XenForo 3rd Party Resources

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by The Sandman, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Enthusiast

+174
    Given the level of concern over the quality of some XF add ons, how many knowledgeable, qualified XF coders would be interested in providing their time as volunteers to vet XF add ons?

2. HWS

HWS TAZ Member

+134
    Most XenForo sites are small and very small sites where every hack would run, no matter how badly it is coded. This is why badly coded add-ons exist and sometimes even have good ratings.

If you happen to be an admin of a large XenForo board it is your responsibility to check each and every add-on you install yourself (or have a coder check it) and do a load test with it. This is what we do. In former days we even posted the result of our tests on the resource pages at Xenforo.com but that was not well received very often. So we stopped doing this.

If I were XenForo I would create an Apple App Store like environment for XF add-ons. Would make add-ons more expensive for sure but also much more secure. The App Store is a major advantage for Apple vs. Android.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. radu81

radu81 Fan

+183
    As if they're cheap now :)

4. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,261
    It is really a shame that such valuable information about code quality is not available due to adverse responses. How long ago was this?

5. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,597
    I would be interested in that, while i can follow the php to a point i cant see if the code has issues or preformance issues, so i would love to read it. Have you considered posting it on TAZ.

6. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,304
    Maybe as part of the RM -- they could put together a more formal "bug /conflict discovered" feature and a "suggestion/request" feature -- Something where users could report a bug or suggestion, and it could be marked as resolved/unfounded or implemented. This way, you can see reported bugs and the attentiveness of the author to fixing/improving the product.

7. Brad

Brad Charter Member

+1,307
    I'm sad to hear this because in the day such criticism would have been welcomed by most people. Side effect of allowing paid add-ons imo, people get defensive because they think it'll hurt sales. I know I released a lot of bad code in my time and was happy for any pointers I could get. Looking back on my early work I'm amazed most of it even worked.

8. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,261
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  9. LordnMaster

LordnMaster Aspirant

+53
  10. Bionic Rooster

+174
    Any idea how many they have on their staff?

11. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,814
    Not only that, on average how many add-ons are released/updated on a daily basis? For instance on XF.com there were 11 add-ons updated yesterday, 3 already today.

Who is freely going to audit these, and if one does it for free how dependable will they be.

12. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+751
    I reckon it's a bit of a gamble buying add-ons for software that hasn't even reached the RC stage. If XF issued some kind of standards as a guideline, perhaps so many updates would not be necessary unless they are adding features not included in the first release. If they are just code updates then it begs the question why so many?

;)

13. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,814
    The updates are not just XF 2.0 add-ons.

14. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+751
    SteveSteve I know, I was actually referring to all add-ons, perhaps I should have paragraphed the comment.

Without some kind of quality control it begs the question as to the competency of these 3rd party developers. I understand that if something changes in the core code that conflicts with an add-on it needs an update, but unless the add-on is a real hefty piece of code why do we need so many updates? If you know your trade (in this instance a PHP developer) then you should know whether something is going to play nice and cooperate with the base code it is being added to. Perhaps some more quality testing before unleashing it would help; and, this is another bugbear, developers charging for Beta releases - what the hell is that all about? If it's a Beta then it's incomplete or not fully tested, it should be free (so others can be guinea pigs if they do not fear to tread) and then charged when it is final, or at minimum RC. There is no way I would pay for something that was in Beta!

;)

15. Bionic Rooster

+174
    Go to the source

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  16. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,300
  17. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,261
    That discussion is going pretty fast and getting a lot of different views. I do hope that more people, both webmasters and developer, let their opinion heard, because I believe any improvement would be nice.

18. The Sandman

+5,300
    It really took off in the past day after a slow start.

19. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,814
    Has anyone thought about the effects of implementing a code quality checking system? Surely you can't just expect XF to throw this in and not be compensated in some form or another whether it be via a price increase for licenses or charge a fee per sale of a (paid) resource. I just think people are asking for a monumental task when time can be spent on development. How many incidents has there been in 7 years? How many horribly coded add-ons have there been taken down from XFRM?

At this stage I think it is a wasted effort, if you question the quality of something have it audited then report it to XF privately or take it up with the author privately to hopefully get the issue resolved. Doing it in reviews is nothing but a witch hunt and will only again take time away from the XF devs to deal with it publicly.

20. The Sandman

+5,300
    Better quality code?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.