wordpress news site that will grow into an eshop

Discussion in 'Blogs, Wikis, and other CMP's' started by dimitris, Dec 3, 2018.

1. dimitris

dimitris Aspirant

+1
    Hello everyone.

I just created a new website with wordpress. I installed a free theme, suitable for news, which also offers a paid PRO version.

The site has a very specific topic and my idea is to start it as a news site, do some SEO over a period, so that it gains DA and visibly, and then attach an eshop to it. (I have my reasons not to start immediately as an eshop.)

It’s been some time since the last I kept myself busy with Wordpress and I’d like to ask your expert opinion on this: What eshop software (maybe freeware?) is going to integrate well with my news-site, when the time comes?

btw. any comment, idea, advice about my new venture is welcome. :)

Thanks a lot :)

2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,863
    Check out Woocommerce

3. HenryZ

HenryZ Aspirant

+9
    Good Luck with your project. i think it is a good idea to make some loyal Niche audience and DA before going for the conversion.

4. dimitris

dimitris Aspirant

+1
    I know about woocommerce, of course. I thought I might get a more elaborate answer here, something from experience. :)

HenryZHenryZ, thanks. I hope it will work the way I think it will. :)

5. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,863
    You have others look here. But Woocommerce is i think the biggest one there is with many plugins that can be used.

6. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,221
    WooCommerce with some premium add-ons for functionality.
    Either that - or revisit your idea for a *free* theme and shell out the dollars for a premium theme specifically tailored for the shopping experience. These sorts of premium themes generally include a bulk of enhanced functionality to make your WC store so much more functional especially as concerns the user-side experience anyway. It's an investment - but if you're looking to succeed - you'll likely want to make such an investment first before finding out that you need to shell out a lot of extra money to enhance the "free" theme whose WC integration offers very few enhancements to the script.

Hope this makes sense...

J.

7. dimitris

dimitris Aspirant

+1
    It does make sense and thanks for all the input. Matter of fact, the "pro" versions I've seen up to now, cost something like 70 $ which is of course very affordable.

I plan to proceed with setting up a test wooCommerce eshop already, see how this works out. Now, reading here and there, I understand that it's a good idea to create and use a child theme.

So far, I like the eStore theme. And I'm willing to pay for the PRO version, if it turns up to be what I need.

Here are my next steps:
    1. Install WooCommerce
    2. Create a child theme following these instructions here
    3. Customize the child theme

Am I going the right way?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.