XenForo 2.2 and beyond

XenForo 2.2 HYS series will start from...

• August

• September

• October

• November

• December

• January 2020

• February 2020

• March 2020

• April 2020

• May 2020

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alpha1

Administrator
I extended the poll options to cover the 2020 months.

It should be extended to December 2021 for 2.2 to come anywhere close to where 1.5.24 finished off with all the bug fixes required that will result in the new coding. Just look at how long it has taken to get to 2.1.5. If history is any indicator (look at your customer account) we are a long way from getting to a 2.2 functional without a lot of problems injected.

sbjsbj

Fan
Also no more 1.x versions to support anymore as it is eol. So technically they should have now more time than before aswell.

Time line from https://xenforo.com/community/forums/announcements/
1.0.0 released Mar 8, 2011
2 years later 1.2.0 RC released Jul 16,2013
---------------------------------------------------------
2.0.0 Beta was released Sept 5, 2017
2.1.0 was released Jan 30, 2019
10 months later we're are at 2.1.5
---------------------------------------------------------
I don't have access to the 1 series bug reports but since the release of 2.0.0 there have been 9771 resolved bug reports with 79 out standing reported bug reports, not counting those listed in Future-Fix Bug Reports.
Given that productivity relies on 1) development 2) on board bug testing 3) beta release and bug testing by paid users and the time line that these bugs are found and identified, and fixed, I'm not expecting 2.2 any time soon. Will customer demands result in a premature release of 2.2? Time will tell but my guess, based on passed history, is that developers will not bow to demands and will continue to do what they do best.

Chris D

XenForo Developer
I don't have access to the 1 series bug reports but since the release of 2.0.0 there have been 9771 resolved bug reports
This is incorrect.

The "Resolved bug reports" forum includes all bug reports we've ever closed since before the release of XF 1.0.

I don't have access to the 1 series bug reports but since the release of 2.0.0 there have been 9771 resolved bug reports

The "Resolved bug reports" forum includes all bug reports we've ever closed since before the release of XF 1.0.
I stand corrected, the 9771 resolved bug reports do include those of XF 1.0 dated from July 28, 2010

Edit from Sept 11, 2017 release of 2.0.0 beta there have been 3187 resolved bug reports

Last edited:

zappaDPJ

Rightly or wrongly I've always felt it's the number of outstanding bugs that provides the best indication of how good the developers are at keeping on top of things. Xenforo's numbers are always extreamly low which inspires confidence.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
Rightly or wrongly I've always felt it's the number of outstanding bugs that provides the best indication of how good the developers are at keeping on top of things. Xenforo's numbers are always extreamly low which inspires confidence.

People will always whinge, i'm one of them.

To me, I'm keen on a product that works, (well) then constantly ramming new features in.

Sure it would be nice to see more, who doesn't? I have always thought 3 developers is a bit light for a project like that, but then you would inevitably see the price increase. My preference is to see a solid core, then have decent 3rd party dev's developing the additional features I want to use. Andy is a prime example, I use a large selection of his addons, for $35 its a bargain.

haqzore

Devotee
I have always thought 3 developers is a bit light for a project like that, but then you would inevitably see the price increase.
This may be true to a point, but it's stretched & used far more as an excuse for XF than a valid reason.

Invision Community's team appears much larger than XF's. Yes, their product is more expensive, but I (and others) think they bring great value for the $.

And look at Woltlab. Core/Forum/Gallery/Blog/Filebase/Calendar - and you can still snag a base forum for $70 less than XF. Media Gallery for $15 less. etc etc

Can we still blame "needing more people" and "not wanting to raise costs"?

There's nothing wrong with XF not wanting to do more - but lets call it what it is & stop giving excuses based on inaccurate assumptions.

My preference is to see a solid core, then have decent 3rd party dev's developing the additional features I want to use. Andy is a prime example, I use a large selection of his addons, for $35 its a bargain.
I prefer the opposite, and have said so many times here on TAZ.

