XenForo 2.2 and beyond

XenForo 2.2 HYS series will start from...

• August

• September

• October

• November

• December

• January 2020

• February 2020

• March 2020

• April 2020

• May 2020

Results are only viewable after voting.

R0binHood

Habitué
Twitter most likely has a system in place where they can send a verification text to mobiles. This must have a cost implication and would be prohibitive to a lot of forums.
That's actually very cheap these days thanks to services like Twilio. The problem with phone number only is that it limits update and rengagement opportunity as you don't get the users emails for thread replies/conversation notifications etc.

It could only potentially work if there's a native app with push notifications enabled, but that's still no where to be seen. Otherwise for some sites only getting a users phone number would nuke their possible engament opporutnities for no real reason.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
That's actually very cheap these days thanks to services like Twilio. The problem with phone number only is that it limits update and rengagement opportunity as you don't get the users emails for thread replies/conversation notifications etc.

It could only potentially work if there's a native app with push notifications enabled, but that's still no where to be seen. Otherwise for some sites only getting a users phone number would nuke their possible engament opporutnities for no real reason.
Fair play, but you also hit it bang on the head with your other point. User engagement is difficult enough without giving them another way not to.
Expanding options to enable easier registration should never hinder a forum's opportunities in that way.

Another big feature I think could be useful: on-the-fly translation of posts, maybe similar to how it's done on Facebook and Twitter. (Not easy, I can imagine!)

Also, while on the topic of languages, XF generally needs better multi-language support. Consider e.g. suggestions by Alfa1 for Language Nodes and Automatically set language according to setting in browser.
I like the idea of auto language setting according to browser, although that could prove problematic if a VPN is used.

pierce

Habitué
dealing with peoples numbers is a mine field, GDPR, a lack of trust etc.

sbjsbj

Fan
We saw a glimpse of Mike and Kier for a few days. I think they are on the verge of releasing the beta for 2.2 soon.

I wish the senior devs wouldn't disappear for a whole year and come out once a year. I guess at this point they are settled in new jobs and treat XF as a passive income leaving Chris to do everything on his own (except for the (bi)yearly underwhelming feature updates) (ok, to be fair the 2.1 was good).

sbjsbj

Fan
What new jobs might that be?
I don't know, I am speculating. Fact is that they are not active in the official forums publicly for years now. And if I had to guess why that might be, then I would say becase they have no time. And why wouldn't they have time? My best guess would be because they have other jobs. Since they are accomplished devs with a name, they shouldn't have a problem to find a good paying job and do XF on the side. But I don''t care actually. For all I know they can be in Hawaii right now drinking their alcoholic beverages and tanning all day long. I just miss the old days when they were active. Why they are away, I don't care actually.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
Christ Chris D must be superman to iron out all the bugs and develop XF 2.2 whislt kier and Mike are out making their millions.

sbjsbj

Fan
Lol obviously you do or you wouldn’t mention it nearly every time the subject comes around that the devs aren’t active on the forums.
I think you misunderstood. Read carefully again. I said I dont care WHY they are away. But I care THAT they are away of course.

So for whatever reason they are away. I dont care what these reasons might be. I just care if they are there or not and they are not there anymore. And I will not hesitate to express this as long as they are coasting like this. Wish I didnt have to.

Chris D

XenForo Developer
Oh, good. This conspiracy theory again.

Kier, Mike and I are full-time developers of XenForo and we are working on a number of projects together. As I type this, I'm in a conference call with them who are, incidentally, currently in a conference room together which, sadly, I couldn't make because my wife recently gave birth to our new daughter.

Us working on XenForo and other things XenForo-related are not contingent on our activity on the forum.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
Oh, good. This conspiracy theory again.

Kier, Mike and I are full-time developers of XenForo and we are working on a number of projects together. As I type this, I'm in a conference call with them who are, incidentally, currently in a conference room together which, sadly, I couldn't make because my wife recently gave birth to our new daughter.

Us working on XenForo and other things XenForo-related are not contingent on our activity on the forum.

So you're actually ironing out bugs and developing XF 2.2, AND dealing with a newborn whilst the other 2 are out on an apparent jolly? ;-)

Congrats BTW.