Windows or Linux server hosting? Ultimate debate

Discussion in 'Servers and Control Panels' started by Luuk, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Luuk

Luuk Aspirant

+3
    I've read dozens of articles on which OS to choose for hosting and still, I want to hear more opinions. Can you maybe throw some tips from your personal experience?

2. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,197
    OK, I'm curious since I didn't realize anybody was actually debating it. :cautious:

What are the perceived advantages of choosing a Windows host over Linux?

3. pierce

pierce Habitué

+708
    Enterprise in quotes uses windows.

But for me I don't want to pay $30 a month extra just for a Windows license on a leased server.

Also backing configs up on Linux is easy. Windows? Buried everywhere.

It's going to be Linux from me.

4. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,238
    Linux and other Unix and Unix-like operating systems won this field long ago. The only debate... are articles about it, usually written by web hosting companies, to try to get people to their web site.

5. Luuk

Luuk Aspirant

+3
    Thank you for your replays, sorry for the question, I surely got caught in dozens of articles online. Sorry to ask you more, but maybe you could then suggest what service provider to choose? Now I've been looking for linux VPS in this time4vps.com website, maybe you've heard something about them? I see they operate in Europe so I thought maybe they are trust-worthy and prices seem reasonable. Sorry for stupid questions.

6. pierce

pierce Habitué

+708
    Use hetzner.de

7. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+332
    Horribly oversold. For Europe, use Hetzner as mentioned above.

8. HD-Sam

HD-Sam Aspirant

+9
    Unless your requirements call for Windows, use Linux. A lot less headache IMO

9. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+46
    I don't see any strong reason to go for Windows. Unless ofcourse your staff or the developers who only know Windows. Otherwise Linux pretty much dominates in VPS and dedicated server instance.

10. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+152
    You can experience the joy of suffering day and night.

Slow, insecure, buggy, crashes every so often, programs you want to run probably won't be compatible. See, Windows is great for servers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.