Wordpress fast like ferrari

Discussion in 'Wordpress' started by Empire, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Empire

Empire Devotee

+500
    What are methods u can make wordpress site faster?

Looking into optimizing images, what tools cud u use to do that?

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,414
    WordPress itself provides what seems to be some reasonable information on what you asking. It's certainly worth a read and should point you in the right direction: https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Optimization

[EDIT] Scroll up for the full article.

3. Know Your Role

Know Your Role Aspirant

+15
    Use a cache plugin, I use this

https://wp-rocket.me/

It costs money but its head and shoulders above the rest. (Lazy load is fantastic)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. LPH

LPH Sponsor

+204
  5. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+856
    Don't load too many scripts and styles on every page. Or in other words... use wp_dequeue_script for things like contact form scripts and then have them only load on the page with the actual form. Or have them loaded in the footer rather than header, so they don't page loading.

You should also make sure to disable any plugins you're not actually using, to stop resources being wasted on things that have no practical effect.

6. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+592
  7. Dewlance

Dewlance Aspirant

+0
    1. Use less plugin.
    2. Use light-weigh theme and use less banners, etc which use more bandwidth.

Cache plugin and host your site on SSD disk.

8. Know Your Role

Know Your Role Aspirant

+15
    I also agree with this, my Wordpress was running slow lately so I disabled all plugins and woah, speedy fast website again.

I had to enable plugins one by one determining which one was causing the slow page speeds.

9. Whitesky

Whitesky Aspirant

+12
    I'm currently running this setup on one of my sites, since it's pretty massive and resource intensive:

1. WP Smush plugin to losslessly optimize images on the fly
    2. W3 Total Cache with some various extensive optimization settings from different guides on Google
    3. Mirror CDN, which you can setup via W3 Total Cache. Essentially you serve CSS, JS, and images via proxy domains such as js.yoursitename.com, css.yoursitename.com, etc. This prevents download bottlenecks as most browsers only fetch several resources from a given domain at a time. This allows those same resources to be fetched in parallel.
    4. Minify all your scripts and CSS, there's free online drop-and-convert tools available
    5. Combine your JS and CSS scripts via your Cache plugin
    6. Use advice above where you dequeue scripts from pages where they aren't needed (however this can be tricky if you're combining files mentioned above via cache plugin, as then they're "lumped" together)
    7. Use CSS and gradients as much as possible to replace images used in your theme (old system of image tiles, etc)
    8. Use GTMetrix.com to track your speed, analyze your weak points. A good cache plugin like WP-Super-Cache or W3TC can accomplish most of the "common problems" Wordpress has by default (Expires, Gzip, Headers, etc)
    9. Reduce your DOM elements. Some of your site pages, especially if you use page builders like Visual Bakery Composer, can have tons of nested divs upon nested divs. Sometimes it's better to just manually code your pages for cleaner DOM layout, or be more efficient with your page builder practices (combining rows, columns, etc)
    10. Research/clean your plugin usage - If you have a test/copy instance of your live site, I'd suggest running P3 Plugin Profiler (Although some report it's not working on latest PHP versions if your server uses it), and it will analyze your plugins and find which are causing the most speed reduction and load.
    11. Consider disabling post revisions if you truly don't need them, and run a DB optimizer (after doing thorough reading on it first of course) such as WP Sweep. Recommended to do this on a mirror copy first before live, and always backup your DB.
    12. Consider modifying Wordpress Admin heartbeat API as there's a few references as to how to decrease it's load on the server
    Some great info here:
    https://smallbiztrends.com/2013/11/wordpress-site-runs-slow-fixes.html
    http://www.wpbeginner.com/wordpress-performance-speed/

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted