Worst way to promote

Discussion in 'Increasing Traffic' started by Shawn G, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Shawn G

Shawn G Tazmanian Addict

+303
    What are the worst ways to promote a forum and why?

2. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,046
    Depends what you mean by worst. Worst way to promote as in least effective, or worst as in 'will be ineffective once you're found out'?

I'd say the least effective way would probably be some form of blackhat seo that gets you chucked out of Google, maybe cloaking and hidden keywords and stuff. Hard to really be popular if your site is banned from search engines.

Xrumer would probably be a bad way to promote as well. Think people hate you for PM spamming? They'll hate you more if you mass auto post spam promoting your site all over the internet including blog comments and forum posts on competitor sites. Nice way to be seen as absolute scum.

And finally (yes, this has been done by the extremely morally bankrupt, and I hated them for it as well), there's always faking illness or death. You want to see how unpopular someone can be? Ask the individual I saw who apparently faked dying of terminal cancer to promote their work. Yeah, that's a sure fire way to end up instantly killing your credibility and have people want you dead.

Guess e-mail spam would be a bad method as well, especially if you started messaging people who didn't ask to be contacted or from a list that you'd bought from some blackhat site that'd hacked some popular service.

3. lurkalot

lurkalot Fan

+44
    What are the worst ways to promote a forum and why?

Not sure, but I think I'm using it. ;D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. lurkalot

lurkalot Fan

+44
    Still using it. doh..

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Gosu

Gosu Aspirant

+26
    Spamming would be the worst way to promote any business or website. It destroys your reputation and its a lazy way of promoting imho. There are better and smarter ways to growth hack your business / website.

6. Dubbed Navigator

Dubbed Navigator Enthusiast

+83
    Spamming, everyone hates spamming.

There's zero point in promoting all the threads posted on your forum - people who arent members will see little point in doing so.

7. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,149
    Modifications that hide the content from visitors and instead trigger pop-ups (or notifications) saying "Join now to read the content".

They piss me right off and certainly dont make me want to join.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. PinoyFused

PinoyFused Aspirant

+2
    By sharing your forum url without description and by sharing it to the wrong target market.

9. Splinter2

Splinter2 Aspirant

+16
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
    This appears to be very true when trying to entice new members and you can invite them to join once, but if they don't sign up, they have their own reasons.
    I find that any further cajoling is counterproductive and usually sounds like begging, scaring them away completely.

10. MyLead

MyLead Aspirant

+3
    In my opinion spamming is the worst way to promote a forum. I don't know anyone who likes spam. Think it is the laziest thing a person could do. It just gives your forum a bad look.

11. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+206
    sPaM links on this forum?

12. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+22
    Blog commenting on off topic blogs or non relevant blog does not work. Also promoting the niche blog on different non niche does not work either. So it all depends on if you are promoting the blog in the right places.

13. bestforums

bestforums Neophyte

+2
    Spam is the worst way.

14. GrrasSolutions

GrrasSolutions Aspirant

+3
    Why you wants to promote a forum through worst way?

According to Google Algorithms, if you use black hat techniques then it will always harmful for your website.

15. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,187
    One of the worse ways to promote is by digging up old forum topics in order to keep pushing your name. No one likes that sort of thing, especially when it's an all too common and completely infective tactic used by Asian and Indian sub-continent firms.

Your history on the Internet shows you've been doing this for years. Your posts are transparent fluff, your profile link does not help your ranking since it's a nofollow link, and if you expect to be taken seriously you'd actually participate here with real knowledge and information which adds to this community rather than what you've been doing.

16. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,942
    Quite old! I was in my 20s and a lot heavier when I originally created this topic on AAF!!! :eek:

17. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+22
    I recently checked out people are sending the links through some mails and asking to click on link to check for more information. I think that's kind of bad way to promote. I mean if I don't know you why send email from some place?

18. Wes of StarArmy

Wes of StarArmy Adherent

+129
    I was trying to think of the worst way I could think of to promote and here's what I came up with:
    • Going to a convention for {your niche} and writing promotional ad content in excrement on the restroom stall walls
    If you thought this was a good idea, seek psychological counseling!

19. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+909
    Worst ways to promote

1. Suicide Pact

20. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+22
    On one of my blog there was this comment in contact form, where woman named alice attached a file of articles on topic vape and asked me to publish them. As if I am going to be wasting my time into this level of spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.