XenForo 2.1 and beyond

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by The Sandman, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,237
    Seems you are choosing to skip the last sentence in that screenshot.

2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,594
    It's referred to as selective quoting/reading/understanding.

3. Mouth

Mouth Enthusiast

+108
    :rolleyes: Pedants.
    What I quoted was aligned with the majority emphasis being made. Even "fresh outlook" emphasised being part of the "fresh outlook on forum software"
    Add the phrase "forum software" if you like, it's still 1/6th, less than 20% of what XF themselves emphasise on the front page about their solution.
    Easy to tell when posters no longer add any value to a discussion, they just make petty snipes.

4. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,237
    Yep, it's pretty easy to tell when people are talking BS because instead of dealing with facts they like to try the "Watch the left hand, ignore the right hand!" method of getting out of the hole they dug for themselves. XF staff has never tried to market that XF is more than just a "forum platform".

In regards to your math, the emphasis they give is in context to "forum software" so do you know what the percentage is that anything on that page supports your notion that XF themselves has done anything to promote XF as "more than just a 'forum platform'"? Yep, that's right. 0%. Now that obviously doesn't fit your narrative you're trying to weave but don't let that stop you from spewing more tales, after all a healthy imagination is good for the mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Mouth

Mouth Enthusiast

+108
    ZZzzzzzzzz
    Oh look, there's an official media gallery and an official resources manager.
    Denial .... it's a river in Egypt.

6. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+604
    Neither of these is available standalone and as such are there to supplement the forum experience for certain types of communities.

7. zoldos

zoldos Lord Malleus

+92
    I'm very excited about XF 2.0 and am already saving for a new license. Not sure about 2.1, but we'll see what happens! :D

8. Karll

Karll Adherent

+174
    I too am very excited about XF2 and beyond, and the prospects that it brings. However, I agree with those who argue that there is a desperate need for more innovation, and that more features (like Reactions, featured threads, integration with Wordpress and other CMSes, ...) need to become part of the core, or in the very least need to become fully supported official add-ons.

My personal hobby horse is that Internet forums need to become connected (to each other). There needs to be channels of communication between boards. That way forums with their inhabitants don't have to be completely isolated islands in the great big Internet ocean. Maybe this is more important for smaller forums, but let's face it, the vast majority of forums are small! This way we can pool our forces and the many small forums can compete (maybe outcompete!) the social media beasts. (I've written about this before, though the concept and exact details need to be hammered out further.)

9. ab7fh

ab7fh Enthusiast

+52
    You are 100% correct. I find it disappointing that the core of 2.0 has not been more innovative.

10. Pete

+604
    More innovative? Like what?

11. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
  12. Pete

+604
    There isn't anything groundbreaking in 1.x. Every improvement was already out there in some form. XF did do it well, though. So again, what's innovative?

13. sanction9

sanction9 Enthusiast

+124
    That's what you call advertising/marketing. What's their sales-pitch supposed to be? "We're just a forum software, so don't expect too much."? But community, social, engaging... sounds pretty much like a forum to me:
    • n.
      The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
    • n.
      A public meeting place for open discussion.
    • n.
      A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.
    So yeah, it's supposed to be social, a place for discussion, and it seems fairly intuitive to me personally, but that still doesn't mean it's necessarily supposed to be what most think of today when someone says a "social media platform" - i.e Facebook. If and when XF ever morphs into something along the lines of a "build your own Facebook" type of software - which is what some people in this thread seem to be asking for, in essence - then I imagine they will no longer advertise themselves as a forum software, because they wouldn't want people thinking they were "just" a forum software. That was really my only point in my original comment. I'm just saying if people want all that stuff, then maybe don't wait for XF to get around to it, if they ever do - they might want to think of buying something different, although they should be prepared for the possibility that it will cost them a lot more. Anyway, all that said, I expect to see some good stuff from the XF team in the year to come.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  14. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+434
    If they have to "take time away from development" to create such a document, that should be a serious red flag. Such a document should already exist and be guiding their development.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Pete

+604
    There is a huge difference between a road map suitable for internal use, and one suitable for being published to everyone else.

16. Igneous

Igneous Participant

+15
    XF2 should be good fun, I'm just concerned about how much it'll cost to get addons developed!

17. sanction9

sanction9 Enthusiast

+124
    Here's to hoping we'll get an announcement about 2.1 very soon after the New Year! :thumb:

18. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    You are more likely to hear something about 2.0.1 instead of 2.1.<anything>

19. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,127
    Very true because they did that last week.

20. Tracy Perry

+3,594
    I really don't keep up with the release versions any longer since I don't have an active XF site (IPS only). ;)
    But the point I was working on getting across is that there is more likely to be many 3rd point releases before you hear anything about the 2.1 line.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.