XenForo 2.1 and beyond

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by The Sandman, Oct 12, 2017.

1. southernlady

southernlady Coder/Designer

+181
    I'm not in favor of them either. But then again, not only is it on IPS, it's on FB. It still seems where FB goes, forum software follows.

2. Destroy Repeat

Destroy Repeat DestroyRepeat.com

+85
    Wow. I've been using Windows 10 since it went live, and I didn't even know this existed. I hope this comes into the core XF2 installation in the future. Windows 10 has a large enough install base. I have Galaxy S9, and I doubt that the way you use your (pictured) apps will be considered a viable thing once everything is said and done. Let me put it this way: The next big thing is going to be foldable phones. One startup is already doing it, and Samsung just announced their version of this "foldable phone." So, apps buttons will continue to be a thing for a while.

tablets and normal phones will have a place in the market, but will be drown out by this foldable phone, because it will eliminate the need for both normal phones or tablets. Normal phones and Tablets will go down in price in exchange for this hot new trend.

3. southernlady

+181
    A foldable phone...called a flip phone, :)

4. Destroy Repeat

Destroy Repeat DestroyRepeat.com

+85
    No. FOLDABLE Phones. Flip phones are so 1990's.

Here:

5. southernlady

+181
    I was just picking on you. I've seen the article. Not sure I like the idea. But I wouldn't know until I could try it.

6. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,990
    I don't like it at all.
    I need a phone and/or a tablet.

Not going to happen.
    Phones are thin enough to carry them in my pocket.

7. southernlady

+181
    By the time I add a cover, mine are no longer fitting in a pocket. But I make my phone cover do double duty...protection and use as a wallet.

8. sanction9

sanction9 Enthusiast

+105
    I'm still waiting to simply be able to have multiple pages of New Threads.... :morganna:

9. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+765
    Yeah PWA in action for adding as native Windows 10 app after a few browsing sessions on the forums Chrome will give you an install option menu

cmm-forum-pwa-install-01.png

clicking it

cmm-forum-pwa-install-02.png

Windows 10 start menu recently added app

cmm-forum-pwa-install-03.png

Clicking app reveals

cmm-forum-pwa-install-04.png

XF 2.1 with PWA support would be nice to see :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  10. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,152
    eva2000eva2000 Some interesting reading in that thread, thanks for updating it as you go. Just one question regarding caching... the pre-fetching of assets is obviously one benefit of the PWA but on the topic of caching CSS/JS files, isn't the way you describe it of checking whether a local version exists first before fetching a copy from the server the same as what a normal browser session does?

11. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+765
    Different browser cached used for service workers and PWA versus what folks normally refer to browser caching. Service workers/PWA can have finer grain control of what is cached and for how long and is not purged when folks do the normal browser cache clearing. Key is service worker cache storage is accessible from browser even when network connection is offline if configured by service worker to do so. So offline mode. While normal regular browser cache isn't accessible when offline network wise.

some explanation at https://enux.pl/article/en/2018-05-05/pwa-and-http-caching

i.e. cmm-pwa-cache-size-081118.png

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    • List
  12. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,152
    Ah, the PWA uses local storage cache instead of a session lifespan cache.

Now we just have to convince you to package up your implementation to release as an XF addon. :D

13. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+765
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,063
    It seems to me that in 2.1 people got a lot of what they wanted. They got what they voted for so perhaps those that were expecting the moon on a stick didn't put it forward as a popular suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+765
    sometimes folks don't know what they want until they see it :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  16. Somniloquent

Somniloquent Enthusiast

+113
    It's like that old quote attributed to Henry Ford: “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

It's really great that the XF team crossed off some big items that people have been wanting for a long time. I think that was the best approach for this update. But what about 2.2? If all they ever do is work through the list of suggested features, they will be playing an endless game of catch-up. Some have the most votes simply because they've had the most time since 2010 when the suggestions forum opened.

It's not all about 'customers demand such-and-such, give them that and they will rejoice.' It never works that way. Personally, I'm not looking for any specific feature, but rather a vision for the future of community platforms. I want to see XF position themselves in their market and take the lead in providing the best experience for community interaction. Maybe they'll do this through big features like IPS, or maybe through cross-promoted integrations with other platforms, or through reimagining the forum experience and presenting us with a more modern, distinctive approach. The direction they take is up to them.

What I can say is that if we're a few years down the road and they're still giving us modest iterative updates, I'll be moving on. Because I don't need a faster horse – I need a rocketship.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,020
    But Ford was good when he started his company later on other companies overtoke Ford because he could not see people wanted new stuff. Later his son and another person made a different car that was par with other companies.

• List
  18. we_are_borg

+2,020
    Thats an issue we have at this time FB or SM makes something new and others follow, they do not think to make new stuff on their own. Look at multiple languages support yes the UI translates very good. But content not so good they only one that translates this is Woltlab the UI translates and if people type multiple languages it shows. After all this time XF and IPS do not have this function for IPS it makes more sense then XF but XF need to think ecosystems of add-ons that can use this.

19. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,578
    Actually, we all do. But..

What we need:
    gallery-1467039028-star-trek-biggun.jpg
    Manpower needed:
    portátil-del-ord.jpg

Available manpower:
    3 developers.
    https://xenforo.com/community/members/?key=staff_members

XenForo LTD needs to start hiring its first truckload of developers.

20. we_are_borg

+2,020
    Chicken and egg problem do they have cash flow to pay them for 12 months untill there done making features x y z. If not they need to make features x y z so they sell more and can get developers in. Its all related to money even if you know how much your going to sell when you make something new you need to have it up front. You can do as company a crowed funding action, there lots of people that want to see XF be successful so make use of it. You then can develop x y z features you’ll need

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.