Will you be upgrading to XenForo 2.0?

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by CarpCharacin, Oct 26, 2016.

1. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+123
    I am planning to. The only thing I really have to wait for after it is released is the style. I am installing a better style on my site and hopefully that comes out shortly after XF 2.0 comes out. I know it could take a few months, but I don't want to wait 6 months to a year to upgrade. I mentioned this in the xenforo 2.0 thread on xenforo.com. I have noticed a lot of large forums moving to XenForo 1.5 recently. If I was the admin of a large forum, I would just wait for XenForo 2.0. I upgraded my site from phpbb to XenForo 1.5 in august because I didn't like spending time on my site when it was running phpbb. I like XF much better. I have kept add-ons to a minimum on my site. I have 3 add-ons installed. Are you planning to upgrade to XF 2.0?

2. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+7,460
    Eventually. When it's time.

3. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,371
    When I'm ready to fork out some $$$ then yes I will renew my license and get the upgrade :)

4. doubt

doubt Fanatic

+1,523
    If Mike & Chris will make it worth to upgrade to it: Yes.

5. Maddox

Maddox Adherent

+281
    Seriously the ONLY time to upgrade to XF 2.0 is when it has been tried and tested and any major bugs ironed out, plus when any add-ons or themes you are using that make your site function are updated to the new system.

Unless you are using out of the box with no modifications it would be folly to jump straight in; even then it is better to test the water and see if it's going to be kind to you, rather than dive in and be swept away with the current lol.

If your site is working fine I'd leave it for about 3/6 months depending on feedback.

;)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+2,774
    I keep both my licenses current (although I am thinking of disposing of one). BUT, it's not because I plan on upgrading to 2.0 when it's released - it's to help support the XenForo developers.
    I'm honestly needing to phase back on the number of sites (and domains) to only 2 or 3 forums and then my blog. Only thing I'm "obsessive" about keeping updated to the latest/greatest is the blog.. and that's because it's WordPress.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  7. Stoker

Stoker Aspirant

+16
    Kier too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+136
    Yeah this.. ^ :tup:
    We will most likely, once everything's ironed out and if we know what our add-ons will behave like. A lot have been custom made and we've spent a fortune. (£k's) so that will be a huge deciding factor for us too as no doubt they will need redevelopment.

9. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,036
    Gonna be a while anyway before XF2 is suitable for using as a live site. You won't even see a version of it you can install until some time in 2017 reading XF forum earlier. So you have "plenty time" on your hands at minute before it'll be suitable for using as a live site update from XF 1.x

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+136
    Yes going to be quite some time I think.

11. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,171
    I'm hoping to do so when it is safe :D

12. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,528
    Most likely to 2.1 as that might be the time when most addons are compatible with XF2.
    I wouldn't be surprised f this will be 2018.

13. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+123
    2.1 in 2018 or 2.0 in 2018?

14. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,408
    I will almost certainly install a copy to look as soon as time allows. Whether or not I'll actually upgrade an existing forum will depend on a number of factors most of which should be obvious. At any rate the upgrade process is likely to take many months if not longer assuming I decide it's right thing for my forum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. doubt

doubt Fanatic

+1,523
    Maybe.

Permission.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  16. Stoker

Stoker Aspirant

+16
    Maybe what? That post doesn't show anything!

17. Creaky

Creaky Adherent

+99
    Once the addons I use are ready then yes.

18. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+7,460
    I think he's insinuating that because Slavik said "with Mike's permission" that Kier doesn't have a say

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  19. pierce

pierce Fan

+559
    Xf 2 could be negativitly received by the community, developers may provide feedback that uncovers major bugs...

Could push xf2 back years....

Only 3 guys, one massive product with a very high percieved value and expectations are enormous....

It would take one minor thing to hurt that reputation. But that means the product is valuable and means a lot to people. This is like people queuing up to be the first with the new iPhone 7!

It means a lot to me because it got me involved in running my community again, vb4 and ipb products were lacking.

Coders for xf are currently busy(from the hard to find coders thread unless I totally read it wrong).

I'm prepping for January, adding graphics, icons etc. And if I figured that I needed to spend 80 hours on an idea that could be game changing I'll gladly do it if it means doing it again in xf2.

I will adopt xf 2 on my smaller sites straight away to develop for the bigger sites, and become familiar with it before pushing it at members.

I suppose it's different adoption rates for different forums.

If the only thing you did was skin your forum upgrading immediately once you find an equal or better skin for xf2 is possible.

But if you own a Ferrari 458, it doesn't mean you have to or need to buy a 488 because it's new..er..

I think with age I stopped obsessing with what was next or coming around the corner and live in the present.

20. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+326
    So far, the stability of every XenForo release has been such that people upgrade immediately with no ill effects. Heck people run beta on live sites and it works fine. It's back to the vB3.0/3.5/3.6/3.7 days when releases were well-tested and had only minor bugs discovered after release. I think we'll see live sites go to 2.0 RC.

Not like vB4/vB5 where every release contains show-stoppers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted