Featured XenForo 2.1 and beyond

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by The Sandman, Oct 12, 2017.

1. dethfire

dethfire Habitué

+204
    Agreed, the wordpress plugin alert and auto update is a dream.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Adherent

+127
    It almost happened.

3. Karll

Karll Adherent

+127
    Would have been amazing if they supported managing add-ons from the XFRM as well, but I thought the features they demoed today were still pretty good ...

4. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Adherent

+127
    Yeah, I agree. That is the one of the two criticisms I have. The updates are great, much needed, the vision is great, just they lack 1 level of implementation. But still great.

5. Destroy Repeat

Destroy Repeat DestroyRepeat.com

+53
    Your wish came through. :D

And then Mike CreuzerMike Creuzer made this post:
    Guess how I read this!? ThemeHouse is fixing to be the Wordpress.org of XenForo. That caught my attention right there.

6. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,666
    I think the official RM add-ons should be handled by Core XF ideally. Maybe in a future release :).

7. Mike Creuzer

Mike Creuzer Developer

+152
    Not exactly. I'm fine having other devs work and help, I got it started out of necessity. But yeah of they don't add it I think the third party community will be able to follow that gap.

8. maszd

maszd Aspirant

+15
    looks like xF process upgrade to 2.1 :)

2018-11-08_175948.png

9. Destroy Repeat

Destroy Repeat DestroyRepeat.com

+53
    It did. It did!

The HYS feature list today was cool. :) So, now we know a few features that would require PHP7. My issue is with XF's love for circular avatars. Hey, what's wrong with boxed avatars!? I like boxy things, ya know!?

I also don't like the "unsubscribe" designation in there. Hopefully that area is completely different from the current 2.0 secure e-mail option, the bounce email handler. I don't want my users to be having the habit of hitting "unsubscribe." Please keep this separate from everything else! (*tilts head backwards, facepalms* Oh my god.... I really, really hate GDPR. I really am annoyed by the GDPR bull****.)

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to downloading the final, stable version of XF2.1.

10. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,895
    You may still have them:

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  11. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+900
    I've deliberately stayed away from this conversation until the final results were in. I must say that, whilst what has been added is good, I am left deflated by the lack of inspirational features. There is nothing out of the ordinary to talk about, what's been added is nothing new to the world of forums for the end user. As usual it's the third party developers who are left to be more imaginative and to fill the gaping holes that people would like to see filled by official intervention; that could either be in the form of core features or official addons for those who don't see the need for additional features or functionality.

There's nothing jaw dropping to be seen, nothing that is truly bringing something new to the table that hasn't already been done, either by third parties or in the cores of other forum competitors. When 2 came out there was something of an outcry about the lack of features, an outcry from those that failed to read that feature parity with the 1 versions was all that was being aimed for. It was then said by the developers 'wait for 2.1' for more - well 2.1 is here and I am neither thrilled or excited about what is being delivered. As I said in my opening sentences what's been added is 'good' but these added features are no showstoppers - perhaps we will have to wait for 2.2 for more.

not_sure.png

12. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,800
    Well while there are nice features coming in 2.1 its nothing major lets say new add-on in that case its underwhelming to say the least. I can be mistaken but most features look like it was done on other sites or scripts.

13. Slavik

Slavik Aspirant

+75
    Just wondering what you are would like to see that will leave you jaw dropped or overwhelmed?

Some examples would be nice.

14. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,084
    I don't know about "jaw dropped" or "overwhelmed" but it would've been nice to see PWA support, to see the demo "featured threads" app embraced & brought into the core, to see additional user interaction encouragement (like how IPS is working on guest posting before registration), to see some type of home/portal page (all these years later and nothing still beats, or even comes close to, vBadvanced with its page creation & ajax based widget interface), to see a unification of some type between post attachments and the gallery, to see an add-on (or I daresay core extension) similar to vBDynamics with its "be anything you want it to be" architecture (I think IPS has a DB type product but I'm not familiar with it), to see something to encourage content visibility & discovery by the users, to see... you know what, never mind, I know of course your question was intended as sarcasm but I had my phone handy and had some immediate thoughts, I'll leave it to others to take on the topic as I go back to lurking.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,800
    Lets see what about a group/clubs feature that can be extended by other add-ons. What about XFRM that has a bug tracker in it so people can report issues instead of separate add-on or posting in a discussions. The bug tracker can be done that it track different versions for example there where even more ideas then this. Its not bad what they included in XF2.1 but others all ready had that functions its not like wow its nothing we haven’t seen yet. What i do like is that developers get some love.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+900
    This is a good point to raise - almost all end user updates have been done elsewhere so there is nothing new or original in what has been offered. Again, whilst what they have offered up is good and nice to see in the core, this release has been, for me, more of a damp squib than a stunning firework blast.

Nothing wrong with what's been offered, just very underwhelming; which is a shame as I was anticipating something mouth watering. I guess I should heed my own words in that anticipation often leads to disappointment.

not_sure.png

17. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+729
    Yeah like to see that happen eventually. I'd converted my Xenforo 1.5 forum to semi PWA support with service worker precaching/preroute caching and offline mode and been running it for past 4+ months - still working out the bugs/kinks i.e. conflicts with my OneSignal push notifications etc
    upload_2018-11-10_1-9-9.png

As Windows 10 native app for my forums and site

upload_2018-11-10_1-9-35.png

On Android

upload_2018-11-10_1-10-16.png

Definite measurable benefits in terms of page load speed performance with my PWA conversion even with Cloudflare already in front. But would be nice if Xenforo 2.1 out of the box default PWA support so I don't have to mess around with it - though nice learning experience especially for someone who doesn't know much javascript at all :)

upload_2018-11-10_1-11-24.png

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 10:20 AM
  18. bernard

bernard Enthusiast

+12
    vBadvanced is truly excellent. When I look at forum software possibilities for upgrading my vB 3.8 sites, I haz major sads contemplating the reconstruction of my vBadvanced content without vBadvanced.

19. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,800
    There is no wow factor its playing catch-up and bring it like here is the best thing we have to offer, but realy it been done by others.

20. Karll

Karll Adherent

+127
    Yes, like I've said before, I wish 2.1 had been released a couple of years ago, but it's still a good thing that it's being released at all. The features in 2.1 feel very necessary. I guess you have to learn to walk before you can run.

As for 'wow' features, you have to think big and 'disruptive'! I did make this suggestion a few years ago, but alas it was too revolutionary for its time :)
    https://xenforo.com/community/threads/new-node-type-channel.84810/

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 11:31 AM
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.