Woltlab Suite - any good?

Discussion in 'WoltLab Burning Board' started by Maddox, Aug 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+922
    I'll be retiring next year so will have plenty of time on my hands. I currently have two sites; one is up and running and the other is a WIP. The finished one is running on XF2 the WIP is going to run on IPS. The XF site is a passion, the WIP is the beginning of a passion and will be a help site.

Now with lots of time on my hands I would like to open up another site based on a long standing passion. I've never used Woltlab in a live environment; I've used their test drive model some time ago and it looks really cool; there have been updates to it since. So my question is, has anyone got a live running Woltlab site and can I have some insight as to how you feel about the software and where it's heading?

The new site will be image, video and audio heavy as far as member usage is concerned, so can Woltlab handle this?

Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

BTW: I'm looking at the forum and blogs initially.

;)

2. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+633
    no

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,824
    No in that you're not running it in a live environment or no that it's not suitable for media heavy forum?

4. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+633
    no its not any good

5. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+922
    Would you care to elaborate on this, for example where does it fail or fall down in comparison to other forum software?

Have you had any personal experience with the software? If have what problems got in the way that prevents you from recommending it?

I need a little more than 'no'

;)

6. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+633
    well ive never used it so i guess it could be good

i tried to check it out for critique but all i could find was world of tanks websites

dont see where they can offer anything better then ips except price and you get whay you pay for

this is only my opinion

7. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,560
    The biggest issue will be forum support - as in going to their forum and actually asking questions and getting answers. Most of their admins are native German speakers and very few participate on the English side of the content. It can take a while before an asked question gets answered in the forum, and frequently it was by one of the developers when I was using WBB. I still have a license for one of the older versions but never updated it to the latest version, so I can't really speak to it. Overall I liked the script but some of it just seemed quirky to me from a user standpoint.
    I don't currently have a site up running it - but now that you mention WBB I guess I really need to look at it again.
    Their Calendar app was a better one than that which IPS has in it, but unlike IPS, with WBB it's an additional cost.

Unlike fixerfixer, I'm not fixated on IPS.... I know that different tools are needed for different jobs.

• List
  8. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+922
    Tracy PerryTracy Perry thanks for the insight regarding support and help. I don't mind quirky as long it doesn't impact on performance, as this new site will be media heavy (as in videos, images and music). I don't want to buy into another IPS or XF licence and the freebies are OK if all you want is a basic forum. I'll start with the forums and blog if I do decide to go with WBB and perhaps, depending on uptake, the media gallery if there is a need or request for it.

;)

9. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,560
    As far as the video goes, as long as it's hosted with YouTube like services it should work fine. Not sure if their gallery now allows direct uploads like XenForo and IPS does. Needless to say, all the galleries will allow image uploads, but the music may be a little more problematic if wanting it to play from the users browser directly.
    They allow you to get a 14 day (think it is) demo from their site - do it would be worth checking. I looked and I'm not going to pay out around $170 for it to just play with it as if I was going to do that I'd personally put that towards the $375 that IPS wants for a site I have currently running.
    It wasn't a bad script - it just worked a little different than I was used to and some of the features (like some of the editor functions) were a little klunky to me. If you wanted some "difference" to the site to set it apart from others in the US then WBB is a valid way to go as most of their owners sites are in the EU zone of influence.

One thing I do like about WBB is they provide the core as a free download for anyone, and it will work somewhat like an articles system (think very weak WordPress setup). Then you can add the other apps onto it.
    One thing I found very weak (and still do in their current demo) is their Anti-Spam features... it's pretty much just dependent upon recaptcha.

10. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+922
    Tracy PerryTracy Perry many thanks again for the insights. It would be predominantly YT videos, but the ability to add others would be a bonus, even if it was through HTML (not even sure if that's possible on WBB, but it would only be applicable to Admins).

The one thing that does concern me is the spam mitigation. I find it amusing and alarming that when you launch a new site with the hope of attracting members, there is a flurry of spammers that manage to find your site, but not many people you want lol.

I'll give their free trial another run and see how it performs - many thanks again for the insights.

;)

11. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,072
    Wotlab in general should work fine for your basics, especially if youd rather have app-specific sites instead of building the community on top of a forum.
    You could for example buy just 2 galleries (2x50$), hosting each on their own site with separate databases (1 for images, the other only videos) or sharing the same base (userlist, staff, permissions). Going with alternative forumware would raise expenses significantly in compareason so youd at least have a low-pressure cost-effective solution.

Wotllab's gallery 3.1 and newer can upload and embed remotedly hosted images and videos ([introduced Q1 2018](https://community.woltlab.com/thread/262959-videos/)). You can embed youtube videos and have members comments on your site.
    As for audio, you could surely download it from the RM as files but no idea if it can be streamed directly in the gallery or forum like youtube videos (local files, as opposed to streaming platforms like soundcloud). Maybe dtdesigndtdesign could lift ambiguity here

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  12. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+922
    LeadCrowLeadCrow many thanks for the insight on the gallery - there are features you mentioned that I never considered, such as being able to use YT videos which is important for the site. I didn't think of galleries as I thought YT would not be on the table, now this changes the landscape.

