Will Tapatalk App indexing by Google affect your website ranking?

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by Alfa1, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,663
    I wonder if this will have any effect on your ranking. After all this is not your website content being indexed, but tapatalk's cache of your content.

2. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+272
    Does app indexing affect Google ranking?
    App indexing does not impact your website's ranking in the search results page. It does affect how a search result of your website is displayed, namely by adding a button to open the content in your app if the user has the app installed.

https://developers.google.com/app-indexing/faq

3. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,663
    Yes, but this is not your app. Its tapatalk's app showing content from tapatalks servers. Not from your server.

4. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+272
    From what I have read it doesn't index anything anymore than it does in a regular search. It links to the content just like it would link to any other search result your website has.

If you use Tapatalk (and maybe even BYO) and a person with Tapatalk (and maybe even BYO) is searching for something, it provides a link to your app instead.

This makes sense to me. Why have an app or have your site in Tapatalk if you don't want people using it?

That is just from reading what you linked to and browsing around their website. If you have Wal-Marts app and search for something that ends up having a link to Wal-Mart, then it will open in Wal-Marts app to the correct page. It isn't actually reindexing the content from the Wal-Mart app, it is just providing a user with a link to that exact part of the app where they can purchase or find information directly from the app.

5. Mopar1973Man

Mopar1973Man Fan

+184
    Might fix the Tapatalk problem but still doesn't fix the micro data problem.

www.schema.org

It's good to see Google walking with Tapatalk and correcting to some degree.

6. Knome

Knome Neophyte

+1
    Hi guys, the response we got from Google is that:

"The new app indexing don't have any effects on SEO currently. However, this is something we're always tinkering around with and app installation may be a good indicator for higher rankings."

If that is indeed the direction Google takes down the line, this may possibly positively impact search results for your forum content and the more app( in this case Tapatalk) users a forum has, the more Google will trust a forum's content in its search results. But as it stands, the new app indexing has no effect positive or negative effects on SEO.

7. CarlosX360

CarlosX360 Fan

+143
    No, it doesn't. In fact, it should increase your mobile conversion once google starts indexing all of their pages.

Also, google currently does this with their apps on google play. Nothing new.

8. esquire

esquire Habitué

+629
    Google has also long discussed and now indexing content directly from apps, since some of it isn't stored on the web.

9. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+212
    I received this email today, as I suspect many have:

What is the general feeling on this amongst forum operators?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.