XenForo 1.5 is no longer in active development

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by R0binHood, Dec 11, 2018.

1. sdev

sdev Aspirant

+9
    Bad decision. Now we're going to have a huge amount of hacked XF forums in 2020 and beyond. Not to mention the extra work this will bring to some of the forums I run which doesnt have that many visitors (yet). Without no real benefit.

Find no thread in on XF forums to complain about this?

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,279
    I haven't seen one but you could start one :)

I agree it's a decision which doesn't meet my needs but in order to be hacked the software needs a flaw and Xenforo seems to be quite robust in that area. XF 1.5 might remain secure for another five years or it may not. It's the uncertainty that's the issue.

3. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+221
    It might remain secure but I would hope they would still issue patches or the likes if not even after their deadline expires. I suppose this is a common problem for developers though, where to draw the line, especially if you're still developing new products.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,141
    https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-5-end-of-life-schedule.157679/

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  5. Slavik

Slavik Participant

+116
    The days of supporting old software ad-infinitum are quickly disappearing, and rightfully so.

6. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,663
    I hope that if the situation occurs that a significant number of sites are still on xf1 after it no longer gets security/bugfix updates and those webmasters let their license expire, that XF would re-evaluate the situation at that point. But we will see what happens.

7. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,183
    For XF 1.x admins, the day of reckoning has arrived...

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-5-is-no-longer-supported.165946/

8. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Adherent

+274
    I think it is the right decision to do so. Enough time hast past.

9. Karll

Karll Adherent

+155
    The XF devs must be so sick of it by now :) Well, I'm still running 1.5, but I'll probably be upgrading once I have enough time on my hands.

10. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+129
    This is really a flaw in their business model more than anything else, as people are overly reliant on third party add-ons with XenForo. I've been saying this since it first came out.

It is perfectly normal to drop support for old versions of software after a year or so, two is fairly generous and three is edging in on enterprise territory. The longer you hold onto old versions, the harder it is to move, as you have to drag a lot more baggage with you and this can be a problem in the market.

11. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Adherent

+274
    Agreed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.