Will you buy Woltlab Burning Board ?

Splinter2

Participant
I haven't upgraded to WSC 3.1 yet as I only bought 3.0 back in December, but I expect I probably will soon.
However, I did install User IP Log and have around 20 IP addresses blacklisted, yet still get seemingly innocuous sign-ups who then go on to post rubbish.Not sure if they're bots or paid spammers, but I could certainly do without them and the only available anti-spam seems to be Re-Captcha.
Yes, being in German can be challenging but Google Translate comes to the rescue, although I do spend hours sometimes, trawling through their forums and plugin sections when looking for an answer to something.
Also it's worth bearing in mind the 'lost in translation' aspect as some replies may sound very short and direct, since they are probably direct translations from German to English. I've had a few wtf! moments but quickly realised that there was no mal intent.
I'm still trying to figure out how rid myself of these spammers though.

Gary

Fan
Spam will always be an issue no matter what forum you go for. It's just how hard that particular software makes it to make sure it is pushed back as much as possible.

In saying that, I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and jumping onto the WoltLab bandwagon. It's simply awesome and does everything I need it to. The features and benefits of the WoltLab Suite Core is what's making the difference for me. I can have a fully functioning website working in tandem with the WoltLab Suite Forum and I doubt I'll ever run into any issues provided I keep the instance as bone stock as possible. As I've mentioned before, I have never been a fan of using numerous plugins, extensions or modifying things too much as it makes upgrading and updating complicated.

Thanks for your feedback guys. I'm inclined to post a full review on the product as well at some stage once I get my hands more dirty with the software.

Jared Balfour

Neophyte
I haven't upgraded to WSC 3.1 yet as I only bought 3.0 back in December, but I expect I probably will soon.
However, I did install User IP Log and have around 20 IP addresses blacklisted, yet still get seemingly innocuous sign-ups who then go on to post rubbish.Not sure if they're bots or paid spammers, but I could certainly do without them and the only available anti-spam seems to be Re-Captcha.
Yes, being in German can be challenging but Google Translate comes to the rescue, although I do spend hours sometimes, trawling through their forums and plugin sections when looking for an answer to something.
Also it's worth bearing in mind the 'lost in translation' aspect as some replies may sound very short and direct, since they are probably direct translations from German to English. I've had a few wtf! moments but quickly realised that there was no mal intent.
I'm still trying to figure out how rid myself of these spammers though.

This is why I'm switching from WSC 3.1 over to XenForo. I brought the issue up on Woltlabs forum to crickets. I never used to have any spam issues, after a few Woltlab updates I am now getting spam like crazy and when I check my recaptcha settings on google it is saying my site is verifying captchas less than 50% of the time. Everything is set up properly on both sides which tells me its a Woltlab issue.

Due to this and a few other things I used XenForo for a new project and have been very impressed with it. I like WSC3.1 overall but just don't feel like dealing with it anymore.