I'd appreciate any input from dtdesigndtdesign for some insight into the software.

;)

13. dtdesign

dtdesign Developer

+655
    The gallery does support both videos from 3rd party sites (YouTube, DailyMotion and Vimeo supported out of the box) and by manual upload, eventually using the browser's HTML5 video to play it. However, the manual upload should be taken with a grain of salt, because it doesn't actually convert the videos, but stores them as-is. This can cause issue when some more obscure codecs are used which aren't supported anywhere, also it naturally cannot apply any sort of compression.

Speaking of the demo, it runs for 14 days, but we can extend it at any time, just leave us an email a few days before expiration and we'll make the adjustments. Just make sure not to be late, the removal process is automatic and has no sense of mercy ;)

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • List
  14. Ali.Ch

Ali.Ch Aspirant

+20
    Hello everyone,

Sorry I really didnt want to reply to this topic as many others already have provided information.

But I get super angry with some people who with complete NO KNOWLEDGE regarding a forum software come and say a simple "no" !!!!! never trust such answers..

Ok my personal experience with Woltlab is this :

I started using it about 3 years ago, considering the fact that I have 3 huge forums, 1 VB3 (heavily customized and thats is why I am still using it... however I am switching to Woltlab), onw XenForo (no need to say why.. as everybody knows how good XF is) and one Woltlab.

I have to say when I saw woltlab for the first time I thought ok ! another copy of XenForo then I went ahead and researched about their history and I got shocked !

They are pretty old (almost the same age as vBulletin) but the reason that nobody knows them is that there were active in Germany speaking countries only and only in recent years they have gone global.

Their system is completely robust and the forum and other features should actually get installed on their own FREE platform which is kind of a CMS. Hence their article system is actually comes free and then the forum is installed on that.

I have been super happy with its performance and how optimize it is. Using it is actually very easy as all the updates are done through the admin (similar to wordpress).

Their default settings (without any optimizations) can take heavy load (of course it depends on your server ... I am using LiteSpeed + caching).

The only downsides which I have seen :

- Not enough Themes
    - Not as many plugins as XenForo
    - No Wordpress bridge
    - No LiteSpeed Cache plugin

Other than this.. as a 13 years forum admin I would definitely say it worth a try.

AND .. lets talk about their support... IT IS JUST GREAT !

Way better than IPS or even XenForo which is truly one of the best supports ... They are providing great German support.

And I have to say .. I am not German in the first place to advertise for them... and everything I said is just my personal experience.

If someone asks me what forum software to use... I would say :
    1- Woltlab
    2- XenForo
    3- Nothing else !

Good luck mate

• Like Like x 2
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  15. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+922
    Ali.ChAli.Ch many thanks for taking the time to come into this topic and share your experiences with Woltlab. I have to admit that I've been keeping an eye on this platform and I've actually tried their Core and was very impressed with it. This is the primary reason I have been giving this platform some serious thought as I need some kind of CMS (not a huge fan of WordPress) with excellent backup modules (forum, gallery and possibly blogs) - once I get my current WIP up and running I'll take it for another test drive and work from there. Thanks again for helping nudge me forward and towards Woltlab.

;)

16. Jason5

Jason5 Enthusiast

+32
    I like to know what is the renewal price of this suite? Core + forum alone?

17. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,863
    Well if you buy Core + Forum for 90 euro ex vat then you can run and get updates for that version you buy. So if you buy for example 4.0.0 you can use every version that is 4.0.x but if version 4.1.0 comes and want to run that version you pay a renewal fee. dtdesigndtdesign should be able to explain more. Because its not standard like other software.

• List
  18. dtdesign

dtdesign Developer

+655
    We use a slightly different version system for historic reasons, where both X.y.z and x.Y.z are treated as major releases:
    • X.y.z are paid upgrades and increments for the X place denotes a new software generation, usually not backwards-compatible.
    • x.Y.z are paid upgrades too, but are releases with new features and are based on the immediate predecessor within the same X-generation.
    • x.y.Z are security and stability updates, those are always free of charge and not restricted by subscription or anything like that.
    All paid versions are supported for at least 2 years after a successor has been released. From the time of purchase until the official end of life, both the ticket support and the security/stability updates are included without exceptions. This means that if you stay on a specific version for whatever reason, you'll still receive all related updates and have access to the support even if you have not purchased the latest release.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,863
    dtdesigndtdesign thank you. But what do you pay when you want to upgrade so from x.1.z to x.2.z. This way people know what they need to save up for next version.

20. dtdesign

dtdesign Developer

+655
    You can expect 50% of the price of a new license for upgrades from the predecessor.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.