Featured XenForo 2.1 and beyond

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by The Sandman, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,444
    After PUSH, now tables. its a very good start IMO. Yes, clubs would be a big one.
    I have no valid XF2 upgrade path due to clubs. Unless XF or a new developer releases clubs, XF2 upgrade is not going to happen.

2. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+418
    Agree, could really do with a high quality clubs competitor. I’m not holding my breath for anything big like that as a core product though.

3. sanction9

sanction9 Enthusiast

+68
    I'm not really expecting it, to be perfectly honest, but it would be a nice surprise. And I don't see why it couldn't be core. It's core in IPB, isn't it? Hell, I'd be happy to see even just some improvements with the search, but that will probably never happen because of their addon. But I'll hope for something. Maybe it won't be anything as big as Clubs, but I'm hoping for something with a little "wow" factor, that rises above useful but mostly utilitarian functionality.

4. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,444
    It is not very likely to be in XF2.1 but one can hope for simple groups. Once the core has the basics then addon developers can enhance it.
    After 4 years of 107 social group releases many of which broke the site and introduce dozens of problematic bugs, I am now running somewhat usable but buggy groups. It will take another 4 years and another 100 releases for a XF2 version to get to the same state. I'm not signing up for another round of that nightmare. And I am not deleting hundreds of groups either.

What IPS has done in this regard is very smart: they found a pain point of XenForo admins and released a beautiful solution.

5. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+418
    Yes, but they’re a much larger company. XF is still only 3 devs.

I guess we’ll have to wait until after all the have you seens have been announced to see what progress has been like since 2.0 to see if they’ll go a bit bigger with any more 1st party add ons.

6. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+418
    I don’t know if ‘simple groups’ would be enough. I don’t want a half baked attempt at it. There’s been features in the past which I feel aren’t quite what they could be, which is a shame.

The global post new thread feature for instance, introduced in 2.0. It’s a great idea, but needs improvement because as it stands if you’re in a forum with loads of subforums a you just get a massive list to scroll through without any way to type and refine the list to find the forum you want to select. It’s feels like a pretty basic implementation that could easily be refined and improved to make it more more user friendly.

Anyway, I’ll try to refrain from complaining any more. Will have to see what else they’ve stored up for 2.1. I’m sure there will be plenty of other juicy improvements to come. It’s a good start.

7. sanction9

sanction9 Enthusiast

+68
    Heh, even just something like the ability for users to do forum wide prefix searches and sorting would be a really cool addition - something that would get a lot of use by my own users. But that's yet another thing you have to currently pay to get with an addon. (Not that I begrudge addon developers needing to make money, but $30+ dollars for this and $30+ dollars for that - and add on a dozen more $30+ addons and styles, most requiring a yearly renewal - and it starts to really add up.)

But anyway, like you, I'm gonna stop my bitching now. No sense in assuming the worst. The changes announced so far are good ones, and I'll just hope for some more, and even better ones, next week.

8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,758
    You’ll need to look at the code they maintain or write IPS is much larger then XF in code so they need more coders. Also there business structure is different.

9. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,444
    Simple clubs may not be enough to cater to the needs to sites that are used to advanced clubs, but then at least XenForo has solid groups functionality especially in regards to permissions, coding approach and bugs/stability. As those are the main area's where I find structural problems with the available solutions. And with many previous XF social groups addons.

I believe that once the basics are done right, addon developers will be able to extend it without breaking our sites. And then addon developers will also have reason to integrate their content types with clubs.

10. Karll

Karll Adherent

+123
    It appears they are implementing features from the top of the most 'liked' customer suggestions, and that this is more or less their "roadmap".

The most 'liked' remaining customer suggestion now, after they implemented push notifications, is the RESTful API. Which could pave the way for 3rd party mobile apps. Not feeling confident that the API will be part of 2.1, though ...

Looking into my crystal ball, I'm guessing 2.1 will have self-delete (for GDPR reasons) and similar threads features. And lots of other smaller stuff.

11. Karll

Karll Adherent

+123
  12. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,736
    There's a lot there that I like and hints of things to come that I like even more.

13. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer

+1,562
    Hints? I have no idea what you're talking about ;)

14. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,758
    To bad we can’t torture ehhh convince it out of you what is to come.

15. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,539
    Yep, but I don't think it came into being until the 4.3 version was released....

16. Tracy Perry

+3,539
    From what I understand, they make a noticeable portion of income on their hosted solution. That in itself is a major difference between IPS and XF and results in IPS requiring more staff on hand.

17. Tracy Perry

+3,539
    If bringing a Clubs into the core, they also need to bring in the associated Calendar function that many clubs depend upon.

18. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,758
    Yes IPS what i understand sell lots of hosted solutions. But look at it in means of lines to code to people they have.

19. Tracy Perry

+3,539
    Yeah, but my point was that the standalone is just really more of a sideline for them. They push the hosted solution heavily. If XF did similar I'm sure that they could also afford more developers since they would have an additional route for income to flow in.
    I know several times I've read people asking if XF provided a hosted solution themselves.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018 at 7:09 PM
  20. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook IPS Developer

+651
    Clubs and reactions were 4.2 features.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.