Would forums users benefit from predictive text and search results?

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by zappaDPJ, Mar 7, 2019.

1. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,229
    A simple question, do you think your users would benefit from editors that embrace predictive text and perhaps even emoticon substitution or do you think things are fine as they are?

What are your thoughts on predictive search functions?

2. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,022
    Search engines like Google can do it easily because they have the space to store thousands, hundreds of thousands of combinations of words.
    They have the processor power to quickly go through on those combinations.
    A forum user would certainly benefit from such search but an AVERAGE forum owner could not afford to provide a proper one.

3. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+1,160
    Of course they would.

What's the harm of convenience?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,186
    Given the number of typos I see in text messages caused by "predictive mode", probably not.

5. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,145
    The most notable uses (auto-completing user names, tags, search query terms) already work with no need for personalization.
    All people need is optional browser-native spellchecking, and this alongside predictive typing is handled by keyboard applications on mobile devices.

6. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+962
    I agree

7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,641
    I still dont understand why this is not in XenForo 'Enhanced Search'.

8. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+247
    LTNS.. :D

No..
    The harm of damaging someone who suffers from dyslexia.
    Trust me, I used to do a similar thing but scrapped it as a result of a person who has dyslexia and found this really annoying.
    No, not a snowflake, or millennial et al, just someone who was exposed as dyslexic through such means.
    Leave it be as is.
    Just my thoughts of course.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  9. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+1,160
    Thats fair.

But that's an exception, not a rule. Predictive text is in many many things,and avoiding it for extremely unique situations is ... Well, avoiding it for extremely unique situations.

10. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,196
    It should be an option but turned off by default. Since it will be doing queries as you type, it could conceivably cause higher loads on low powered VPS setups. But yeah, its something I'd like to see as a feature, my servers are up to the task.

11. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,545
    Oh god no! Just thinking about the predictive text fails I've not spotted and sent makes me cringe lol

12. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,196
    One of the reasons I like using Grammarly since it does a pretty good job at spotting such things.

13. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,545
    I use it too :)

14. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,229
    The reason I asked this question is because I'm seeing a new wave of mobile only users who expect 'basic' functions such as predictive text and search. I'm guessing a lot of them grew up on Facebook and Google but are now looking towards forums for a better level of interaction.

Although I'm not a fan of predictive text if that's what users want, I'd like to give it to them. As far as predictive search is concerned, I can not for the life of me understand why forums don't have it :confused:

15. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+33
    I think predictive text definitely saves a lot of time typing. And also gives us exact pointers based on our search results. I think forum with lot of content definitely benefit from it.

16. Wes of StarArmy

Wes of StarArmy Adherent

+129
    Xenforo already does have predictive text when you're in the admin panel doing a search there (great for finding syle elements), so it's probably possible to implement elsewhere on Xenforo.

17. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,196
    The problem is that the admin panel has a limited set of items to look up, whereas the post database could well be into the millions of posts. On busy boards, this can turn into many queries as the user is typing, and depending on load there may be a noticeable delay as they type. Elastic search could help with that somewhat.

18. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,084
    I think we can benefit from it, but only if it does not autocorrect because that annoying.

19. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+107
    It can be slightly annoying at times, as some sites will try to autocomplete to a term I don't want when I just want to use a shorter phrase literally, it really depends on how it's implemented.
    I would like Grammarly better, if I didn't have to add a special case to my parser to strip the garbage HTML it spews out.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.