Defined upfront cost far outweighs the complete unknown costs of 3rd party devs. You just never know when they'll disappear, stop updating, leave you stuck on XF1.x because they haven't updated to 2.x... etc etc etc.

There are some diamonds in the rough, but even the diamonds have flaws. Andy's a good example. Phenomenal value, but no shortage of coding issues. Weigh those issues however you want (I'm not savvy enough to have an opinion) - it doesn't change the fact that there are no such issues with the 1st party addons.

Last edited:

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
This may be true to a point, but it's stretched & used far more as an excuse for XF than a valid reason.

Invision Community's team appears much larger than XF's. Yes, their product is more expensive, but I (and others) think they bring great value for the $.

And look at Woltlab. Core/Forum/Gallery/Blog/Filebase/Calendar - and you can still snag a base forum for $70 less than XF. Media Gallery for $15 less. etc etc

Can we still blame "needing more people" and "not wanting to raise costs"?

There's nothing wrong with XF not wanting to do more - but lets call it what it is & stop giving excuses based on inaccurate assumptions.

I prefer the opposite, and have said so many times here on TAZ.

Defined upfront cost far outweighs the complete unknown costs of 3rd party devs. You just never know when they'll disappear, stop updating, leave you stuck waiting on XF1.x because they haven't updated to 2.x... etc etc etc.

There are some diamonds in the rough, but even the diamonds have flaws. Andy's a good example. Phenomenal value, but no shortage of coding issues. Weigh those issues however you want (I'm not savvy enough to have an opinion) - it doesn't change the fact that there are no such issues with the 1st party addons.

Yup. Cant really fault that.
It's when you completely rely on the 3rd party stuff you have a real problem. I like a lot of andys addons for their administrative uses, but I could drop them if needed. The actual quality of some things on IPS are better in the core package than XF. Statistics and exporting abilities for example.

haqzore

Devotee
They have the talent - that's indisputable.

So it's either resources or desire.

They could've hired the resources if they wanted. Yea, there's cost, which brings us to desire.
I don't think expanding the core is something they want to do.

If they do want to do more, they've moved at a snails pace. Gallery was added... 5 years ago?

cheat_master30

Fanatic
As in, one which adds more than a few bug fixes and stability updates?

Because at the moment, I'm not sure why I'd ever want to renew any of my current licenses. Yeah they'd let me get a slightly updated version of the software that corrects a few bugs here and there, but the users wouldn't see a single benefit from it. Is 'slightly less likely to explode now; really enough to warrant $80 a year or what not?

I doubt it, and I suspect most others here are the same.

So when will the next interesting XenForo update get released? One with some revolutionary new features, or perhaps a few new official add ons to use or what not?

sbjsbj

Fan
If you haven't grasped it already: XF releases every 6-8 weeks or so minor versions of its software.
In those versions bugs are fixed.

The "interesting" part happens once a year only.

Last interesting updates:

10/2018 - XF 2.1
09/2017 - XF 2.0
06/2015 - XF 1.5
07/2014 - XF 1.4
12/2013 - XF 1.3
03/2013 - XF 1.2

So roughly once a year, with 2.0 taking up 2 years to be released.

So, seeing that the last feature updates were in October and September, and since already 1 year past, we are soon about to see a new major update.
I voted for December.

Maybe it takes longer this time, only those 3 developers know.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
You can go without renewing Xenforo for a long time the only benefit you have is bug fixes. Also most do not upgrade to new version asap they need to wait for add-ons. So if you can wait 3 to 4 months you can save 1 year renewal after 3 to 4 years. Because the only benefit is bug fixes.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
And ticketed support.

Yes but even that is it worth having an active license, if needed that you can’t get an answer on your question you can always renew the license. Its maybe important for first time users or second year but after that. If you’ll need to ask one question its exspensive to say the least for Xenforo, gallery and resource manager its 85 dollat excluding VAT so for me it comes to 102,85 dollars. It then boils down how important the question is, if you know its an interaction between an add-on and Xenforo they can’t help you if its an error in a custom style well you’ll need the style developer. So we have with active license ticket support and bug fixes if you play smart you can wait and save lots of cash over the years.