KMA, low count of outstanding bug reports).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Banxix

Banxix Enthusiast

+54
    We could just exclude vB3 because it is old and does not include large javascript bundle like 3 others.

When I see IPB page size 3.07MB

10. djbaxter

+460
    Weird.

That does not correspond with my user experience for vbulletin.com at all. Moving from one forum to another at vB.com always takes several seconds (very high speed cable internet connection, default browser the latest Firefox). Even posting a simple 3-4 line reply to a thread takes several seconds. Starting a new thread is even slower.

I would think vBulletin would want to showcase the best features of their latest version. Maybe it's the configuration of their server? That site is a definite slug and I think most people would assume (as I did) that it's vB5 causing the problem, especially since vB.org is on the same server.

11. Banxix

Banxix Enthusiast

+54
    Actually on my machine it is as fast as other forums around.

12. LeadCrow

+2,090
    vbulletin.com is actually running Magento, so results are not indicative of vb.com's forum performance.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  13. djbaxter

+460
    Really? Now why would a company selling forum software not use their own software on the site dedicated to that software?

14. djbaxter

+460
    Where did you get this from?

When I view vbulletin.com I see this at the bottom (footer) right:

15. LeadCrow

+2,090
    vBS doesnt sell or run a commerce-focused solution.
    I dont remember when they switched to Magento, but it made some sense at the time to split the storefront from the forum since it still had a lot of issues (downtimes, slowdowns, heavy server load and general lag).

Nowadays it'd be infinitely easier to replace Magento with inhouse code, but I presume they're shy of trying that after the security breaches vb.com got hit with. Either way, the storefront could use a refresh, its look didnt change for years and feels dated now.

View html source, search for magento.

16. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,971
    That is for https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/

17. Banxix

Banxix Enthusiast

+54
    It's just the selling front page using magento, which is fair.

Metric results are pointed to the forum directory, not /home.

18. djbaxter

+460
  19. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,003
    The current version of vBulletin (5.4.0) is somewhat faster than it was at launch if viewed as a guest but it slows considerably once you log in and it's still totally unsuitable for a forum with a lot of content or if there's any real degree of activity i.e. http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/

hc_vB.jpg

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  20. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,126
    vB5 will perform reasonably to guests because it caches the guest pages - not the same as if you are a user.

The sales and marketing pages on vbulletin.com use Magento, and have done since 2012 (I put that system live)

The forum always runs the latest vB5 version.

• Informative! Informative! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.