Wordpress & XF

Discussion in 'Wordpress' started by Maxxamillion, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,163
    is it possibly have XF forum topics displayed in a WP homepage? Can you link the content from both ends to each other well?

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Enthusiast

+67
    By forum topics, do you mean the actual discussion threads or the nodes ?

3. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+852
    It is, there are even plugins that integrate WordPress with XenForo in general (like Xenword). However, keep in mind said plugins aren't perfect, and can be rather awkward to set up.

You can also likely display the information without such a plugin and with standard PHP/MySQL code, but someone with more experience can explain how that works.

4. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,163
    the discussions

5. Goodfella

Goodfella Adherent

+216
    So I have been playing with this for some time now. What XenWord allows you to do is take content that is input into WordPress and it moves it to XF. Not the other way around.

Examples:
    WP Post/Page/Comment > XF Thread/Thread/Reply

If you have any specific questions let me know ill be more than happy to answer what I have picked up along the way of working with XenWord.

6. Goodfella

Goodfella Adherent

+216

EDIT: XenWord does have WP Widgets So yes you can take content from XF put it into a widget and display it on the WP end.

7. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,163
    Brilliant, it's something that interests me but just concerns me about how well negative a lot of people are about both WP and the bridge

8. Goodfella

Goodfella Adherent

+216
    Just a heads up that LPHLPH the writer is busy with life and support is not always what some of us would call quick. However, it does what its suppose to do and as far as I can see LPH is always working on improving it.

9. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Enthusiast

+67
    Wonder if RSS feeds would work...

10. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,520
    Basically anything you need can be created as the WordPress addon community is much larger than the XF addon community.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  11. Tecca

Tecca Fan

+358
    One of my sites uses WP/XenForo along with XenWord: https://www.megamifuse.com/

The recent comments on the home page are both WP comments and forum posts (users can post to either the topic or the comments section). There are widgets that come with the plugin for threads/nodes/etc as well, but I don't use them on that site.

12. Optic

Optic Enthusiast

+53
    MaxxamillionMaxxamillion I just use RSS to show a list of recent forum topics in my footer...

As others have mentioned XenWord works quite well for bridging comments between a discussion thread and given WP post. An example:
    https://animeforums.net/charlotte-episode-1-review/
    https://animeforums.net/community/threads/charlotte-01-i-think-about-others.1550/

It's a much bigger administrative burden though having to maintain the two systems but so far so good. :)

That looks awesome, good stuff. :tup: I was a big fan of Persona 4... Persona 5 looks interesting...

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  13. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,163
    Can you have all old users on your XF forum have an account with WP without them creating a new one?

14. Tecca

Tecca Fan

+358
    Yup yup. I think with the latest version of XenWord you create extra usergroups in XenForo, then you map them from WordPress to the ones in XF (since you may not want Moderators to be Authors, you could make a "WordPress Author" group in XF as a secondary usergroup and then map that usergroup to WP's Author. Or you could simply map Mods to Author if that's what you want too).

It's all fairly streamlined for your users, and doesn't take too long to set it up initially. From my experience, anyway.

15. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+586
    What about using the featured threads or Bob's article manager as homepage?

WordPress is good for blog entries, but totally sucks keeping both WP and XF up to date and dealing with interlinking the two scripts, matching the layouts, etc...

16. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,163
    I've bought bobs Ams I'm waiting on some fixes currently so looking at other options in the mean time

17. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+586
    Ahhh...I would wait for the fixes instead of doing double work. Get people posting cool articles in threads now, then you can convert them later. That way you're well stocked with content once his system suits your needs.

18. fattony69

fattony69 Cool Guy on Taz

+33
    Do you really need to link the two databases? It would be a little extra work, but it would save you from worrying about updates causing any issues to the script or database.

19. tekboi

tekboi XF Student

+30
    I'm pretty sure XenWord would do the trick for what you want. I use it, although I don't use it for the same purposes you do. I just use it to cross post articles and have the post integrated as wordpress comments. But yea... XenWord is what you need :)

20. LPH

LPH Sponsor

+204
    Thank you for being supportive. I'm not a programmer, developer, or expert by any means. I couldn't have told you the importance of a semicolon, meaning of encapsulation or singleton pattern four years ago. This is why over 100 hours were spent on XenWord this month alone. Does it show? Nope.

Sometimes my time is spent trying to understand why WordPress has two similar functions that act different ways. Sometimes tracking down a bug report is a wild goose chase. I swear I looked at get_the_author_description add_filter line 25 times or more before realizing a bug was in a different file.

Anyway, life is good. Some people are awesome. XenWord development continues. 3.1.2 seems to fix issues reported in the bug report forum. The future awaits for the next bug report ;)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted