Worst way to promote

Discussion in 'Increasing Traffic' started by Shawn G, Feb 8, 2013.

1. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Developer

+27
    Put super illegal stuff on there to attract all the criminals and watch as the FBI seizes your domain and drags you off for a "friendly chat" lol

You might even appear on television in handcuffs, so much free publicity lol

2. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+199
    tattoos.

oh and can you run a site from jail?

3. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Developer

+27
    Digitalpoint did for a bit, if I recall.

4. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,541
    I don’t think so. DigitalpointDigitalpoint?

5. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+1,113
  6. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,541
    I think he had very limited access.

7. Digitalpoint

Digitalpoint Brain

+508
    Lol no access. Digital Point ran fine for 5 months without any admins or anyone that could access servers even if something *did* happen.

It was a good test of the cluster infrastructure I built. Works great... everything is fully redundant/fault tolerant and self healing if anything unexpected does happen. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,049
    Yes but what server do you have and how much fail over. If you have resources it should work.

9. Digitalpoint

Digitalpoint Brain

+508
    Ya, obviously if you are going with no single point of failure you need redundancy. My main cluster is 8 servers, each with 32 Xeon cores, 1TB RAM, 6 drives in a RAID-6 (any 2 can fail without issue) interconnected with 56Gbit Infiniband, all servers are writeable database masters (ElasticSearch and database are accessible to all through localhost). Any 4 servers could have catastrophic failure and end users wouldn’t know anything happened.

Although I had nothing fail {knock on wood} while I was on “vacation”, and only 2 hard drives (out of the 48) have ever failed but wasn’t a biggie with the RAID setup.

One nice thing about the setup is you can take advantage of the redundancy/failover to do things like server software upgrades or even full operating system upgrades. As long as you don’t take down more than 4 servers at once, there’s no end user downtime.

10. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,049
    I am in love with that setup but i cant afford it. I have got two servers at home Xeon core but have no idea how many cores i’ll need to look that up my memorey is not as it should.

11. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+515
    Not being the best in class for your forum's topic
    number one reason why just about any thing will fail
    :)

gogo

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.