Will I have issues setting up permissions like this?

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Igneous, May 18, 2017 at 4:04 AM.

1. Igneous

Igneous Aspirant

+2
    Hello there,

My plan for permissions is to have it setup like this:

The CL and the number will appear next to the node name, they will only be able to see forums their clearance level matches (and all clearance levels beneath them, so 4 could see 3, 2, & 1)

Additional Usergroups will work like this, say somebody wants to join the staff team for one of the games our community supports. They would be added to
    and would be able to see the private forum for staff/team leaders for that specific game.

Is there any possible issues that could develop on XF for setting up permissions this way?

Thanks.

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Enthusiast

+70
    Definitely possible in XenForo as it stands right now. If one scopes the permission to what each group needs access to, simply expanding their rights would grant them additional permissions - effectively adding a new 'clearance level'

3. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,682
    In Xenforo, it's often best to have everyone's Primary group as Registered. The reasons escape me.

4. Igneous

Igneous Aspirant

+2
    Thank you for your replies.

Right now I'm setting it so that a node category I don't want to be public to private; setting view node access for specific usergroups and then on individual forums inside this category I'm revoking everything from the usergroups that shouldn't see that forum.

Should I change how I'm doing this?

5. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,108
    One reason would be installing a new add-on that requires view permissions. Having users in different groups would require you to adjust the view permissions for the add-on in each of those groups. If you have everyone's primary group (Registered) the same then you only need to adjust it there and revoke it for any other secondary groups if need be.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,108
    Seems correct, yes.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted