Would you buy a new phone where you can't take the battery out?

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by Danielx64, Oct 23, 2016.

1. lordi

lordi Adherent

+28
    non removable doesn't mean you cant replace it, ;)
    so yeah if the phone specs is good, I would consider to buy it

2. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
    Point taken :) Would I be ok with Android 6.x? Can a phone be upgraded to Android 7?

Well I used ZTE before and I never been too worried about quality, just that when Samsung made all the headlines - that's what got me a bit wary. In the past I would get my phone with a plan but this time around I would be buying it outright.

3. Jake

Jake Developer

+1,111
    Whether the phone can be upgraded is up to the manufacturer, generally cheaper phones are slower to update

The Samsung thing isn't common, it was one model of phone that had an issue, and even then it was only .004% of the galaxy note 7s that had an issue with their battery so even that wasn't as common as a lot of articles have made it sound

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Adherent

+127
    Honestly - after using phones with removeable batteries and non-removable batteries, I'm not really concerned about taking out the battery in my phone.

5. Leafy

Leafy Aspirant

+3
    No I would always choose one that the battery could be removed. Having had 2 phones that needed their batteries taking out (one to stop it overheating, the other to stop it continually rebooting) it's a useful thing to be able to do very occasionally.

6. Jake

Jake Developer

+1,111
    Were both of those the same phone manufacturer? If that's the case it may be time to rethink phone choices as I've never had issues with any of my phones

7. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+121
    And if your phone locks up, you can removed the battery and pop it back in!

8. Leafy

Leafy Aspirant

+3
    No different manufacturers. The overheating was an older second hand model that was very over-used tbh. The rebooting one was replaced several times and is now *touch wood* behaving nicely....definitely not going near either again when it's time to replace ;)

9. Jake

Jake Developer

+1,111
    I stopped using iPhones after the 4s, I believe. Moving back to an iPhone 7 plus after using an Android phone with 48 hour battery life isn't nearly as bad as I figured it'd be, I get over a full day

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  10. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
    Well still looking and there is this one that is for $200AUD: http://www.htc.com/au/smartphones/htc-desire-530-solid/ - runs Androidâ„¢ 6 but I haven't looked to see if it will get Androidâ„¢ 7 though :) If I do get this one it better last twice as long as the others :)

11. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
    I needed to do that on a much older phone I had - and it was a pain back then.

12. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+67
    I haven't been able to remove the battery on my last few phones I've had. I thought that was pretty much the standard these days.

13. davemacc

davemacc Fan

+389
  14. Hauyser

Hauyser illiterate.

+142
    My last three phones have not had removable batteries.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.