Implemented Would you blog on TAZ?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by The Sandman, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Yes, definitely

2. Might do

3. No, not a chance

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    They will soon appear.
    Those votes cannot be empty promises.

2. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    Any update on the blogging rules? I'd really like to post a segment in regards to the recent events that took place in Charlottesville.
    It could really be an interesting discussion... But only thing is ... Some (including me LOL) may take it as an opportunity to flame their various political indoctrinations and such. But it could be an interesting conversation starter for a bit of 'action' in the TAZ blogs section
    ajpicforum.info_styles_smilies_extra_cheering.gif ajpicforum.info_styles_smilies_extra_bsflag.gif ajpicforum.info_styles_smilies_extra_cheering.gif

I was hoping this would prove to be true...
    But... taz-smilies-sprite.png :yeah: :noppid:

J.

3. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,476
    Obviously, I can't speak for Howard, but personally I would like to see political posts kept well away from TAZ - they're not conducive to a pleasant environment lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Meh Meh x 1
    • List
  4. PoetJC

+5,327
    Welcome to the world... which is obviously not much pleasant environment for everyone...?
    TAZ members are not oblivious of what's going on in the world - why attempt to keep TAZ as an oblivious bubble of pleasantry? I think such a mindset has been to the detriment of TAZ. I mean - we're all grown folks ... Some conversation that desperately needs to be had amongst well-spoken folks on either side of any political spectrum should not be hidden from the world. I say ==> Pull the veil back away from your face. This way we can see, get to know and perhaps respect each other on a different level and *hopefully* in a productive way talk about our various idiosyncrasies; laugh and cry and yell and scream about them in an effort to move beyond.

I know TAZ has tried the Hot Seat ... It got heated. That's what hot seats do. But when you open up a blog section, shutting down certain conversations - inevitably there will be crickets like there are now: no use. Soulwatcher (I think) said that blogs are unnecessary for a forum/website administration forum like TAZ. I tend to agree. But if we're going to implement a blog section - then let's use it what for what actual blogs are to be used for.

J.

Slightly edited for clarity ... I hope LOL...

5. Lisa

+8,476
    TAZ is an admin forum - want to talk politics, go to a political forum :)

6. PoetJC

+5,327
    Completely understood. But...
    Why even have blogs then? It's a ghost town there.
    I'm afraid if it's restricted to only admin topics, as opposed to opening up the conversation to everything, then The Sandman has wasted money and effort in bringing the functionality to TAZ.

J.

7. Lisa

+8,476
    LIke I said, it's my personal opinion - with regards to the politics. As you mentioned, we tried the Hot Seat - I was a big advocate and supporter of doing it - and I openly admit it was a huge mistake, it caused absolute murder and I can't see political blogs going down a different route - too many different opinions, too many nasty comments.

The blogs - well, I was on the fence about that one. I don't particularly think they are going to be a useful addon to TAZ, but at the same time I wasn't adverse to seeing it being tried. Not my site, not my control, I just give my opinion where and when I'm asked (and sometimes when I'm not lol).

8. PoetJC

+5,327
    Ha! The same. And this back-and-forth is a prime example LOL.

I just hate to see the functionality addition wasted, when it could be used to increase member participation not only in the actual blog sections but in the forums as well. I don't know about the HotSeat being a mistake though. Sure there were combative conversations and lots of heated commentary. But at the same time - activity increased in that section, as well as in other sections of TAZ. I think even though members butted heads a bit - that the conversation on the main part remained civil, with the personal slights/attacks only slightly raised bahahaaha. Hmmm... Perhaps on other thoughts you're right? IDK... i remember some ridiculous back-and-forth with Tracy Perry. He obviously embraces a more conservative political philosophy than myself. But we only called each other names on every other page... Yeah.... Maybe you're right. But I don't mind the various heated debates. It's stuff that needs to be talked about. And a blogs functionality is the perfect place for folks to place their own personal observations and own personal opinions on what's going on in their world.

If such permissions are not added - I think it was a trial and error thing that wasted money and time. I don't want to see that happen.
    But at the same time - I think you may be right... IDK... :barefoot:

J.

9. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,127
    Again if you go restrict blog entries it will not work, blogs by nature is open to all. If you look at https://tweakblogs.net/ that is part and featured on https://tweakers.net the site allows everything. Guess what it just works.

10. Lisa

+8,476
    LOL I really loved some of the discussions that went on in the Hot Seat - the problem was it spilled over into other parts of the site and I could see that happening again if blogs were allowed to get political. Of course, I should stress, that when I say I don't think political blogs should be allowed I mean full on specific blog posts solely about politics, not posts that may have a comment in relation to politics within a more defined topic about something else - am I even making sense? :D

So pulling back from that random paragraph that may or may not have made sense - from a staff POV the Hot Seat was a helllish experiment and that's what I see happening with political blog posts :D

11. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    You may include religious blogs as well.

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  12. Lisa

+8,476
    Yes, you're right, they have a tendency to get pretty volatile too! I love debating both those subjects, I just really feel that TAZ isn't the place for it - we have a very very strongly-opinionated memberbase... maybe we should start an offshoot forum LOL

13. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,517
    The blogs were only installed 2 weeks ago, so please give them a chance. We haven't even really begun to promote them yet. As you may have noticed, there are things happening on TAZ on many fronts and we can't concentrate on everything at once. :)

As for off topic blogs - for now they must follow the same guidelines as off-topic posts - no religion, politics, sex oriented, or other such controversial topics will be allowed at this time. Perhaps in future when the blogs are well established we will revisit this question, as there is a difference between blogs, threads, and articles - blogs are clearly "owned" by their authors - articles somewhat less so and threads hardly at all.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  14. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    Please do so!
    I'm itching to prove that my religion beliefs are better than yours.:p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  15. PoetJC

+5,327
    Yup. It makes sense - but I thought I'd stir the pot a bit and see what's cooking.
    Again - I agree - but kinda disagree - but also agree. IDK.. Anyway - chicken & rice on the stove. Time for some food.

Oh good GOD don't get me started....
    A few FB friends and I have been debating/discussion the racial background of who someone called 'white Jesus' - Riveting stuff.
    Conversation went off the rails - but still ... Riveting stuff LOL

Okay.
    Thanks for the clarification and wow. I just spent 20 minutes composing a blog post. WTF?! AND it actually has to do with a forum admin type topic actually. It started as the mere sharing of a poem - but kinda spiralled into 'help me' find inspiration to complete my forum project. So ... If I can spend time writing a bit of admin-themed blog post -- which is not my forte really -- then hopefully others will find time to contribute as well!

No. Mine are better than yours.
    Bahahahaha :p

J.

16. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,517
    So how was it (writing a blog on TAZ)?

17. PoetJC

+5,327
    Great. I like the functionality. Makes it feel like a .... personal safe haven to drop your thoughts in I suppose. Of course ... You want the post to be informative with a bit of personality. It should be about your own perspective as a forum admin, well depending on the topic of course. And I hope I accomplished that. Don't know if many TAZ members are into creative writing and poetry - so IDK if what I really wanted to share (which is my poem LOL) will get any attraction. And that's just my concern. Like we_are_borg said - the restricting of what's allowed in a 'real' blog section won't work. But of course - there are plenty of members who voted yes/maybe in the poll - so maybe there will be a bit of activity there in time.

I think it's great functionality. Very user-friendly and easy to create the blog and make actual posts as opposed to some of the older vBulletin modifications I once used. I like it. Just don't know if there will be much commentary. You like poetry? At least stop by and show some love for my Origami Secret piece :p

J.

18. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,844
    Religion and politics...in general, two subjects that can get very hot very quickly, with many resorting to ad hominem attacks.

Personally, I would enjoy seeing discussions on these subjects by the members of TAZ, because there are a good number of highly intelligent folks here. However, I fully understand any reticence to do so, because it would likely need a good deal of moderation and we don't want grudges to spill over as was mentioned.

I think if we do open up blogs to these topics, there needs to be a clear understanding that while ideas can be debated, there can be no insults or flame wars...something that would likely be hard to control. That said, if we could pull it off, it would add another dimension to the community. :)

19. Craigles700

Craigles700 Enthusiast

+76
    What is the site using for this blog, software wise?

20. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    It is Bob's UBS add-on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.